2020-2021 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
User avatar
SilverBreeze
Member
Member
Posts: 217
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: Pretend hugging Umaroth because social distancing
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by SilverBreeze » March 8th, 2020, 6:00 pm

CPScienceDude wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 5:33 pm
lars wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 4:47 pm
Anyone else forever hoping for the end of forensics? It seems like the only study/ lab event that never changes. Really awards a team that can dust off an old binder from a filling cabinet every year.
oml no. Forensics>>>>>>all other events
It's definitely possible to "break into" the CB/Forensics events(if my Crime Busters experience is worth anything), in part because the major challenge is time crunch that awards practice and team work. This gives advantage to people experienced in the event, but teams still need to train new members when older ones graduate. Questions can be extremely varied(read: random), and analysis can't really be put into a cheatsheet. Forensics is an event that really rewards application, as you can't get fast at ID or good at analysis from reading from a dusty binder. Yes, knowledge questions can be, but rules don't really specify what is allowed in knowledge questions, so almost everything related to the labs are fair game. If an event such as Ecology stayed in place without rotation or topic changes, then yes, I definitely foresee issues, but Forensics requires hands-on learning and practice to maintain a team's speed. My ID gets rustier when I don't practice, and I'll likely need to practice for tryouts next year to get it back.
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

User avatar
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 327
Joined: December 12th, 2018, 2:40 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Crown Point High School
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by CPScienceDude » March 8th, 2020, 6:10 pm

vehicleguy wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 5:51 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Anyone know what might be changing for gravity vehicle? My state's competition is canceled and now I have nothing to do :cry:
It'll definitely turn, and hopefully there will be some sort of bonus (scores are way too tight this year). Possibly a can bonus or a ramp height bonus or sm like that.
Sorry that NY states was cancelled. PA will prolly fall victim soon also.
How would turning work? The ramp would have to curve or something weird. Perhaps a target time instead of fastest?
Captain of CPSO

Member of the Builder Cult

Assassinator 139 and 147
2020 (and probably 2021) events: Ornithology, Machines, Gravity Vehicle, and Forensics
About Me!
RIP Indiana Flag GIF :(

User avatar
vehicleguy
Member
Member
Posts: 141
Joined: April 7th, 2017, 4:13 pm
Division: C
Location: Abington Heights High School
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by vehicleguy » March 9th, 2020, 6:20 am

CPScienceDude wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 6:10 pm
vehicleguy wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 5:51 pm
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Anyone know what might be changing for gravity vehicle? My state's competition is canceled and now I have nothing to do :cry:
It'll definitely turn, and hopefully there will be some sort of bonus (scores are way too tight this year). Possibly a can bonus or a ramp height bonus or sm like that.
Sorry that NY states was cancelled. PA will prolly fall victim soon also.
How would turning work? The ramp would have to curve or something weird. Perhaps a target time instead of fastest?
You would just have to angle your car and then angle your ramp to account for it. I do like the idea of a time bonus though
2020- Gravity Vehicle-Ornithology-PPP-Wright Stuff
2019- Battery Buggy-ELG-Exp D-Herp-Potions-Roller Coaster
Feel free to PM me about any of my events.
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy

JonB
Coach
Coach
Posts: 309
Joined: March 11th, 2014, 12:00 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by JonB » March 9th, 2020, 8:16 am

vehicleguy wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 6:20 am
CPScienceDude wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 6:10 pm
vehicleguy wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 5:51 pm


It'll definitely turn, and hopefully there will be some sort of bonus (scores are way too tight this year). Possibly a can bonus or a ramp height bonus or sm like that.
Sorry that NY states was cancelled. PA will prolly fall victim soon also.
How would turning work? The ramp would have to curve or something weird. Perhaps a target time instead of fastest?
You would just have to angle your car and then angle your ramp to account for it. I do like the idea of a time bonus though
A "turn" was not the bonus when gravity vehicle was an event in the past (during its second year as an event). It was based on the height of the ramp. The LOWER on the ramp you started your car, the greater the bonus (if I remember correctly- its been a while). But, part of the score was still based on time. That was a fun bonus. Not sure which direction they will take it next year.

