Failed to place

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Dinoswarleafs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Failed to place

Post by Dinoswarleafs » October 27th, 2018, 7:40 pm

I failed to place at UT tonight. It's the only invite my school is given until our regional in March. I felt like I got every question in Chem Lab correct and did really well in Exp. Design. Got nothing out of it and let my school down since I'm usually the only one to place on behalf of our school. It was my last invitational ever and it's the first time I didn't place. I feel like a failure :/

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Failed to place

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 27th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Dinoswarleafs wrote:I failed to place at UT tonight. It's the only invite my school is given until our regional in March. I felt like I got every question in Chem Lab correct and did really well in Exp. Design. Got nothing out of it and let my school down since I'm usually the only one to place on behalf of our school. It was my last invitational ever and it's the first time I didn't place. I feel like a failure :/
It's the first time you didn't place? That's pretty impressive. Don't be too hard on yourself man.

linzhiyan
State: MO

Post by linzhiyan » October 27th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Dinoswarleafs wrote:I failed to place at UT tonight. It's the only invite my school is given until our regional in March. I felt like I got every question in Chem Lab correct and did really well in Exp. Design. Got nothing out of it and let my school down since I'm usually the only one to place on behalf of our school. It was my last invitational ever and it's the first time I didn't place. I feel like a failure :/
Maybe there was a scoring error or something? Something similar also happened with my Fast Facts partner and me last year. We knew we performed pretty well, but we somehow didn't place even though our Junior Varsity team did. Turns out, we would've gotten third but our names were crossed out and replaced for some reason. (I think we were disqualified, but I also don't know the reason for that... and I still don't although I have a pretty decent guess that doesn't really make sense...)
Look over the scoresheet and tests to see if you find anything peculiar.
Don't beat yourself up for it. As you said, you still have regionals in March. Study more, practice hard, and you'll do fine in regionals.
If ya wanna do well, ya gotta believe!
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次

Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs » October 27th, 2018, 7:54 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: It's the first time you didn't place? That's pretty impressive. Don't be too hard on yourself man.
Thanks man. I felt I needed a place to vent.
linzhiyan wrote: Maybe there was a scoring error or something? Something similar also happened with my Fast Facts partner and me last year. We knew we performed pretty well, but we somehow didn't place even though our Junior Varsity team did. Turns out, we would've gotten third but our names were crossed out and replaced for some reason. (I think we were disqualified, but I also don't know the reason for that... and I still don't although I have a pretty decent guess that doesn't really makes sense...)
Look over the scoresheet and tests to see if you find anything peculiar.
Don't beat yourself up for it. As you said, you still have regionals in March. Study more, practice hard, and you'll do fine in regionals.
If ya wanna do well, ya gotta believe!
We left early so we'll probably get them in the mail. I'll check but I'm guessing the test was easy for everyone and the difference between the top competitors was like 1 or 2 questions. Yeah I'm probably being too harsh. Just felt really emotional after tonight and needed a place to be a debby downer : x. I'll make sure to recover

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 » October 27th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Don't get yourself too down. It happens, and you can definitely make a comeback

My favorite example is this.
Two years ago, at regionals, we won with 120 something points. (An average of 5.2) Our President/Founder, who had always carried the team, got two 14th places and a 12th in her events. She was obviously dumbstruck, and on the verge of breaking down. Afterward, however, she took this as an opportunity for redemption and got a second place at state in one of her events, (and I think she also medalled in another.) Although she wasn't the only one to medal that day from our team, it was the first time we had ever gotten medals at state. Basically, she went from her worst ever competition to her best competition.

So the moral of the story is to do what you can and if something goes wrong, to work until you rebound the next comp.

And so, my favorite quote ever, from Vince Lombardi:
"It's not about whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."
Last edited by PM2017 on October 27th, 2018, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 » October 27th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Science Olympiad is not for the medals, it's for the new ideas and experiences gained. As long as you feel like you had a purpose in going, and you've accomplished something, you haven't "failed."
sorry if this is cheesy

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 » October 27th, 2018, 7:59 pm

dxu46 wrote:
Science Olympiad is not for the medals, it's for the new ideas and experiences gained. As long as you feel like you had a purpose in going, and you've accomplished something, you haven't "failed."
sorry if this is cheesy
As someone who has experienced something like this, I found that this type of message is not the most consoling. Perhaps it's just me though...
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

linzhiyan

Post by linzhiyan » October 27th, 2018, 8:06 pm

PM2017 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
sorry if this is cheesy
As someone who has experienced something like this, I found that this type of message is not the most consoling. Perhaps it's just me though...
Lol, before every single speech and debate tournament, my coach will give us that kind of pep talk. "It's not about winning, it's about gaining experience and winning." Although it's cheesy (as stated by Dxu46), it's comforting in a way that you know since you know that you're not pressured by your peers/teammates.
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Post by megrimlockawesom » October 30th, 2018, 9:47 am

invites are purely for the learning experience. Look back over all your tests and see what you got wrong. Then patch the bugs, keep practicing, and you will be fine

Also, your first time not placing? That's pretty impressive! Don't be too hard on yourself man (flashback to centerville rollercoaster)
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute

antigem
State: WA

Post by antigem » October 30th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Something could happen. One year the JV team beat varsity in an event, and we were all surprised cause the JV team didn't to much to prepare. Turns out they switched the varsity and JV teams. :D
Central Valley High School, WA

2019 events and place at regionals:
Boomilever 4th
Write it Do it 2nd
Mission Possible 2nd
Thermodynamics 2nd

Return to “General Competition”