2020-2021 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
pepperonipi
Division: C
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by pepperonipi »

syo_astro wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:54 pm
knightmoves wrote: February 10th, 2020, 12:35 pm In terms of "how to think about science" it would be nice to see an event based around doing a statistical analysis (and getting it right) but it's hard to imagine how that could be gradeable.
*cough* Data Science! *cough*
...not that I've ran it, but it's actually been ran as a trial! I am a fan that has mused the idea myself, but never got to figuring it all out...I imagine it has to slot into inquiry as well as involve stats;).
I agree, I think that Data Science could serve as a good event for this. Doesn't disease already cover a good bit of stats though? I haven't done the event myself, but I'm pretty sure I remember something along the lines of this.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
LIPX3
Has thanked: 0

Post by LIPX3 »

pepperonipi wrote: February 10th, 2020, 8:15 pm
syo_astro wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:54 pm
knightmoves wrote: February 10th, 2020, 12:35 pm In terms of "how to think about science" it would be nice to see an event based around doing a statistical analysis (and getting it right) but it's hard to imagine how that could be gradeable.
*cough* Data Science! *cough*
...not that I've ran it, but it's actually been ran as a trial! I am a fan that has mused the idea myself, but never got to figuring it all out...I imagine it has to slot into inquiry as well as involve stats;).
I agree, I think that Data Science could serve as a good event for this. Doesn't disease already cover a good bit of stats though? I haven't done the event myself, but I'm pretty sure I remember something along the lines of this.
Not really - Disease does cover some basic statistics, but not much more than a chi square test. Most of Disease (on a good chunk of tests , 95% or more) is do you know these 25 terms, do you know the different types of studies, do you know what type of agents cause specific diseases.
zandaddy
State: WI
Been thanked: 0

Post by zandaddy »

Is there any chance Game On won't use Scratch for Division C? There's a serious lack of actual computer science events; the code for Detector hardly counts. Scratch poses massive limitations. Division C should be capable of using an actual typed language.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf /
boomifailure
State: MI

Post by boomifailure »

zandaddy wrote: February 18th, 2020, 9:56 am Is there any chance Game On won't use Scratch for Division C? There's a serious lack of actual computer science events; the code for Detector hardly counts. Scratch poses massive limitations. Division C should be capable of using an actual typed language.
scratch cat or riot.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

There are many softwares out there which allow users to make a simple game within 50 minutes (e.g. Unity). It would be quite interesting to see this implemented in Game On
zandaddy
State: WI

Post by zandaddy »

JoeyC wrote: February 18th, 2020, 10:36 am There are many softwares out there which allow users to make a simple game within 50 minutes (e.g. Unity). It would be quite interesting to see this implemented in Game On
I agree. Unity would be an interesting choice, but I think it would be extremely difficult to design a working game that meets all the requirements in fifty minutes in that engine. Any mainstream engine like Unity or Unreal isn't really designed for games made extremely quick; that's probably part of the reason Scratch is appealing as it is to the national directors.

A better alternative might be something like PICO-8. It is a 128x128 fantasy console with games written in Lua. It has a sprite editor, sound designer, and music pattern editor. I could definitely imagine teams being able to create games in fifty minutes using this platform. It is relatively powerful and rather simple to pick up, but still not as simple as Scratch. But again, Division C should have the capability to go beyond the limitations Scratch poses and create interesting games.

Another idea would be somehow to actually impound a game created prior to a competition. A competition could release a game theme some set time before competition day. Teams would be responsible for creating a game that meets that criteria in some engine (hopefully not Scratch). To prevent the possibility of teams stealing content or getting help from others, they would be responsible for creating some log that tracks their progress on the development of the game.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf /
CathycatScioly
Division: B
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by CathycatScioly »

I'm sorry, but is anyone else sad that Density lab just got booted away???? smh
2021- Crime Busters :/, Density Lab :/, Disease Detectives :/, Food Science :/
Creationist127
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

CathycatScioly wrote: February 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm I'm sorry, but is anyone else sad that Density lab just got booted away???? smh
It's been in for two years, hasn't it?
In case you are unaware, events typically are 'in' for two or three years, and then they replace it with something else.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?

Post by 112358132134 »

I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

112358132134 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:14 am I think a programming event could be run similar to code busters, but instead of breaking a cipher you have to write programs to solve problems similar to USACO. The programs would, of course, have to be simple enough that they can all be completed in 50 minutes, and teams could be scored based on how many test inputs the programs past, and there could even be a timed program that gives teams points based on how quickly they solve it such as the timed problem in code busters.
Agreed. A timed problem would be interesting and you could even format the test similar to code busters (17-20 questions, varying amount of points)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Return to “General Competition”