2020 Science Olympiad Midseason Poll #1

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
MacintoshJosh
Division: C
State: VA

Re: 2020 Science Olympiad Midseason Poll #1

Post by MacintoshJosh » January 31st, 2020, 8:37 pm

Syosset is strong this year, I seriously believe they can make Nats and do well.
Lake Braddock Secondary School
Anatomy - Code - Detector - Protein

Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants » February 1st, 2020, 3:30 am

gz839918 wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 5:26 pm
lumosityfan wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 5:12 pm
Also receiving votes: NCSSM (19), Clark (19), Mentor (15), CCA (15), Palo Alto (13), Troy (MI) (11), Naperville North (11), Syosset (10), Carmel (8), Camas (8), Grand Haven (5), Saline (4), Madison West (4), SSA (3), Chattahoochee (3), Monta Vista (3), Stuyvesant (2), Fayetteville-Manlius (1)
I didn't vote, but I'm surprised to see that presumably only one person out of nine include Fayetteville-Manlius, and even then it wasn't very well-received. Only 1 point total? It looks like a year outside the limelight can really significantly alter how people perceive teams (although admittedly Fayetteville-Manlius was a lot weaker last season than before)
This was me; maybe it’s because I’m from New York and I’ve been on the receiving end of their low state scores, so I guess I just can’t forget about it as easily haha. Even though Stuyvesant and Syosset are certainly looking quite strong, I think it would take a LOT to dislodge FM from top 3 at states.

I foolishly forgot TJHSST in mine, sorry. Anyway uh yeah I’m a little surprised at how low Centerville is. There seems to be a big gap between 5 and 6, maybe this is an early top 5? I’m def excited to see Stevenson vs WWPN at UPenn (and more FM results yay)

Dang I wonder who was the one team who got ranked above Troy in the one ballot. Lumo, do you think you could post the spreadsheet with everyone’s votes? It would be cool to see individual choices! (Unless anyone has a problem with this)

EDIT: I saw it was Acton-Boxborough, oops lol. The spreadsheet would still be cool tho!
Last edited by Giantpants on February 1st, 2020, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music, Astronomy
Giantpants's Userpage

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » February 1st, 2020, 5:03 am

pb5754[] wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 8:29 pm
surprised to see centerville, cumberland valley, mounds view, clark, naperville so low
surprised to see rutsin, troy (mi), and grand haven so high
surprised to see saline show up at all
Honestly, I think Cumberland Valley is ranked fairly. Rustin is one I may not have ranked just yet, as I generally think polls like this should weigh performance so far this season more than predicted eventual performance. But aside from a few minor differences here and there I think the C poll is quite representative.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

pb5754
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 » February 1st, 2020, 5:18 am

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 5:03 am
pb5754[] wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 8:29 pm
surprised to see centerville, cumberland valley, mounds view, clark, naperville so low
surprised to see rutsin, troy (mi), and grand haven so high
surprised to see saline show up at all
Honestly, I think Cumberland Valley is ranked fairly. Rustin is one I may not have ranked just yet, as I generally think polls like this should weigh performance so far this season more than predicted eventual performance. But aside from a few minor differences here and there I think the C poll is quite representative.
Yeah I meant that I expected Cumberland Valley to be above Rustin rather than that Cumberland Valley should be significantly higher than 24th.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21

builderguy135
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 » February 1st, 2020, 8:32 am

Giantpants wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 3:30 am
I’m def excited to see Stevenson vs WWPN at UPenn (and more FM results yay)
We're missing 7-8 of our best members for soup because they're going to scibowl. I heard south had even more members missing as well.
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Sounds MIT and Princeton Champion
2020 (and probably 2021 :( ) Events: PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/PaRaSiToLoGy

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan » February 1st, 2020, 9:22 am

Giantpants wrote:
gz839918 wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
January 31st, 2020, 5:12 pm
Also receiving votes: NCSSM (19), Clark (19), Mentor (15), CCA (15), Palo Alto (13), Troy (MI) (11), Naperville North (11), Syosset (10), Carmel (8), Camas (8), Grand Haven (5), Saline (4), Madison West (4), SSA (3), Chattahoochee (3), Monta Vista (3), Stuyvesant (2), Fayetteville-Manlius (1)
I didn't vote, but I'm surprised to see that presumably only one person out of nine include Fayetteville-Manlius, and even then it wasn't very well-received. Only 1 point total? It looks like a year outside the limelight can really significantly alter how people perceive teams (although admittedly Fayetteville-Manlius was a lot weaker last season than before)
This was me; maybe it’s because I’m from New York and I’ve been on the receiving end of their low state scores, so I guess I just can’t forget about it as easily haha. Even though Stuyvesant and Syosset are certainly looking quite strong, I think it would take a LOT to dislodge FM from top 3 at states.

I foolishly forgot TJHSST in mine, sorry. Anyway uh yeah I’m a little surprised at how low Centerville is. There seems to be a big gap between 5 and 6, maybe this is an early top 5? I’m def excited to see Stevenson vs WWPN at UPenn (and more FM results yay)

Dang I wonder who was the one team who got ranked above Troy in the one ballot. Lumo, do you think you could post the spreadsheet with everyone’s votes? It would be cool to see individual choices! (Unless anyone has a problem with this)

EDIT: I saw it was Acton-Boxborough, oops lol. The spreadsheet would still be cool tho!
I can post the spreadsheet without usernames.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

jaggie34
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Post by jaggie34 » February 1st, 2020, 12:34 pm

lumosityfan wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 9:22 am
Giantpants wrote:
gz839918 wrote:

I can post the spreadsheet without usernames.
I'd be interested to see it
Boca Raton Community High School
Events: Circuit Lab, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Codebusters
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion (until they come back :D )
I like circuits :idea:
Click here to meet my hero!

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan » February 3rd, 2020, 9:12 am

John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

Return to “General Competition”