Events 2017-2018

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Locked
chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by chalker » April 6th, 2017, 5:30 am

kenniky wrote:Hovercraft involves electricity; also those four are split into two committees that can make their own independent decisions
And Battery Buggy will involve electricity (although that is Division B). In the past Mission Possible Div C has allowed electricity. I'm not sure what the plans are for it next year. And Game On definitely involves Programming.

The crux of what I'm hearing is "we want a robot related event". For various reasons, the Tech Committee has decided to not include one in Div C next year. This is no different than what happened in 2014 - 2015 if you look at the historical event rotations.

That's not to say it's not important to voice your concerns, since many committee members do watch thread like this. My personal opinion though is that it's not a compelling argument to say things like 'teams invest so much money in robotic parts you need to include an event'. That's exactly the kind of thing we want to discourage - we don't want these events turning into races to invest a ton of money in the best parts. We want there to be very low startup costs involved. A much stronger argument I think is "certain groups of kids will be much less interested in participating in SO without a robot event". However, even that involved some behaviors we want to discourage. SO is all about being on a TEAM. Far too many participants don't get involved enough in the whole team aspect and focus just on 'their' individual event of interest. There are countless stories from alumni of how they weren't interested at all in a particular branch of science until they were 'forced' to participate in a particular SO event that exposed them to it, and now they love it or have even made it part of their career.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

maxxxxx
Member
Member
Posts: 284
Joined: November 30th, 2015, 8:11 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by maxxxxx » April 6th, 2017, 6:09 am

chalker wrote: A much stronger argument I think is "certain groups of kids will be much less interested in participating in SO without a robot event". However, even that involved some behaviors we want to discourage. SO is all about being on a TEAM. Far too many participants don't get involved enough in the whole team aspect and focus just on 'their' individual event of interest. There are countless stories from alumni of how they weren't interested at all in a particular branch of science until they were 'forced' to participate in a particular SO event that exposed them to it, and now they love it or have even made it part of their career.
I think people just need to try new events. I thought I would hate Wind Power so I didn't try it last year, but I picked it up this year and ended up loving it. The same thing happened when I went from B to C, I thought all of the events were boring but most of them are really fun.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

AlbatrossTree
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: March 7th, 2017, 7:12 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by AlbatrossTree » April 6th, 2017, 6:55 am

Does it seem strange that not all or even most of the trial events for nationals appear on the preliminary list of events for next year?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4254
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by Unome » April 6th, 2017, 7:29 am

AlbatrossTree wrote:Does it seem strange that not all or even most of the trial events for nationals appear on the preliminary list of events for next year?
Usually there's no more than one or two that's rotating in next year, since the incoming trials tend to be tested out a few years in advance (for example, Invasives & Green Gen were trialed at the 2013 Nationals), but the distribution is rather unusual this year. Div B look pretty normal to me - Roller Coaster is coming in next year, and I guess Inquiry wants to do something with Rotor Egg Drop again (that rotation has historically not been very stable, and as far as I know they haven't yet decided on what the event will be next year) - but Div C is interesting; Indoor Bottle Rocket doesn't really viably fit in the rotation anytime in the future, and if I remember correctly Electric Wright Stuff was tried at some point in the past and basically scrapped in it's iteration at the time (and it's not like the flight rotation has been unstable, at least not since 2013 when they seem to have figured out a pattern). I suspect they're testing Indoor Bottle Rocket for use in Div B next year or in the future, but I have no idea what's planned for Electric Wright Stuff.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

BTABC123
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: April 6th, 2017, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by BTABC123 » April 6th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Will compound machines or circuit lab come back anytime soon? Not sure what the rotation is like for these physics events.

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by chalker » April 6th, 2017, 7:57 pm

BTABC123 wrote:Will compound machines or circuit lab come back anytime soon? Not sure what the rotation is like for these physics events.
Physics events are generally in a 6 year cycle: 2 years in, 4 years out. The current projected schedule is that circuits will be back in 2 years and compound machines in 3.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by Skink » April 6th, 2017, 8:37 pm

To the comment concerning the biology events not rotating a page or two ago, for whatever it's worth, it is known that Disease Det as-is is stale, and rumor has it that the event may be reworked sometime in the near future. It is unclear what this would look like, but I am in favor of the possibility, as the topic rotation is not significant enough to matter when the core material stays.

Xuax
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: February 26th, 2017, 11:33 am
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by Xuax » April 6th, 2017, 9:37 pm

chalker wrote:
BTABC123 wrote:Will compound machines or circuit lab come back anytime soon? Not sure what the rotation is like for these physics events.
Physics events are generally in a 6 year cycle: 2 years in, 4 years out. The current projected schedule is that circuits will be back in 2 years and compound machines in 3.
What would circuit replace?

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 947
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by Skink » April 7th, 2017, 4:30 am

I believe Shock and Circuit replace KtH and Thermo.

User avatar
appleshake123
Member
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 4:53 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events 2017-2018

Post by appleshake123 » April 7th, 2017, 4:43 am

Skink wrote:I believe Shock and Circuit replace KtH and Thermo.
I think it is replaced by optics
Circuit -> Time -> Optics
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology

Locked

Return to “General Competition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: google and 12 guests