Scheduling Conflicts

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
jaspattack
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: MO

Scheduling Conflicts

Post by jaspattack » November 11th, 2019, 10:09 am

Just got the biggest blow dealt to me - our spring play is taking place the same weekend as states. I'm going to have to choose one over the other, and I don't think I'm going to like the outcome either way. I've been looking forward to both events for months now, but I don't know if it's worth it to drop all of my SciOly prep. On one hand, I can still go to the regional competition, even if I can't go to state. But if our team does as well or even better than it did last year, I would hate to miss it... Right now I'm leaning towards choosing the play over SciOly but I'd hate to feel like I'm abandoning my team. How am I supposed to decide, and do you have any advice?
2019-20 Events (C): Designer Genes, Forensics, Fossils
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design @ Regionals)
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

pepperonipi
State: FL

Re: Scheduling Conflicts

Post by pepperonipi » November 11th, 2019, 10:18 am

jaspattack wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 10:09 am
Just got the biggest blow dealt to me - our spring play is taking place the same weekend as states. I'm going to have to choose one over the other, and I don't think I'm going to like the outcome either way. I've been looking forward to both events for months now, but I don't know if it's worth it to drop all of my SciOly prep. On one hand, I can still go to the regional competition, even if I can't go to state. But if our team does as well or even better than it did last year, I would hate to miss it... Right now I'm leaning towards choosing the play over SciOly but I'd hate to feel like I'm abandoning my team. How am I supposed to decide, and do you have any advice?
Do you have a very important role in the play? I might be biased as a SciOly competitor, but states is kind of important...
Thank you to all who helped out with WikiProject Tournaments of States! <3

Boca Raton Community High School
My Wiki Page | School Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WIDI

TheMysteriousMapMan
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheMysteriousMapMan » November 11th, 2019, 10:29 am

If you are doing any build events (which it doesn't actually look like you are), you could do all of the preparation for the event and let a trusted person run it for you (and, if they agree, see if you could get the medal). Given that it looks like you want to do test or lab events, I don't know successful preparing someone else would be.
2020 Events: Astronomy, Experimental Design, Detector Building, Ornithology, Sounds of Music.

Unsuccessful Assassinator of Game 143.

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly » November 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

jaspattack wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 10:09 am
do you guys not have any understudies for school plays that could take on your role for you that day? also whats the time difference between the two events?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by gz839918 » November 11th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Maybe you could try to be an event coach rather than competing yourself. You could guide other members and act as an advisor to your teammates, or somebody who took on extra responsibilities for your team. It might seem less fun, but if you do it, it feels just as exhilarating to medal as it feels to be the reason why your friends medal. Since most school plays occur in the evening, you could head to states in the morning to cheer on your friends and be a source of motivation. In the early afternoon, you could leave and arrive back to your school by evening, and go to or act in the play. No tournament is the same without the awards ceremony (though livestreams come pretty close), but by being at states only part time, you would get the chance to participate in both. You'll have to decide though whether part-SciOly and all-play is more worthwhile than all-SciOly and no-play (or vice versa).

Or you could flip a coin, and if you don't like the outcome of the coin flip (SciOly), you choose the other activity (play). But for such a heavy decision I'd image you wouldn't dread either side of the coin anyways.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23

Blank25
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by Blank25 » November 11th, 2019, 6:05 pm

I would just do I have the most committment in(which for me would be scioly) but for other people on my team it would be my school's musical(which is on the same day as scioly states)
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy

NSCDS3RdCaptain
State: IL

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain » November 12th, 2019, 8:15 pm

I am also biased, but I would consider how many people are able to do your events (and whether you are carrying), if your team would be able to meet the team size limit while competing in all events without you, and the competitiveness of the team (if you have a shot at making nats).
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x

Blank25
State: NY

Post by Blank25 » November 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm

NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 8:15 pm
I am also biased, but I would consider how many people are able to do your events (and whether you are carrying), if your team would be able to meet the team size limit while competing in all events without you, and the competitiveness of the team (if you have a shot at making nats).
Same, but I would also consider your role in the team for example if you were captain of the team versus a member with no leadership role.
2020 Events: Astronomy, Ornithology, Water Quality, Protein Modeling
2019 Events: Fermi, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible
2018 Events: Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Towers, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Parasitology
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Hovercraft, Towers, Astronomy

jaspattack
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: MO

Post by jaspattack » November 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Sadly, it's not really reasonable to do both since I don't have a car and states is three hours away :-/ I would need someone to transport me very early in the morning on Saturday (after doing a show on Friday) and then leave at around 1:30-2:00 to get back before 5, and then be in the show on Saturday evening. I'm not carrying our team in any sense of the word, and I think that we'll be able to hold our own just fine if I'm not there. While we did place top 5 last year, I don't really see nationals in our future (at least this year). I think coaching events is where I'm going to find myself this year, and that's okay. I'm not currently a captain (though I have been in the past) and I think helping other students (especially B division with Heredity and Crimebusters) will be a lot of fun! Plus - there's always next year.
2019-20 Events (C): Designer Genes, Forensics, Fossils
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design @ Regionals)
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

HuskyLove
State: CA

Post by HuskyLove » November 22nd, 2019, 2:25 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about that! I'm glad that you've made the decision to keep supporting your team, I'm sure that means a lot to them.

On another note... YOUR EVENTS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AS MY MAIN ONES.
Dana MS '17 --- Arcadia HS '21

Events I've Taken:
B: Bio-Process Lab, Fossils, R&M, Food Science, Optics, Invasive Species
C: Forensics, Towers, R&M, Fossils, Write It Do It, Designer Genes, Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Boomilever
(bolded = current)

Return to “General Competition”