While I completely agree that it is a shame students wont be able to compete, it really isnt feasible to "postpone" a tournament. Rooms, auditoriums, and awards venues require reservation months or even a year in advance. Volunteers and Supervisors need to know dates months in advance to ensure they are available. Hosting a tournament on a university campus requires a lot of foresight and having an "unknown" date simply isnt feasible.ATXScioly wrote: ↑March 12th, 2020, 3:11 pmor other options like postponing Nats to June
Reposting again for visibility:
While I completely agree that we need to keep health and safety over anything. We need to look at all the hard work and time students, coaches, mentors and volunteers has spent this year.
Think about 11'th graders who have been working hard all these years and has solely focussed on Scioly, they are at a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to their college application in fall this year.
Also, we need to consider about the students who are competing for the last time this year, their chance of winning a national medal has been taken away from them, FOR EVER.
All I am proposing is to think positive and be open to other options - for ex: wait until early April to make the decision of cancelling OR postponing regional, state tournaments to later April OR even postpone Nats to June, which gives time. Hopefully, with all the preventive actions everyone is taking, COVID-19 would not be a concern in May. If it continues to be, then we go to the final step of cancelling the tournament
Imo, there really isnt an alternative to canceling the tournament.