maxbajcz
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by maxbajcz » March 10th, 2020, 11:08 am

MadCow2357 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Rip no air trajectory
Very disappointing. Slauson totally dominated in that event at States in 2016. 4cm near target, hit the pin on the far target and made the bucket shot. We were really hoping to see this event return.

neuro
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 11:39 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by neuro » March 10th, 2020, 7:38 pm

Anyone know the topics for the events yet? Also, what types of topics does enviro chem cover. I haven't been able to find good resources.
Troy SciOly 18' - 20'

User avatar
jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 79
Joined: April 30th, 2018, 8:29 am
Division: C
State: MO
Location: within cyberspace
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 50 times
Contact:

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by jaspattack » March 11th, 2020, 10:25 am

SilverBreeze wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 6:00 pm
CPScienceDude wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 5:33 pm
lars wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 4:47 pm
Anyone else forever hoping for the end of forensics? It seems like the only study/ lab event that never changes. Really awards a team that can dust off an old binder from a filling cabinet every year.
oml no. Forensics>>>>>>all other events
It's definitely possible to "break into" the CB/Forensics events(if my Crime Busters experience is worth anything), in part because the major challenge is time crunch that awards practice and team work. This gives advantage to people experienced in the event, but teams still need to train new members when older ones graduate. Questions can be extremely varied(read: random), and analysis can't really be put into a cheatsheet. Forensics is an event that really rewards application, as you can't get fast at ID or good at analysis from reading from a dusty binder. Yes, knowledge questions can be, but rules don't really specify what is allowed in knowledge questions, so almost everything related to the labs are fair game. If an event such as Ecology stayed in place without rotation or topic changes, then yes, I definitely foresee issues, but Forensics requires hands-on learning and practice to maintain a team's speed. My ID gets rustier when I don't practice, and I'll likely need to practice for tryouts next year to get it back.
People experienced in the event only have an advantage because they have practice, and typically use the same partner. As someone who is doing Forensics for the first time this year, having access to past notes didn't help me as much as actually getting in the lab and practicing. It's startling just how long these tests take to complete, and you'll be at a severe time disadvantage if you think you can do well simply because you have good notes.
2019-20 Events (C): Designer Genes, Forensics, Fossils
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Fossils, Write It Do It (Mousetrap Vehicle and Experimental Design @ Regionals)
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

jgrischow1
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 20th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by jgrischow1 » March 11th, 2020, 11:25 am

If/when nats are cancelled, what about keeping the same events/rules next year and delaying all rotations?

User avatar
SilverBreeze
Member
Member
Posts: 217
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: Pretend hugging Umaroth because social distancing
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by SilverBreeze » March 11th, 2020, 1:19 pm

jgrischow1 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:25 am
If/when nats are cancelled, what about keeping the same events/rules next year and delaying all rotations?
Personally, though, I hope not... I want to do Ecology again before I graduate...
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

User avatar
EwwPhysics
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: February 22nd, 2020, 12:38 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: Seattle!
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by EwwPhysics » March 11th, 2020, 1:27 pm

jgrischow1 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:25 am
If/when nats are cancelled, what about keeping the same events/rules next year and delaying all rotations?
That would be meh because people would have an even more distinct advantage over freshmen/people new to the event. However, I NEED DESIGNER GENES...
Bala Cynwyd Middle School Class of '20 --> Lower Merion High School Class of '24

2021 events:
Designer Genes
Fossils
[Protein and/or Disease]
Possibly Botany (trial)
Heredity  (we <3 genetics!)
Fossils :D
WIDI (no comment)
Circuit :/

Post Reply

Return to “General Competition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests