Possible 2022 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
danielkimzs
Division: B
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Possible 2022 Events

Post by danielkimzs »

What robot event wouldn't be vulnerable to pay-to-play/ play-to-win?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

You can imagine one that limits you to a specific set of parts (no buying fancy motor controllers that do all your work for you). Whether you can come up with one with a suitably limited parts list that is also interesting to do is the challenge.
learner2
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by learner2 »

Does anybody know which 2022 events are going to be in the same time block for normal invitationals? I don't want to start studying for events that will overlap.
kman1234t
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

learner2 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 8:41 pm Does anybody know which 2022 events are going to be in the same time block for normal invitationals? I don't want to start studying for events that will overlap.
Until the rules manual is released in September we won't know what most invites will be doing, however you can assume that events that are similar (such as remote sensing and dynamic planet) likely will not conflict.
thegroundsloth
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by thegroundsloth »

Do people have predictions for the remsen topic? I've heard many different things
__
(_ . \
. \ . \ ^ ^ .
. . \ . . . . . . \ __
.... |_|- - - -|_| . __>
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

Elevated bridges- Will this be on the online software or building using real wood? because I think if the latter was implemented, it would be way more interesting.
I've also looked at the rules manual (2009) for this event on soinc and the rules seem weird. Will they be revised?
thanks for the help! :o)
B)
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

sneepity wrote: May 25th, 2021, 6:02 am Elevated bridges- Will this be on the online software or building using real wood? because I think if the latter was implemented, it would be way more interesting.
I've also looked at the rules manual (2009) for this event on soinc and the rules seem weird. Will they be revised?
What do you mean by "weird"?

The rules are revised every year, so you can expect the details to be a little different. But the general principles will remain - you can expect to load the bridge with up to 15kg of sand in a bucket hanging from a 5cm x 5cm loading block, like the other balsa events. There will be a mininum span that you have to bridge, and a minimum height for the gap under your bridge (that makes it a bridge, rather than just a beam). And you can expect the base score to be the ratio of weight held to bridge mass.

I suspect there won't be rules about the size of wood that you're allowed to use. Other details tend to be imposed to make the year sufficiently different from previous years that you can't just unthinkingly copy a previous design.
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

knightmoves wrote: May 25th, 2021, 7:48 am
sneepity wrote: May 25th, 2021, 6:02 am Elevated bridges- Will this be on the online software or building using real wood? because I think if the latter was implemented, it would be way more interesting.
What do you mean by "weird"?

The rules are revised every year, so you can expect the details to be a little different. But the general principles will remain - you can expect to load the bridge with up to 15kg of sand in a bucket hanging from a 5cm x 5cm loading block, like the other balsa events. There will be a mininum span that you have to bridge, and a minimum height for the gap under your bridge (that makes it a bridge, rather than just a beam). And you can expect the base score to be the ratio of weight held to bridge mass.

I suspect there won't be rules about the size of wood that you're allowed to use. Other details tend to be imposed to make the year sufficiently different from previous years that you can't just unthinkingly copy a previous design.
By weird I mean the maximum height of the bridge and the minimum lengths. It doesn't add up- It requests that the bridge is at least 45 cm long and it can only be 20 cm tall. It seems like with this, it'll be impossible to make it support 15 lbs unless we get more space for where the legs can touch the base (it's currently 5cm).

Again I haven't even tested it yet or tried it so I may be completely wrong! Just some input I guess. I hope the rules are revised, though.
Edit: Actually I think I'll try it out using the west point bridge builder.
Last edited by sneepity on May 25th, 2021, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
B)
jaguarhunter
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by jaguarhunter »

Does anyone know if Forestry will come back anytime soon? It's an ID event last run in 2012 + 2013, and I'm not sure why Ornithology is receiving a 3rd year in the rotation when other events (like Machines) on a 2 year cycle were rotated out for 2022.

I LOVED Forestry so I really want to supervise it at some tournaments before I graduate college lol
Northville '18, UMich '22

Vice Executive Director - University of Michigan Science Olympiad Invitational (UMSO)

Instagram: @umichscioly
Twitter: @umichscioly
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

jaguarhunter wrote: May 25th, 2021, 3:27 pm Does anyone know if Forestry will come back anytime soon? It's an ID event last run in 2012 + 2013, and I'm not sure why Ornithology is receiving a 3rd year in the rotation when other events (like Machines) on a 2 year cycle were rotated out for 2022.

I LOVED Forestry so I really want to supervise it at some tournaments before I graduate college lol
Machines is the only event that is being rotating out early. Forestry should return in 2022-23.
These users thanked the author pb5754 for the post:
jaguarhunter (May 25th, 2021, 4:08 pm)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th

Return to “General Competition”