How do I motivate my team?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
platypusomelette
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do I motivate my team?

Post by platypusomelette » October 20th, 2018, 8:45 am

This is possibly my last year to get past regionals. The problem is my school is so small, and so low achieving, that we don't even have tryouts because there's so little demand for each event. My coach doesn't want to do tryouts either because it takes too much effort, she doesn't want to bring us to invites because it's too much effort and she would need to help grade. We've consistently scored about 10 places away from making states but it annoys me so much that this could be easily fixed if everyone got above at least 20th place in their events. Any suggestions? We already have about 4 people taking 5-6 events each trying to carry the entire team.
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
HELL YEA WE MADE STATES

JoeyC
State: TX

Re: How do I motivate my team?

Post by JoeyC » October 20th, 2018, 9:01 am

Find the easiest regional. Scope out who's going to each place; where are the titan schools in NY going? Then head the other direction. It's worked for me, and it's way easier to medal. (because all the competition is gone).
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Machines, Ornith
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Scientia Potentia Est
Has Gotten Coronavirus: No

Name
State: NY

Post by Name » October 20th, 2018, 9:07 am

JoeyC wrote:Find the easiest regional. Scope out who's going to each place; where are the titan schools in NY going? Then head the other direction. It's worked for me, and it's way easier to medal. (because all the competition is gone).
NY doesn't have open regionals, you have to attend the regionals your closest to
Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2/3
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3/8
1 fermi cornell, 10 orni LISO, 4 green gen regionals

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple » October 23rd, 2018, 4:32 am

Not all invitationals require coaches to grade? Princeton and UPenn are both within a reasonable range of Long Island where it looks like you're from, and neither requires any grading from coaches, i think. (PUSO also has the advantage, if nothing's changed since last year, of having no registration fee.) They're both full at the moment so i don't know if it's worth it for you to get on the waitlist this year, but i guess it is worth thinking about, if you could go to one of these invitationals which won't require so much from her (or if you can get parents to do it instead at another invitational, we've definitely done that before, and we've also gone to invitationals close enough that parents can just carpool the students rather than paying for buses) would you be able to do that?

Other than invites, the main thing I always found gets people to work is practices. You haven't told us what your expectations of hours of work from your team are at the moment, but i've always found if you go to the library as a big group on a weekend for a couple of hours for the purpose of studying or practicing you're more peer pressured into doing it than you would be on your own. Give fair warning, with expectations of numbers of hours of attendance, tell anyone they need a valid excuse in advance if they're not gonna show up and the follow up if they don't show up and find out why. Reward people as well who do meet the expectations, but yeah... having high expectations is one way to get people to live up to those expectations, right?
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi » October 23rd, 2018, 7:12 am

If you want to motivate your team, you need a personal commitment. For example, buy team T-shirts! Even better, have a pizza and practice session. Both have worked for my team.

DragonTownEpic
Division: B
State: CA

Post by DragonTownEpic » October 25th, 2018, 9:24 am

Candy. Mic drop.
I will dab on stage twice if I get an award at a SciOly Competition. If you and I go to a competition, and I get an award, you will probably know who I am.

And, if you see me:
Stand up.
And then dab.
See you there!

JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC » October 25th, 2018, 1:51 pm

That being said you need a reason as Jacobi said to motivate your team. Perhaps not candy for High Schoolers, but free food, socials, and mass practice sessions that you or your team can organize are all great ways to motivate people.
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Machines, Ornith
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Scientia Potentia Est
Has Gotten Coronavirus: No

linzhiyan
State: MO

Post by linzhiyan » October 25th, 2018, 2:49 pm

There's no "perfect" way to motivate a team, but winning should never be used as a motivation. Just, give the students freedom and choice. Don't force someone to do an event. I mean, sure, you can talk with that person and try to persuade them to compete in that event, but let the students decide for themselves. Since this is still new to them, give them a little leeway and let them set their own expectations.
The main thing to get out of this though is to not motivate them with the hope of winning. Winning is not what Science Olympiad is all about. Instead, Science Olympiad is about having fun and working together. Winning is just a consequence of hard work and good teamwork.
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom » October 26th, 2018, 9:34 am

practice sessions and food. thats what my middle school did
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

antigem
State: WA

Post by antigem » October 30th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Yup, practice sessions with food. Once you get to state once and possibly travel, people will be motivated to try and make it again.
Central Valley High School, WA

2019 events and place at regionals:
Boomilever 4th
Write it Do it 2nd
Mission Possible 2nd
Thermodynamics 2nd

Return to “General Competition”