Terrible Partners

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
olivia34
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Terrible Partners

Post by olivia34 » December 6th, 2017, 4:47 pm

I once had a partner for dynamic planet that, im not joking, literally did not even know what the phrase tectonic plates meant. Its not even like I wasn't helping her, i made several quizlets, documents, and slideshows for her to study on. Idek what even.

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: KS

Re: Terrible Partners

Post by Schrodingerscat » December 6th, 2017, 5:32 pm

To provide the counter-perspective of how "warm-body" partners can prove useful in a pinch: after my junior year circuit lab partner graduated, I got an underclassman assigned as a partner. I offered to try to teach him a crash course in basic circuit analysis, but he refused. I was pretty good solo though, at least for the area, so not too much problem to me. At state, however, we were required to build a circuit with some very fiddly/unreliable equipment. After I designed the circuit, he was able to fiddle with the wires better better than me, giving me time to run the calculations. Thus I consider him to have contributed to my medal in the end.

antigem
Division: C
State: WA

Post by antigem » December 10th, 2017, 1:25 pm

For the bottle rocket event in middle school,my usual partner couldn't do science Olympiad that year. My partner didn't show up at all to any of the meetings, but we couldn't kick him out because we were short on people. He showed up 5 min late to launch the rocket and I was pigeon. He did help pump the bicycle pump, because I can't with my little stick arms, so that was helpful.
Central Valley High School, WA

2019 events and place at regionals:
Boomilever 4th
Write it Do it 2nd
Mission Possible 2nd
Thermodynamics 2nd

Fanglin
State: CA

Post by Fanglin » December 11th, 2017, 8:03 am

Back in middle school, I had a good friend of mine do bottle rockets with me. I had already done bottle rockets for a year, and had attended nationals with my rocket. Given this, I had pretty high expectations, and our team had a pretty good idea of what worked and what didn't work for this event. Also, I will mention that this partner was one of like 6 teammates in the event, and didn't always compete as my partner. As some of you remember, we were given the task of protecting an egg during the rocket launch and landing. I had my methods, which I knew worked, but we were did some experimenting too. This friend of mine decided it would be a great idea (and it was at first) to mold a plastic foam thing into the shape of an egg by melting the plastic. This made it perfectly fit within the lower part of the nose cone, all snug and secure. The issue is, that this protection device, once melted and molded, it was fairly ridged, and didn't guarantee the survival of the egg. It worked on and off, and we decided it wasn't reliable enough, but this kid decided to continue with it, so we let him do so. I think sometime during January before regionals, he had a launch, were the weight must have shifted in flight. The rocket barreled upward, and nosedived to the ground. Even worse, it was directly into the asphalt path, decimating the rocket. The best part however, was how the egg exploded into the nose cone, making a massive mess, and ultimately deciding the fate of his design, and possibly a few positions at the tournament.
This parter is a great friend of mine, and we still joke about this today.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny » December 11th, 2017, 10:14 am

My first year I had a partner for A&P who showed up to the first meeting, signed up, and then was never seen again. We even talked at the meeting about getting together and studying- then he never responded to my emails. I ended up doing that event by myself but starting late because I was overwhelmed with all of the content that I needed to memorize on my own.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » December 11th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Here are some other old threads in the Scioly.org's Bad Partner Series™, for your browsing pleasure.
Other tangentially related threads: Rest assured, you are not alone. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Almandine
State: MN

Post by Almandine » December 22nd, 2017, 12:45 pm

One of my partners for Food Science didn't study at all, and when my station burst into flames, he just sat in his chair despondently.
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY

sciencepeeps
State: IL

Post by sciencepeeps » December 29th, 2017, 7:03 am

My partner last year for Anatomy just did not grasp the topics. When asked what the most common neurotransmitter in the body was, they responded “Sensory.” SENSORY! And this was right before State, so we had been going over the content for a while. I ended up doing everything on my own.
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1

Otkrlj
State: MO

Post by Otkrlj » January 1st, 2018, 4:41 pm

I have a partner who I kid you not swears to God that he has a football scolarship, a 120,000 camera, and a collage degree in arcatecture (btw he is a 9th grader and no, he does not have any of the above). He says all these wacko things to do for towers and criticized every desighn i made but put no work in building his own and couldnt say what was wrong with mine.
2020 events: codebusters, towers, gravity vehicle, ping pong paracute 8-) 8-)

Pettywap
State: PA

Post by Pettywap » January 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm

In optics, I was doing the optics box and my partner and I did really bad and only hit two mirrors. Afterward, my partner said "At least we didn't get disqualified". The proctors laughed at his comment.
"Who's Fettywap?"

Return to “General Competition”