Rotation of tests?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Xrt3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rotation of tests?

Post by Xrt3 » February 12th, 2017, 6:14 pm

How often are tests generally rotated at regional events? I have taken the same Road Scholar test for the past two regionals. Is this typical for a region to do, or is my region just slacking?

dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Rotation of tests?

Post by dragonfruit35 » February 12th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Xrt3 wrote:How often are tests generally rotated at regional events? I have taken the same Road Scholar test for the past two regionals. Is this typical for a region to do, or is my region just slacking?
No, I would say that this is definitely not normal. I have seen tests that were similar, but not the same exact test. That would probably be your region slacking :roll:. Hopefully you did better the second time though :P
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"you have no idea how high i can fly." - michael g. scott

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink » February 13th, 2017, 4:34 am

It's frowned upon to give the same event at the same site. Think of it like this. Invitational tests are dead once they're given because they often circulate. Regional tests are only dead after they're given at the site which they're given. I've been part of several recycling efforts wherein one Regional test I or another wrote is given in another region that hasn't seen it. That's being resourceful. Your supervisor was just lazy. Generally, when these folks are caught doing that (and I've seen it happen when a topic finally rotates and they're still stuck on the old one), they're not asked to help out again.

Other notes:
-Never, ever, ever should folks copy material from the Test Exchange. I see this at least once at invitationals every season.

-On a related note, the event and topic rotations exist partially for this reason. There are some questions that are worth asking perennially (same supervisor, many same participants, same topic, similar but different test), and good, age-appropriate questions do run out, eventually. When the event or topic rotates back in, the supervisor should have a fresh set of participants to use similar questions on again.

kenniky
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by kenniky » February 14th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Last year the DP supervisor ran the same test at Regionals and States, just added more stuff onto the States test

Regionals isn't mandatory in our state (almost invitational-esque) but that's still pretty shady

In addition, the same Circuit Lab test has been run for the last two years (and it's likely to return again)

GG MA
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]

Xrt3

Post by Xrt3 » February 16th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Thanks guys, It's helpful to know that this isn't typical. My region is definitely the type to slack off. Hopefully they change up the test this year, I'd like to see some new material.

Return to “General Competition”