Negative Mindset (Stress, Pressure)

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
eagerlearner102
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Negative Mindset (Stress, Pressure)

Post by eagerlearner102 » January 4th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I don’t know if you guys experienced this before, but I noticed recently that I somehow have a negative mindset towards Science Olympiad. In sophomore year, I was pretty chill about Science Olympiad and didn’t put pressure on myself. I didn't care about winning medals. However, it is junior year and I am the vice captain of the team so I feel I am supposed to win medals or else my team members would judge me and look down on me. I don’t like the way I am thinking because it was my curiosity in the sciences that made me join Science Olympiad, not for the medals. I think I am putting pressure because I think I shouldn't lose if I did decent last year.
How do I not push pressure on myself? How do guys have a positive mindset despite the stress of competition?
2020 events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Designer Genes
2019 events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Fermi Questions
I failed 2020. Hope I will do better in 2021.

CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Re: Negative Mindset (Stress, Pressure)

Post by CPScienceDude » January 5th, 2020, 9:00 am

eagerlearner102 wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 9:35 pm
I don’t know if you guys experienced this before, but I noticed recently that I somehow have a negative mindset towards Science Olympiad. In sophomore year, I was pretty chill about Science Olympiad and didn’t put pressure on myself. I didn't care about winning medals. However, it is junior year and I am the vice captain of the team so I feel I am supposed to win medals or else my team members would judge me and look down on me. I don’t like the way I am thinking because it was my curiosity in the sciences that made me join Science Olympiad, not for the medals. I think I am putting pressure because I think I shouldn't lose if I did decent last year.
How do I not push pressure on myself? How do guys have a positive mindset despite the stress of competition?
In the beginning, I joined for the sciences aspect of it. But after a while I got competitive. For me now, it's a combination of wanting to do well and win medals but still have fun competing studying the material. I honestly think it's a positive thing to push yourself a little bit, but that's just me.
Captain of CPSO
2020 events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics

Northridge/Regs/State
4n6: 10/1/x
GV: 1/2/x
Mach: 4/1/x
Orni: 4/2/x

Assassination 139: Summer Vacation
About Me!

pepperonipi
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: FL

Post by pepperonipi » January 5th, 2020, 9:18 am

CPScienceDude wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:00 am
eagerlearner102 wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 9:35 pm
In the beginning, I joined for the sciences aspect of it. But after a while I got competitive. For me now, it's a combination of wanting to do well and win medals but still have fun competing studying the material. I honestly think it's a positive thing to push yourself a little bit, but that's just me.
Yeah, I'd say around the same. Pressure and stress are just going to be the part of the game in Science Olympiad. You will need to find ways around it. Those ways around it are different for everyone.

But, maybe literally just try thinking differently about the competition in general? How about instead of thinking, "If I do poorly, my team is going to look down on me" and think "If I do well, my team will look up to me." That may help. And how about instead of thinking, "This pressure is ruining me and making me develop a negative mindset," think "This pressure can help me grow - I should work with it and find efficient ways to counter it!"
who made rainbows so pretty? 🥺🌈🌈🥺

Boca Raton Community High School
My Wiki Page | School Wiki Page | WikiProject Tournaments of States | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2019 Trials: WTF (MIT), Detector (Nationals)
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2020 Trials: Data Sci (Princeton)

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by gz839918 » January 5th, 2020, 10:57 am

Adding on to the others, I'd emphasize the importance of mutual trust. Everybody makes mistakes, and your teammates know that. If you trust them and they trust you, you won't worry that they'll judge you. You could hold team-building activities and icebreakers, and you should interact as often as possible with your fellow team members outside of SciOly, to create friendships with and between team members. As vice captain, you could act as the spark that drives your team forward. When SciOly is about trust and camaraderie more so than winning, it's much easier to enjoy the science (and the medals too).

Anything hard will be stressful. But you're not alone, so stay strong and remember that everybody will grow.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests
Physics and biology events

UNC-Chapel Hill ’23

eagerlearner102
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by eagerlearner102 » January 5th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Thank you so much for the support on this forum!
I think talking to the club advisor might help.
I guess pressure and stress can be a positive thing. Just the right balance is needed.
2020 events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Designer Genes
2019 events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Fermi Questions
I failed 2020. Hope I will do better in 2021.

Return to “General Competition”