2020-2021 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 2020-2021 Events

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I dunno. If committees can't work together because of personal differences, then NSO has much larger issues than just accidental event overlaps. That's where I will leave it.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

nicholasmaurer wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm
Given that each committee is focused on separate topic areas, there is a structural barrier to "accidental overlaps". If the Chemistry Committee focuses on chemistry events, the Physics Committee on physics events, etc. then there should always be an appropriate diversity of events and topics.
This. Note that I didn't say there isn't ANY coordination. Just very little, mainly because of the topic area focus. The Committee Chairs all have great relationships with each other and if need be I could easily have a chat at any time with any of the other chairs. In addition, the National Board does formally approve all the events as a slate in it's entirety, so they do have at least a high-level overview of all the topics.

There most definitely have been situations where we discuss between the chairs whether something is an overlap or whether a particular event is appropriate in a particular committee. A good example of such a discussion I've personally had is whether there are issues with Thermodynamics the event overlapping with Chem Lab with a Thermo topic. To emphasize, as my perspective of the Physics Chair, any overlap between WiFi Lab and Detector Building is so minimal as to not warrant any need to coordinate the timing of those events. I'm sure the Tech Chair has the same opinion.

There are a lot of factors that go into setting the event slate, and we typically do it at least 2 years in advance. The Physics Committee events are pretty much set right now through the 23-24 season, although can always be subject to change as situations change / warrant. While we like to have a defined, expected rotation, we also want to bring in new topics and events at regular intervals, which means unfortunately that some participants won't get to see certain events they were hoping for.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
vehicleguy
Division: C

Post by vehicleguy »

So are they not considered helicopters or elastic launched glider for c? I'm down for another year of wright stuff, but does anyone know what their reasoning would be?
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

vehicleguy wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:37 am So are they not considered helicopters or elastic launched glider for c? I'm down for another year of wright stuff, but does anyone know what their reasoning would be?
Wright Stuff is simply better :D
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 9:27 pm I dunno. If committees can't work together because of personal differences, then NSO has much larger issues than just accidental event overlaps. That's where I will leave it.
I don't have the impression that the committees are incapable of working together due to "personal differences" and I don't think that was Unome's point. He said coordination beyond what already occurs would be complicated. I don't think that complication is due to personal animosity.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

there does seem to be at least some evidence of communication
dyplan skipped the freshwater topic, probably because waqua was coming back into rotation
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:58 am
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 9:27 pm I dunno. If committees can't work together because of personal differences, then NSO has much larger issues than just accidental event overlaps. That's where I will leave it.
I don't have the impression that the committees are incapable of working together due to "personal differences" and I don't think that was Unome's point. He said coordination beyond what already occurs would be complicated. I don't think that complication is due to personal animosity.
Yeah, as far as I'm aware there's no personal animosity - I was referring to the differing designs of event rotations and topic divisions.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Unome wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 5:39 pm
nicholasmaurer wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:58 am
Yeah, as far as I'm aware there's no personal animosity - I was referring to the differing designs of event rotations and topic divisions.
If that is something that makes working together difficult, I will choose to define it as a personal difference.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

vehicleguy wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:37 am So are they not considered helicopters or elastic launched glider for c? I'm down for another year of wright stuff, but does anyone know what their reasoning would be?
I'm betting that the SOSI schedule just has a typo and that E-Wright Stuff will unfortunately come to div c :(

Wish elg would come back though :\
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

builderguy135 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:49 pm
I'm betting that the SOSI schedule just has a typo and that E-Wright Stuff will unfortunately come to div c :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How about ELG div B and normal WS div C :o
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22

Return to “General Competition”