The Union of Safety for SciOly Engineers.

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

The Union of Safety for SciOly Engineers.

Postby TheChiScientist » September 30th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Here we can post about the hazards that we have faced in engineering builds and advise others to avoid the injuries/pain that we have encountered.
1. Don't hot glue your motors! (The heat the motor generates can reach the melting point of hot glue thus it falls apart.)
2. I think this video recaps the hazards of electricity and soldering irons very well... PAIN!
3. Don't be an idiot... :roll:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

PM2017
State: CA

Re: The Union of Safety for SciOly Engineers.

Postby PM2017 » September 30th, 2018, 7:27 pm

4. Don't be building with any sort of semi-dangerous materials at 2 am, with a running average of 2 hours of sleep for that week.You may fall asleep in front of your mission possible device, leaving your hot glue on, then waking up and accidentally sticking your hand in a puddle of molten hot glue. (OOOOUUUUCCCHHH!!!)
5. Don't let someone solder 3d printed parts together at your home at a study party (To be fair, he was doing it outside my home.)
6. Don't touch the hot end of a 3d printer. This is especially true when the hot end is, you know, hot.
7. Mousetraps kill mice. They also hurt fingers.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Name
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Name » September 30th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Solution to everything- don't do builds
South Woods MS/Syosset HS
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils

"The more cheese, the more holes. The more holes the less cheese. Therefore the more cheese, the less cheese."

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » September 30th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Solution to everything- don't do builds
you: don't do builds you won't get hurt

me, an intellectual: *hands bleeding from carefully colouring each letter in my cheatsheet to be just correct so when I view them with old style red-blue 3d glasses I get double space*
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

mdv2o5
State: IN

Postby mdv2o5 » October 4th, 2018, 5:27 pm

8. I know this is a popular thing to do, but I'll say it anyways: don't overcharge your LiPo batteries! It's going to be a bad day if you have to explain to your parents how the house burned down or how you or a team member ended up in the hospital. Burning lithium and chemical fires are no joke. But knowing that people are going to do it regardless, at the very least, do yourself a favor and spend $20 on a LiPo charging bag so that if the battery does explode, it doesn't take your house down with it. Along these lines, know what a bad battery looks like: if the battery looks puffed up or feels hot, immediately disconnect the charger and properly dispose of the battery (do not throw it in the trash without following a discharge procedure). Lastly, LiPo batteries are not the safest thing in the world to work with -- do your research before messing around with them!

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS

Postby Schrodingerscat » October 4th, 2018, 5:32 pm

8. I know this is a popular thing to do, but I'll say it anyways: don't overcharge your LiPo batteries! It's going to be a bad day if you have to explain to your parents how the house burned down or how you or a team member ended up in the hospital. Burning lithium and chemical fires are no joke. But knowing that people are going to do it regardless, at the very least, do yourself a favor and spend $20 on a LiPo charging bag so that if the battery does explode, it doesn't take your house down with it. Along these lines, know what a bad battery looks like: if the battery looks puffed up or feels hot, immediately disconnect the charger and properly dispose of the battery (do not throw it in the trash without following a discharge procedure). Lastly, LiPo batteries are not the safest thing in the world to work with -- do your research before messing around with them!
There now appears to be a national policy against using lithium batteries in devices anyway, but still fair to bring up.

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » October 4th, 2018, 6:28 pm

There now appears to be a national policy against using lithium batteries in devices anyway, but still fair to bring up.
Yea... Big oops when you set a NiMH battery on fire... :oops:
10. Dry ice explodes when accidentally sealed in a container. (Don't need to set off a lockdown eh? :( ) Oh. It also burns your hand.
11. DON'T try to catch a falling soldering iron! :|
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

Things2do
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » October 5th, 2018, 2:21 pm

12. Fingers hurt when a 2 kilo weight falls onto them and crams them onto the containment bars of your Scrambler...
13. Occasionally, cheap mousetraps that shouldn't'a passed QC break apart while set... Luckily, the rest of my thrift store mousetraps were perfectly fine.
14. Rubber bands stretched the length of a Wheeled Vehicle before looping under and going all of the way back to the back break after a few solid week's runs will break and shoot into your face...

I personally sorta disagree with that because it also bans solid-state lithium batteries. If they were common, I would disagree more, but so far...This Nova Documentary, and this Science Friday article are just two mentions of them.
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » October 5th, 2018, 3:25 pm

15. Wear safety glasses when using rotary tools
16. Wear latex gloves when working with SteelStik
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

linzhiyan
State: MO

Postby linzhiyan » October 5th, 2018, 4:24 pm

17. Superglue does NOT come off of your fingers easily... wear gloves
**flashes back to last year**
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

Return to “General Competition”