Tryouts vs Acceptance in Your School

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tryouts vs Acceptance in Your School

Post by WhatScience? »

So I was just wondering about this statistic.

In my school about 150/1200 (1/8) of the students tried out).

Of those, 25 made the team.

Our state (NJ) allows a 18 member team at regionals and states instead of the usual 15.

But you did not come in as an alternate. Once you made the tryouts you had to compete for each event you wanted to take part in.

Do your schools use a similar setup?

How do the actual statistics vary?

Thx,
-WhatScience?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Tryouts vs Acceptance in Your School

Post by Unome »

We have roughly 80 of 1900 join the team, with around 60 or so serious enough to actually go to a competition (we don't make cuts until state).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

We had around 20 out of about 1400 in a good year (1.4%). That usually got naturally whittled down to 15 by regionals.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
meierfra
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Post by meierfra »

We have about 20 out of 900. There are no tryouts. For the invitationals, we split the team pretty evenly in half and then depending on how well people do, a varsity team is chosen for regionals. We also mix the teams between invites. Our regional lets us bring jv teams, too, and just last year they started giving out medals for the jv kids that earn them.
Crtomir
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

[Div-B] We have about 45 students out of 750 (6%) that come out for Science Olympiad every year. We don't have tryouts at the middle school level. We try to let all the students compete throughout the season. We can send two 15-person teams to Regionals. For state, we send one 15-person team with sometimes up to 9 alternates who get to do the trial events and generally help out carrying stuff and helping the ones competing with their studying. It's kind of a reward for doing a good job in the season, but not being quite good enough for the top 15.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

Last year we had about 25 people grades 6-8 out of about 200 people (small school). We also had 6 people from 9th grade out of I don't know how many people. 15 people made the team and 2 alternates.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

For those of you who say no tryouts or no cuts until later on, how do you decide who competes each event at invites, and do you think it is fair to the people more deserving of the position when others get a chance?
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

WhatScience? wrote:For those of you who say no tryouts or no cuts until later on, how do you decide who competes each event at invites, and do you think it is fair to the people more deserving of the position when others get a chance?
We don't have tryouts ever, we just have two teams for invites and the coaches decide by how well people did at said invites. (We go to 4, so we have time to switch out partners, try out other people in other events, etc.) People choose the events they want to do at the beginning of the year and if there are events that have no one/one person in it, people volunteer. How do you do tryouts? Do you have one person do a test or pick a partner?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
meierfra
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Post by meierfra »

WhatScience? wrote:For those of you who say no tryouts or no cuts until later on, how do you decide who competes each event at invites, and do you think it is fair to the people more deserving of the position when others get a chance?
Early on, the students choose their favorite events and rank them, 1, 2, or 3. Since we get about 20 students and make 2 teams, everybody gets to do 4 or 5 events at the invites. We've never had more than 4 people pick the same event as their number one choice, so until now, everyone has always been able to do their first choice at invites.

Then you try to split the team evenly in half. When that happens, sometimes people don't get their second choice. That happened to one of my seniors this year. But I explained I wanted to try her in something else that tested at the same time and also give practice to the underclassmen so that when she's gone, there will be someone who has some experience in that event.

She was ok with that, since it was only one invite. Like I said above, we mix the teams between each invite. This helps to determine how to maximize the strengths of the team. And we're lucky to be in Michigan; this year we went to 3 invites.
Macgyver
State: WA

Post by Macgyver »

We usually have 2 teams of 15-18 kids and we take 4 tests (One for each of the 4 science topics) and they're more of placement tests.
Moses Lake High School Wiki:
2016-17- Chem Lab (4th), Write It Do It, Game On, WiFi Lab
2017-18- Hovercraft, Mousetrap Vehicle, Thermodynamics (2nd)
Go Washington!

Return to “General Competition”