mini SO

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

mini SO

Post by bernard »

mini SO is Science Olympiad's learning model for students still who are still isolated in their homes and distance learning. The model uses a modified slate of events without hands-on events for reasons of supervision and safety.
Science Olympiad, Inc. wrote:This [mini SO] model is responsive to students who are still isolated in their homes and distance learning. To protect students at home without faculty supervision, we cannot allow hands-on events to be run. A chart showing acceptable events is attached. Tests can still be prepared by Event Supervisors and delivered through a variety of tech platforms, via email, or even snail mail if needed. Again, a synchronous or asynchronous model can work. We may be able to add to the list of acceptable events as the year progresses!

It's important to note that when choosing Satellite SO or mini SO for a tournament, in order to preserve as much equity as possible, all players must play the same way within a single tournament, whether it’s a Satellite SO, mini SO or an in-person, single-location tournament. We expect and understand that multiple models may be used within a state to meet varying conditions; the various options should allow you to quickly respond to a changing landscape.
Visit soinc.org/tournaments to read about the several models of learning Science Olympiad is employing to continue the learning while keeping students safe.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Polypcrabio (September 17th, 2020, 5:42 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: mini SO

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MiniSO event slate updated here: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 090820.pdf

- Does not run Boomilever and Wright Stuff, like the previous event slate released in June, but does have an alternative, Digital Structures.
- Does not run PPP
- Runs Experimental Design
- Replaces WIDI with Write It CAD It

Hopefully tournaments such as MIT, SOUP, and Princeton revert to this event slate to include these 21 events, rather than using the 18 event slate from before.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post (total 4):
gz839918 (September 13th, 2020, 8:51 pm) • lumosityfan (September 14th, 2020, 10:36 am) • Polypcrabio (September 17th, 2020, 5:42 pm) • Mr.Epithelium (September 18th, 2020, 5:39 am)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

Are those all of the alternative events for the MiniSO format? I'm still trying to wrap my head around trial events versus alternative events.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

OrigamiPlanet wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:13 pm Are those all of the alternative events for the MiniSO format? I'm still trying to wrap my head around trial events versus alternative events.
The alternative events I listed (exdesi, wici) are all MiniSO format (from the updated miniso event slate). Alternative events replace normal events, trial events are added onto the normal events but do not count towards team score.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
bp31000
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Post by bp31000 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:30 pm
OrigamiPlanet wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:13 pm Are those all of the alternative events for the MiniSO format? I'm still trying to wrap my head around trial events versus alternative events.
The alternative events I listed (exdesi, wici) are all MiniSO format (from the updated miniso event slate). Alternative events replace normal events, trial events are added onto the normal events but do not count towards team score.
our state competition is mini SO, but we do it from our schools (like a satellite SO), but trial event of environmental chemistry is there, what can i expect? i imagine its going to be all test, are there any sample questions or any such available? the rules says about water testing etc, which obviously is not going to happen...
and also, do not count towards team score? are there medals for this?
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
meierfra
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Post by meierfra »

bp31000 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:54 pm our state competition is mini SO, but we do it from our schools (like a satellite SO), but trial event of environmental chemistry is there, what can i expect? i imagine its going to be all test, are there any sample questions or any such available? the rules says about water testing etc, which obviously is not going to happen...
I know UMich ran Environmental Chemistry at their invite, and they released their test set.
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2021_Test_Exchange
There may be others that also did.
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

meierfra wrote: April 16th, 2021, 5:55 am

I know UMich ran Environmental Chemistry at their invite, and they released their test set.
Thank you!!
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
Lei0
Coach
Coach

Post by Lei0 »

At Camas Invite we also have Env Chemistry trial event. Link to test folder here - feel free to DM me if you have question on the test. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
These users thanked the author Lei0 for the post (total 2):
bernard (April 27th, 2021, 3:09 pm) • sciolyperson1 (May 8th, 2021, 3:06 pm)
Riflens
Has thanked: 0

Post by Riflens »

meierfra wrote: April 16th, 2021, 5:55 am
bp31000 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:54 pm our state competition is mini SO, but we do it from our schools (like a satellite SO), but trial event of environmental chemistry is there, what can i expect? i imagine its going to be all test, are there any sample questions or any such available? the rules says about water testing etc, which obviously is not going to happen...
That's just what I need! Thank you :arrow-up:

Return to “General Competition”