Covid-19 and Nats/States

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Covid-19 and Nats/States

Post by JoeyC »

NY and SoCal have cancelled state tournaments due to Covid-19.
These may be just the first couple of states to start cancelling
On top of this, many schools have been rendered unable to go to States due to district policy or like decree on Covid-19.

Obviously, this is going to shake things up quite a bit, which leads to the points of this thread:
1.) Updates on news centering around Covid-19 and state/national tournament; cancellations, distribution of bids, inability of major schools to attend, etc.
2.) Discussion about the effects of these cancellations and events - what will happen to nats with state cancellations (assuming nats isn't cancelled), what will happen with major schools removed from the competition, what happens to the bids from cancelled states, etc.

EDIT: Here is a spreadsheet compiled by sciolyperson1 detailing cancellations to Covid-19 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by JoeyC on March 8th, 2020, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author JoeyC for the post (total 2):
MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 10th, 2020, 7:23 pm) • IOnlyShoot3s (March 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Covid-19 and Nats/States

Post by bernard »

Sharing links for those who may be finding out about the NY and S-CA cancellations from here: S-CA (posted 2020/03/06) and NY (posted 2020/03/08).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
neuro
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by neuro »

Just wondering, has anything like this happened before? If so how was the situation handled
Troy SciOly 18' - 20'
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

neuro wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:14 pm Just wondering, has anything like this happened before? If so how was the situation handled
I've never heard of a situation like this. I expect one would have to go back at least 15 years to find something similar. Perhaps people who've been around longer than I have can comment further on this.
These users thanked the author Unome for the post (total 2):
MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 10th, 2020, 7:23 pm) • PM2017 (March 11th, 2020, 7:35 pm)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

I will update this spreadsheet accordingly:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Also, timeline so far of all Covid-19 announcements that I can find (for better tracking of an ongoing situation):

Wiki page - please contribute any missing information (remember to link to the source)

I suspect many state and tournament pages may find it useful to link to that page in explanations.
sciolyperson1 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:32 pm I will update this spreadsheet accordingly:
Thanks for this. I'd recommend having a couple other trusted people with edit access as well, depending on how large this gets.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Unome wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:49 pm Also, timeline so far of all Covid-19 announcements that I can find (for better tracking of an ongoing situation):

Wiki page - please contribute any missing information (remember to link to the source)

I suspect many state and tournament pages may find it useful to link to that page in explanations.
sciolyperson1 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:32 pm I will update this spreadsheet accordingly:
Thanks for this. I'd recommend having a couple other trusted people with edit access as well, depending on how large this gets.
I'll share it with a bunch of people if the situation becomes worse. Hopefully not though.

I've added a second sheet in the link sent above, pertaining to the status of each state competition (C).
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
nmurali2002

Post by nmurali2002 »

Thank you for keeping track of the latest developments. As a senior, I'm obviously extremely disappointed - it looks like every competitive extracurricular I am in (FIRST, SciOly, and possibly Quizbowl) are beginning to cancel events due to something completely out of anyone's control. But I fully understand these decisions, and preventing a repeat of Italy or Iran in the US takes priority over anything else. I do not envy those who have to make these decisions.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

This is overwhelming :lol:
Basically (for my team), we either make it to nats, we don’t because the northeast regional is rescheduled, we don’t because nats is canceled, or we don’t even have states.
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
ligeorge
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Is anyone else's regionals competition at risk of being cancelled bc of Coronavirus?

Post by ligeorge »

The Santa Clara County Regionals director has been emailing coaches all weekend, first saying that the competition in a few weeks would be cancelled because of worries of large crowds during this time of coronavirus panic (they were at one point planning on sending proctors to individual schools I think, or somehow remotely hosting the competition), then another email was sent saying that the competition was not cancelled but still had a high chance of being cancelled anyways depending on what the host university of local authorities say. Is this happening in any other county than SCC? At this rate we might not get the chance to compete :cry:

Return to “General Competition”