Test Exchanges/Resources

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Anonymous15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Test Exchanges/Resources

Post by Anonymous15 » May 29th, 2020, 8:21 am

Hey guys!

I was looking through past threads and I found one that discussed the Wiki test exchange. Other than this, the scioly.org test exchange, and captain's tryouts, what are the other public or private test exchanges out there (if any)?

Additionally, other than test exchanges and resources on soinc.org/scioly.org, what are some resources that you or you team like to use during the season? We don't really anything too elaborate other than Google.

Thank you all and stay safe!

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Test Exchanges/Resources

Post by Adi1008 » May 29th, 2020, 10:52 am

Captains' Summer Exchange is run over the summer by a small group of captains (historically from Seven Lakes, Mason, and a few other schools) through Facebook. It usually begins right after SOSI, but I'm not sure when it'll start this year given the COVID-19 pandemic. If you're a part of the SciOly Captains 2021 Facebook group, you'll probably see some posts about these during the summer that'll give more information on how to join.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

sciolyperson1
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 » May 29th, 2020, 10:57 am

Anonymous15 wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 8:21 am
Hey guys!

I was looking through past threads and I found one that discussed the Wiki test exchange. Other than this, the scioly.org test exchange, and captain's tryouts, what are the other public or private test exchanges out there (if any)?

Additionally, other than test exchanges and resources on soinc.org/scioly.org, what are some resources that you or you team like to use during the season? We don't really anything too elaborate other than Google.

Thank you all and stay safe!
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2020_ ... eased_Sets

There are public tests such as MIT, Princeton, and UGA here.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18
'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP

Nats:
Team - 3rd '18, '19
Roller - 1st '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

MIT: Gravity - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, WIDI -1st '20

Rate my tests!

gz839918
State: NC

Post by gz839918 » May 29th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Funny thing that you've mentioned private exchanges. If you have friends on teams from other states (such as people you met at an invitational tournament), you could ask them to trade resources like notes and tryout tests, as well as swap advice on your events, especially tips and tricks for build and lab events. Because they're not competing against you at regionals/states if your teams are from different states, it helps both of your teams to learn from each other.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 » May 29th, 2020, 4:22 pm

gz839918 wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 2:46 pm
Funny thing that you've mentioned private exchanges. If you have friends on teams from other states (such as people you met at an invitational tournament), you could ask them to trade resources like notes and tryout tests, as well as swap advice on your events, especially tips and tricks for build and lab events. Because they're not competing against you at regionals/states if your teams are from different states, it helps both of your teams to learn from each other.
*east has entered the chat*
"private test trading"
*east has left the chat*
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by syo_astro » May 29th, 2020, 4:48 pm

gz839918 wrote:
Well the really funny thing is that still sounds like a recipe for bad feelings between teams within a given state. To be clear, that's just from my experience - the team I used to compete for was very scared and strict about talking with other teams in our state exactly because of that mentality (mostly a waste of time imo). Anyway, as MadCow suggested, please no private test trading discussions.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 29th, 2020, 5:26 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 4:22 pm
gz839918 wrote:
*east has entered the chat*
"private test trading"
*east has left the chat*
While I still strongly believe that the practice of private test trading is morally bankrupt, I don't know that my voice or opinion is still relevant, so I've chosen to mostly stay out of it at this point.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

gz839918
State: NC

Post by gz839918 » May 30th, 2020, 2:02 pm

I do not condone test trading on scioly.org.

However, I do not think trading should be a curse word, when "collaborate" or "share" are not. We do not allow trading on scioly.org because it breaks multiple site rules of copyright, advertising, and spamming (if you give a mouse a test, they'll ask for another, and another...). However, while I do not endorse test trading on scioly.org, as a matter of principle there is nothing wrong with two teams collaborating on homemade, legal resources elsewhere. This is the same basis for SSSS: students across teams collaborate on resources, which are shared among everybody who contributed, and later to everybody everywhere. The real SSSS, being a public exchange, is significantly more robust and expansive than any private one ever could be. Nevertheless, if two teams wish to hold a mini-SSSS between them, then I don't see why they can't, so long as they follow all applicable laws in their jurisdiction, and so long as they don't hold it on scioly.org, because that would violate scioly.org rules about copyright, advertising, and spam.
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post (total 2):
sciolyperson1 (May 30th, 2020, 8:28 pm) • CPScienceDude (May 30th, 2020, 10:18 pm)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23

Return to “General Competition”