Performance Prediction

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
sciencenerd123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Performance Prediction

Post by sciencenerd123 » February 15th, 2020, 8:35 am

Is there any way to predict how well or how bad you will perform in a study event?

pb5754
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Performance Prediction

Post by pb5754 » February 15th, 2020, 8:52 am

Take practice tests. If you are doing reasonably well even on pretty hard tests, you're probably in good shape. You should also keep in mind the relative strengths of other teams: it is much easier to do well at a small invitational or regional than at a large invitational, states, or nationals.

From my personal experience, I've also found that you'll probably do worse at an actual competition than when you practice at home, so this is also probably something that you should keep in mind.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Performance Prediction

Post by gz839918 » February 15th, 2020, 8:53 am

You could take practice tests, attend invitationals in your area, or estimate your knowledge by chatting with experts in the subject (e.g. teachers at your school, scientists who work in your city, people on scioly.org), or by reading articles written by scientists to see how much you understand. This way, you'll more-or-less have a sense of your understanding of the subject. However, it's always hard to predict your performance relative to other teams. Depending on what competition you go to (invitational/regionals/states) your performance may be different, because different tournaments have different teams and different difficulties. Doing a lot of studying is usually the best way to improve your event placement.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests
Physics and biology events

UNC-Chapel Hill ’23

Return to “General Competition”