What does your school think of your SO team?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
nerdygrlz789
Division: B
Location: i hope the sun shines and it's a beautiful day, and something reminds you, you wish you had stayed.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What does your school think of your SO team?

Post by nerdygrlz789 » May 4th, 2009, 7:30 am

my school considers it stupid with a bunch of nerds...but whatever. this includes the students and the teachers...lol really like no one cares.... :lol:

Helix_Nebula_Freak
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Somewhere gazing at the stars and pondering the nature of man's existence

Re: What does your school think of your SO team?

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak » May 4th, 2009, 7:42 am

Yeah I can see that... mine too...

Oh well! So what if we're "nerds"? All that matters is that we have the time of our lives, which my team does!!!!!
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May

nerdygrlz789
Location: i hope the sun shines and it's a beautiful day, and something reminds you, you wish you had stayed.

Post by nerdygrlz789 » May 4th, 2009, 7:52 am

same!!!obviously....hope u feel better soon!!! lol im in school.... :( .....

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by Pleiades » May 4th, 2009, 9:40 am

Same here. We're thought of as the nerdy kids who's definition of 'fun' is spending the whole week studying. The school doesnt really like us that much because we cost a lot of money. Although after almost defeating the long time 2nd place team at states, we've gained some respect from the administration.

nerdygrlz789

Post by nerdygrlz789 » May 4th, 2009, 11:30 am

ya...now we have gained some respect from the school because we made it to nats, but i'm convinced that the majority of them r faking and they don't really care

sciolyscorpio95

Post by sciolyscorpio95 » May 4th, 2009, 11:51 am

ppl dont care!! i heard some kids today talking abt it. as soon as the first one mentioned SO, they all started cracking up!! its like to them its a huge joke!! oh well, thats their loss (personally, im glad they dont like SO, cuz otherwise i'd have to put up with them at school and SO!! that would suck... :o :o :o )
Regionals 2011: 2nd in Road Scholar, 2nd in Exp. Design, 5th in Solar System
<3 Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, and the Hunger Games
<3 Taylor, The Scene, JB, Muse

"I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me <3"
"I've never heard silence quite this loud"

fli754
State: NY

Post by fli754 » May 4th, 2009, 12:10 pm

teachers love us enough to give us extra credit if we get medals and stuff, but half of the students don't care and the other half think we're nerds with no lives :lol:

blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra » May 4th, 2009, 12:43 pm

My school basically only cares about athletics. We aren't a rich school at all, but we still wasted $1,000,000 on a football field. Our coach submits the necessary forms for gym time in September, but that day I still arrive at the gym to see it filled with sports teams :o .
As with faculty support, I've never heard anyone really say anything. The support we get from teachers is a "Congratulations" from the Math and Science teachers. The custodians are pretty supportive (they let us stay late and whatnot). We don't have a big budget, but it's not like we're fighting for our team shirts. However if you look at the other top ten teams in the state, our budget is pretty tiny.
Especially having 3 teams, the students know of it (though someone once asked me what Science Olympiad was :shock: ). Some people call us nerds, of course, but it's not really a huge problem. They don't really pay any attention.
We don't get a lot of recognition. Our baseball team will win one game or we'll have a wrestling state champion, and they'll be all over the town. We come home with two pairs of state champions, and our high school did amazingly, and you wouldn't even know. I hope we get rocognized when ( :roll: ) we go to Nats next year.
In full color since 2006

yoyosciencekid23

Post by yoyosciencekid23 » May 4th, 2009, 12:47 pm

same with us our school doesn't support us as much as I'd like
every day on our morning announcements it only talks about athletics

the school doesn't spend that much on us either
:( :( :(

we don't have an individual room for science o
we use kind of a big closet backroom thing to store AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
of ur materials
;) ;) ;)
Regionals: Crave the Wave-4th
PSL-1st
Wright Stuff-3rd

States: Crave the Wave-9th
PSL-12th
Wright Stuff-9th
Write-it-Do-it-23rd

Helix_Nebula_Freak
Division: C
Location: Somewhere gazing at the stars and pondering the nature of man's existence

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak » May 4th, 2009, 2:29 pm

sciolyscorpio95 wrote:ppl dont care!! i heard some kids today talking abt it. as soon as the first one mentioned SO, they all started cracking up!! its like to them its a huge joke!! oh well, thats their loss (personally, im glad they dont like SO, cuz otherwise i'd have to put up with them at school and SO!! that would suck... :o :o :o )
This has happened to me so many times! Don't give a crap... they're not worth you're thoughts...

B A GEEK/NERD/(INSERT WHAT OTHER NAMES YOU'VE BEEN CALLED BY SO HATERS HERE) LOUDLY AND PROUDLY!!!!!! :mrgreen:
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May

Return to “General Competition”