Which would you choose?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
wyosciencenerd
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which would you choose?

Post by wyosciencenerd » May 25th, 2009, 2:17 pm

So next year my state's Science Olympiad competition is most likely going to fall on the dates that my school's French classes are taking a trip to France. There is small chance that they will leave the day after state, but like I said, it's very small. Here's the scenario and my thought process. Please tell me what you would honestly choose.

I would absolutely love to go to France, but Science Olympiad is also my passion at school and at home. It takes priority over all of my other activites. However, after science, my foreign language classes are my favorites. The way I see it, I have two more years that I can compete in SO and then that's it--I can no longer compete anymore. I also think I have the rest of my life (which will presumably be a long time) to go to France.

I've told my friends in French that I'm most likely going to choose SO over France, and they think I'm crazy. I've told my best friend (who's also in SO, and loves it almost as much as I do) and she's not sure what she would pick. She brought up the point of how sad I'd be if we lose state again. This year, when we got 3rd at state, I ended up crying (I really thought we could win. Plus I wanted to go to nats again so much). She asked me what I would do if we lose state again next year and I gave up a trip to France so we have a better shot at the 1st place title? But also, what if they win state next year and I can't go with them to nats because I didn't go to state? That could be my last chance at going to nats again, and last year's at DC was one of the best experiences of my life.

Please, tell me what you'd honestly choose. I need advice.
"I feel less stressed already. Thanks science!" --Bree, Lonelygirl15

2009 State results
Cell Biology-1st
Picture This-1st
Ecology-4th
Environmental Chemistry-6th

fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Which would you choose?

Post by fmtiger124 » May 25th, 2009, 2:29 pm

SO! :D :lol:

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 25th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Why wouldn't you be able to go to nats? I think since you still have next year you should do France, unless you can't go to nats for some reason if you don't go to states. I'm assuming you're from Wyoming and they don't have regionals there. If you can't, then it would depend on how much of an impact your not being there would make. If there would not be that much effect on the team if you went to France (no offense) you should go to France. If you're one of the key cogs of the team, though, then you should do SO. It also depends on what you think your team's ability is.

I hope this helps.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski » May 25th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Nobody can decide for you...obviously the bulk of responses here are biased toward SO...but it's going to be what you really want.

Personally, nothing would make me miss an SO competition.

binary010101
State: PA

Post by binary010101 » May 25th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Considering the fact that this is a forum specifically dedicated to Science Olympiad...

You should choose for yourself, though.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

wyosciencenerd

Post by wyosciencenerd » May 25th, 2009, 5:12 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Why wouldn't you be able to go to nats?
I wouldn't be able to go to nats because the school's policy is that if a team makes it to a big competition (like nats) but one of the members decided not to go to the competition before that (state), they can't go. The exception is to that rule is if the person was sick, there was a death in the family, etc. This is to try and keep people who didn't help the team from getting a free trip somewhere.
andrewwski wrote:
Personally, nothing would make me miss an SO competition

That's the way I feel about it too. In my heart, I already know that SO won the battle against France, it's just getting people to understand why I would choose science over France that is going to be the problem.

Thanks so much to everyone for responding! Please feel free to keep posting replies; I'll be sure to read them!
"I feel less stressed already. Thanks science!" --Bree, Lonelygirl15

2009 State results
Cell Biology-1st
Picture This-1st
Ecology-4th
Environmental Chemistry-6th

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 » May 25th, 2009, 5:24 pm

why don't you explain to your friends in French that your team could possibly make it to Nationals, and if they do you want to be able to go with them, because nationals could be a once in a life thing, as you only have so many years to do it, and if you were sad about getting third at state, you might as well go back and try to do better, i know how losing feels
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

HappySciencePie
State: NY

Post by HappySciencePie » May 25th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Choose SO :]
Like you said, you enjoy science a bit more than foreign language, and you can always go to France when you get older.

Edit:
Personally, I don't think that many people need to know WHY you wanted to go the States, as long as you made it clear that you wanted to go.
But you could tell them that you have a dedication to the team, and you want them to go to Nats :]
Last edited by HappySciencePie on May 25th, 2009, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3

SOninja

Post by SOninja » May 25th, 2009, 6:58 pm

You should go to SO because your team will need you.
Whatever you decide though, good luck!
2009 States: :D
Crime busters <3 - 1st
*Reach for the Stars* - 1st
Anatomy - 7th

SO forever

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." -Charles Austin Beard

soobsession

Post by soobsession » May 27th, 2009, 2:44 pm

lols...notice your asking for the opinions of ppl who love SO :lol:
so obviously, im going with SO. seriously. sounds like your team is pretty good (being able to go to nats before and all) and like you said, SO is (or at least for my school) an activity you can participate in for 6 years max. going to france is like...you can go next summer if you really want to! im just me, but i wouldnt miss SO if my life depended on it. SO is my life. SO > EVERYTHING as we say on my team...including french...

however, the choice is yours. choose wisely (dundundun)

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Return to “General Competition”