Unosmium Results and the SciolyFF

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Havocgamer49
Division: B
State: NC

Re: Unosmium Results and the SciolyFF

Post by Havocgamer49 » January 27th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Ok, so here are the Asheville Regionals for Division C, can someone look through it and see if I did anything wrong?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Havocgamer49's Userpage
Jay M Robinson Varsity Team 2017-2020
2017-2018 Events: Disease Detectives, Rocks and Minerals
2018-2019 Events: Disease Detectives, Duct Tape Challenge, Fossils
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett » January 27th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Looks great! Quick question: Did you mean "Henderson Early Collage" on the teams?
Menomonie Scioly

2021 Events:
Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Possibly Geocaching.

X.

Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Post by Tailsfan101 » January 27th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Ok, so here are the Asheville Regionals for Division C, can someone look through it and see if I did anything wrong?

A few notes:
-The correct location is "University of North Carolina - Asheville".
-Sort the teams by team number (which, in this case, is alphabetical). Do not separate the JV teams from the varsity teams in numbering. For example, West Henderson High School is teams 18 and 19.
-Henderson County Early College is misspelled (as BennyTheJett said)
-School abbreviations are only needed for schools that exceed the length of Column 3B, and RoboMarth's SciolyFF automatically abbreviates common suffixes, i.e. M.S., H.S.
-You don't have to list the city for teams unless there are multiple teams in the same state with the same name (e.g. St. Mark Catholic School, NC). Also, not all those teams are from the city of Asheville.
-The subdivisions are not necessary, as the JV teams can merely be listed as exhibition.
-For the NC regionals, use the second page of results for JV teams (the combined rankings in which JV scores affect varsity scores). Your varsity rankings are correct.

Thanks for doing this! Every contribution makes a difference.
2016-2020 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
2021 potential events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

#Nats22@BSU

Havocgamer49

Post by Havocgamer49 » January 27th, 2020, 6:20 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 3:43 pm
Looks great! Quick question: Did you mean "Henderson Early Collage" on the teams?
Indeed I did..... :roll:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Havocgamer49 wrote:

A few notes:
-Sort the teams by team number (which, in this case, is alphabetical). Do not separate the JV teams from the varsity teams in numbering. For example, West Henderson High School is teams 18 and 19.
-School abbreviations are only needed for schools that exceed the length of Column 3B, and RoboMarth's SciolyFF automatically abbreviates common suffixes, i.e. M.S., H.S.
-You don't have to list the city for teams unless there are multiple teams in the same state with the same name (e.g. St. Mark Catholic School, NC). Also, not all those teams are from the city of Asheville.
-The subdivisions are not necessary, as the JV teams can merely be listed as exhibition.
-For the NC regionals, use the second page of results for JV teams (the combined rankings in which JV scores affect varsity scores). Your varsity rankings are correct.

I still do not understand how to use a second page of results, should I duplicate the rankings page and have a new one for only JV teams? If you could explain that to me in a bit more detail that would help a lot.

Thanks for the tips, I will be sure to use them.
Havocgamer49's Userpage
2019-2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Fossils, Mission Possible, Reach for the Stars

onoga17
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by onoga17 » January 27th, 2020, 10:16 pm

I am currently working on results for the UC Davis(Aggie) invitational and have run into a potential problem. There were originally 45 teams set to attend the tournament, but 2 didn't show up, thus the numbering system got slightly messed up so that there is still a team 45 for example, but 17 and 34 are missing.

I was wondering if there would be any issue if I inputed "ns" for the no show team scores since these show up correctly as a 44 in the original scoresheet when they would be a 46 if the system assumed a 45 team tournament. I'm using the google spreadsheet so I don't think there's a way I can really check this myself. Thoughts?

Giantpants
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Giantpants » January 28th, 2020, 7:18 am

onoga17 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 10:16 pm
I am currently working on results for the UC Davis(Aggie) invitational and have run into a potential problem. There were originally 45 teams set to attend the tournament, but 2 didn't show up, thus the numbering system got slightly messed up so that there is still a team 45 for example, but 17 and 34 are missing.

I was wondering if there would be any issue if I inputed "ns" for the no show team scores since these show up correctly as a 44 in the original scoresheet when they would be a 46 if the system assumed a 45 team tournament. I'm using the google spreadsheet so I don't think there's a way I can really check this myself. Thoughts?

I believe that as long as there are only 43 teams listed, it should make NS the proper value of 44. It bases the value of NS, PP, etc. on the number of teams listed, not the final team number. Just make sure that you only have 43 teams listed!

Sometimes teams don’t come and their names and presence is still recorded. For example, here, at Cornell 2020, https://unosmium.org/results/2019-11-23 ... tational_c, East Brunswick got a NS in every event, but their team number was still counted, so the value of NS was still 48 even though there were technically only 46 participating teams. If it was like this, it should still be included in the sheet, but if a team is straight up absent and NS’s value is 44, then just make sure you have 43 teams listed, and you’ll be good.
Haverford College '24!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music, Astronomy
Giantpants's Userpage

Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Post by Tailsfan101 » January 28th, 2020, 9:10 am

Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 6:20 pm
BennyTheJett wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Havocgamer49 wrote:

A few notes:

I still do not understand how to use a second page of results, should I duplicate the rankings page and have a new one for only JV teams? If you could explain that to me in a bit more detail that would help a lot.

This is really only applicable to North Carolina tournaments, but if you look at the results from sciencenc.com, you will first see a spreadsheet labeled as "Separate". If you scroll down past that spreadsheet, you should see another results sheet labeled "Combined". This is the one you should use for the JV teams. I hope that makes sense!
2016-2020 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
2021 potential events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

#Nats22@BSU

Havocgamer49

Post by Havocgamer49 » January 29th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:10 am
Havocgamer49 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 6:20 pm
BennyTheJett wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:

A few notes:

This is really only applicable to North Carolina tournaments, but if you look at the results from sciencenc.com, you will first see a spreadsheet labeled as "Separate". If you scroll down past that spreadsheet, you should see another results sheet labeled "Combined". This is the one you should use for the JV teams. I hope that makes sense!
Should I change the rankings of the Varsity teams according to the second spreadsheet.

Ex: John H.S. Varsity got a 9th in Anatomy out of the Varsity teams, but a 12th if we are counting the JV teams, should the value that goes in the spreadsheet be 9 or 12?
Havocgamer49's Userpage

RoboMarth
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by RoboMarth » January 29th, 2020, 4:23 pm

onoga17
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by onoga17 » January 29th, 2020, 10:09 pm

I compiled the results from the UC Davis (Aggie) Invitaional here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Please let me know about any potential issues.

Return to “General Competition”