Keeping Medals

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO

Keeping Medals

Post by jaspattack » June 10th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Title says it all: How do you guys keep and/or display medals? For competitors that compete in 4 events at a high level for multiple years, the amount of medals you have can rack up pretty quickly and I'm curious as to how you guys store them or show them off. I brought home 6 medals this past season, and am running out of creative ways to avoid putting them all in one place, so I'm searching for a storage solution myself. A lot of stuff I've found online relates to military medals or marathon medals, and only a small percentage of that is applicable to SciOly medals, so I thought I would ask people who likely have the same problem I do.
2019-20 Events (C): Designer Genes, Forensics, Fossils
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design @ Regionals)
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

builderguy135
State: NJ

Re: Keeping Medals

Post by builderguy135 » June 10th, 2019, 3:27 pm

jaspattack wrote:Title says it all: How do you guys keep and/or display medals? For competitors that compete in 4 events at a high level for multiple years, the amount of medals you have can rack up pretty quickly and I'm curious as to how you guys store them or show them off. I brought home 6 medals this past season, and am running out of creative ways to avoid putting them all in one place, so I'm searching for a storage solution myself. A lot of stuff I've found online relates to military medals or marathon medals, and only a small percentage of that is applicable to SciOly medals, so I thought I would ask people who likely have the same problem I do.
I store them on a shelf in my bedroom, stacked by competition (regs, states, nats, invy1, invy2, etc.) and line them up with all the ribbon parts of the medal thrown in the back lol
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

CookiePie1

Post by CookiePie1 » June 10th, 2019, 3:33 pm

I leave them on my dresser in no particular order, on top of my old thermo device lol
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

linzhiyan

Post by linzhiyan » June 10th, 2019, 3:37 pm

I have a box where I throw all of my medals and ribbons lol
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » June 10th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Put them all on a shelf

TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist » June 10th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I don't have very many medals from scioly, so I just hang them on my wall. I would say that you should display the medals you're most proud of, and keep the other ones in a box or several in an organized fashion if you still care about them. But honestly, you should utilize your display space how you like it.

ericlepanda
State: IL

Post by ericlepanda » June 10th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I've been tossing invy medals into a drawer for the past few years. My state medals are on a shelf on top of my dresser next to several pins and other goodies from scioly, and my nats medals hang on a nail on the wall. One of my nats medals from two years ago (6th place I think) has developed tarnish marks that look like handprints, so it might be a good idea to clean off residual oils from handling before any long period of storage.
ntso
quack quack

sciolyperson1

Post by sciolyperson1 » June 10th, 2019, 4:16 pm

On a shelf in order, states medals stacked, regs stacked, nats medals stacked, invies stacked by competition, i end up cutting up my ribbons or throwing them out lol
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
sciolyperson1's Userpage
Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT:
Gravity - 1st '20

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP
Vehicle event medalling streak - 0 :(
Rate my tests!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 » June 10th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I don't have that many medals, so keeping them is easy: I take a little plastic baggie and write all my placements on it from the season (not hard considering the amount of competitions we go to), stack all of my medals from a single competition, wrap in with the lanyards on the medals, doing that for each competition, and I throw everything inside the bag. Then, I throw every bag into a drawer.

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome » June 10th, 2019, 5:01 pm

I have them all in a box. That said, I have over a hundred so display would be impractical anyway.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Competition”