Help Adjusting to Div. B

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Help Adjusting to Div. B

Post by Alex-RCHS »

I'm looking for some advice about the differences between Division B and C.

In my career as a competitor, I only competed in Div. B for one year and I didn't take it very seriously. As an event supervisor, I have only written for Division C. However, this year I will probably be writing more for Div. B, and I want to make sure I get the tests right.

So, here's my question: I know some basic things about the differences between B and C (B is simpler, slower paced, easier, etc.), but is there anything besides the obvious I should look out for in order to have the tests and events run well?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Help Adjusting to Div. B

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Alex-RCHS wrote:I'm looking for some advice about the differences between Division B and C.

In my career as a competitor, I only competed in Div. B for one year and I didn't take it very seriously. As an event supervisor, I have only written for Division C. However, this year I will probably be writing more for Div. B, and I want to make sure I get the tests right.

So, here's my question: I know some basic things about the differences between B and C (B is simpler, slower paced, easier, etc.), but is there anything besides the obvious I should look out for in order to have the tests and events run well?
In my events (mainly test events), I didn't see any large differences between division B and C besides difficulty level and depth.
SOcoachB

Post by SOcoachB »

Alex-RCHS wrote:I'm looking for some advice about the differences between Division B and C.

Easier, sure, but please don't underestimate Division B kids. Tests that are too easy do a disservice to them, and they make it hard to distinguish between teams. Even at our state tournament, the students were coming back from events saying that the tests were easy.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

SOcoachB wrote:

Easier, sure, but please don't underestimate Division B kids. Tests that are too easy do a disservice to them, and they make it hard to distinguish between teams. Even at our state tournament, the students were coming back from events saying that the tests were easy.
After competing in Div B for a year, I definitely agree to this. Lots of proctors underestimate the amount of work that many Division B kids put into their events and write a test that is much too beginner for the event. While of course in Division B there are still many kids competing for fun, there are those that are serious about it and want to win, and writing a test that is too easy is definitely disappointing to them after all the hard work they have put in. Hard questions are definitely still appropriate for Div B, but don't forget to throw in some easier ones too. You definitely want a fairly good spread with the highest scores mainly being around 80% and the lowest at maybe 20%. Having to break a lot of ties because everyone missed almost everything or everyone got almost everything right is not ideal, and happens a lot because the proctors underestimate the competitors. What events in specific are you most likely going to supervise?
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
DatSciolyBoi
State: CA

Post by DatSciolyBoi »

For kids like me (div b going to div c) easy tests don't do anything to help me. I WANT hard tests so I can practice and hopefully make it into a national team. They also tell me what to learn in the future or what to put into the binder for next comp. I feel like, if your competition is a inmvitational, you can get away with a semi-hard test, but at state level, you HAVE to up your game. The state level is the culmination of a season's worth of study for most people, so it should be among the hardest tests.
Chaparral Middle School -> Troy High School
Background in: Wright Stuff, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible, Wind Power, Experimental Design, Elastic Launched Glider, Fossils, Mystery Architecture
Builder Cult Satanic Group .CO :twisted:
Co-Sassy of Game 138: Tanks and Turrets
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

Umaroth wrote:
SOcoachB wrote:

After competing in Div B for a year, I definitely agree to this. Lots of proctors underestimate the amount of work that many Division B kids put into their events and write a test that is much too beginner for the event. While of course in Division B there are still many kids competing for fun, there are those that are serious about it and want to win, and writing a test that is too easy is definitely disappointing to them after all the hard work they have put in. Hard questions are definitely still appropriate for Div B, but don't forget to throw in some easier ones too. You definitely want a fairly good spread with the highest scores mainly being around 80% and the lowest at maybe 20%. Having to break a lot of ties because everyone missed almost everything or everyone got almost everything right is not ideal, and happens a lot because the proctors underestimate the competitors. What events in specific are you most likely going to supervise?
YES. Tests that are too easy are somewhat a slap in the face for competitors that put in a lot of time studying only to not place well because the test was too easy and could not properly disguise the top and bottom
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

SOcoachB wrote:

There's a way larger difference in skill between Div B competitors - some go in not knowing the rules, others from top 6 nats teams can easily be compared to other Div C teams in related subjects. If it's regs or a lower skilled invy, write a test meant for a lower skill level, but if an invy has a wide range of teams, write a test meant for the best teams that go.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: There's a way larger difference in skill between Div B competitors - some go in not knowing the rules, others from top 6 nats teams can easily be compared to other Div C teams in related subjects. If it's regs or a lower skilled invy, write a test meant for a lower skill level, but if an invy has a wide range of teams, write a test meant for the best teams that go.
I would say that a test at an invy with a wide range of teams should have questions with a wide range of difficulties. If a test only has difficult questions, the teams at the lower end aren't getting very much out of the experience.

Alex, I might recommend you reach out to people (such as pikachu) that have written tests for both divisions for input. In my experience, writing for Division B is not that much different from writing for Division C, but it just requires being more careful with question wording (you want to make sure questions are readable by most teams, at least). As far as difficulty goes, you can get away with writing it generally the same as a Div C test, as a lot of events integrate difficulty into the rules already. You may need some additional "gimmie" questions to make sure the bottom end is separated out, and where in Division C you might be inclined to add "just one more section", in B I've found that when you reach that point, your test is probably fine already.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

For events like Machines, which involve topics covered in schools, there is somewhat of a gap. For the vast majority of other events (e.g. almost all of Earth Science) there is little to no difference in appropriate difficulty.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PioBoy
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PioBoy »

Unome wrote:For events like Machines, which involve topics covered in schools, there is somewhat of a gap. For the vast majority of other events (e.g. almost all of Earth Science) there is little to no difference in appropriate difficulty.
Yeah. Agree with Unome. I was in DP and Thermo(previous event to Machines) and did machines way back when. For earth science, there is almost no difference in difficulty(except math-you might have to be careful there). Thermo and Machines use a ton of knowledge you would learn in upper level highschool. (AP CHEM - Thermo & AP PHYS C mechanics- Machines). It's a little unfortunate because freshman and sophomores are at a huge disadvantage in machines&thermo while upperclassmen learn a decent amount of both in AP Sciences, which are generally upperclassmen classes.

Return to “General Competition”