Last year?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
cookietran
Division: B
State: AK
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Last year?

Post by cookietran » August 21st, 2020, 1:08 am

Is anyone's last year of SO going to be this coming year? It's making me sad, really. I've always wanted to go to nationals, but my team has never been good enough, and this is the last chance I'd have. I'm planning to go all out and completely devote my life to competitions now.
These users thanked the author cookietran for the post (total 2):
jaspattack (August 21st, 2020, 11:09 am) • sneepity (August 28th, 2020, 11:29 am)

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Last year?

Post by gz839918 » August 21st, 2020, 8:27 am

Is there a team at your high school? Your profile says you're in Division B, and if no team exists, you could help to start one! It's not a bad idea to give it all you got (while making sure not to push yourself past your limits); after all, it gives you something to do during the pandemic, which is a time when other activities are struggling to go virtual. However, doing science doesn't have to end when you leave Div B.

Carpe diem!
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23

pepperonipi
Division: C
State: FL

Post by pepperonipi » August 21st, 2020, 10:22 am

My last year of competing in SO will be this year. But, I don't think that's going to stop my involvement in Science Olympiad by any means, and I think that this can be the case for you.

If you've never made nationals, but really would like to this year, try getting your team motivated - connect with your team members, help them, and push them along! It's not going to help you much if you're the only one on your team who's pushing hard. Synergize with your team, and the results you all will be able to achieve will be much greater. (If you want advice on this, there are plenty of threads on that topic on these forums - just try searching some relevant keywords, and you'll probably find what you're looking for!)

Also, remember that you don't have to leave Science Olympiad when you're no longer eligible to compete, whether because of team reasons or age reasons. You can help out at local tournaments (not sure how well that is suited for Alaska, though), you can discuss and help others on the Scioly.org forums and wiki, or you can try reaching out to tournaments to see if they need a test writer or proctor. Even if you're in Alaska and cannot find a tournament there that needs test writers, some tournaments around the US will let you write the test and they will find another person to physically proctor it for you at the tournament. The sky is your limit when it comes to your involvement in SciOly.

Best of luck. :D
These users thanked the author pepperonipi for the post (total 7):
jaspattack (August 21st, 2020, 11:09 am) • sciolyperson1 (August 21st, 2020, 11:24 am) • lumosityfan (August 21st, 2020, 1:47 pm) • jaggie34 (August 21st, 2020, 10:51 pm) • Unome (August 25th, 2020, 7:32 am) • azboy1910 (August 26th, 2020, 8:17 am) • sneepity (August 28th, 2020, 11:29 am)
❄️ happy holidays! ❄️

Boca Raton Community High School
My Wiki Page | School Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI

jaggie34
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 » August 21st, 2020, 10:53 pm

My last year ended up pretty disappointing (i.e. Nats was cancelled) but I've just used that to motivate me to do lots of volunteering to help everyone else and to look for more opportunities to compete
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
Circuit Lab writer/co-writer: UT Austin, Rickards, Yosemite, Mira Loma, Northern Florida Regionals, Yale, Case Western, Golden Gate, Princeton, Georgia States, Florida States
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess

Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Location: Pretend hugging SIlverBreeze because social distancing

Post by Umaroth » August 22nd, 2020, 1:14 am

I'll pull a page from Mr. Evola's book and talk about the difference between a team and a program here.

A team is defined by a finite amount of time, like saying the 2019 team or 2018 team. A program, however, is unbounded by time. On teams, people come and go, but people stay part of a program no matter how much time changes, albeit with a different role.

If you choose to view Science Olympiad as a program, there does not have to be a "last year," only an opportunity for your role to change in the program. Within a school's program, it could mean actively coaching or just checking in occasionally and cheering for them at competitions. In the context of SciOly as a whole, your role can change from competitor to volunteer or coach, and you can still actively contribute to the program and the program can still benefit you. I advise you not to look at it as your last year of Science Olympiad, but your last year in the role of competitor and stepping into the role of a supporter.
These users thanked the author Umaroth for the post (total 4):
MadCow2357 (August 22nd, 2020, 9:47 am) • gz839918 (August 22nd, 2020, 1:09 pm) • lumosityfan (August 23rd, 2020, 7:06 am) • azboy1910 (August 26th, 2020, 8:17 am)
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now
2021 Tryouts: Circuit, Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines

The team may be gone, but the program lives on...
Umaroth's Userpage

smayya337
State: VA

Post by smayya337 » August 22nd, 2020, 5:08 am

This coming season is my second-to-last as a competitor, not my last (though it's quite strange - my first season doesn't feel all that long ago!), but I know how you feel about really wanting to make nats. To that, I say try your best - though your teammates will need to work hard as well (you can't do it yourself) and you should also take care of yourself. I've thrown a lot of stress on myself before while preparing for competitions. It's not pretty. Once you get to high school, see if anyone would be interesting in continuing SciOly with you! Then you get four more years to try and make nats. And if that isn't possible, I'll just echo Umaroth's page pulling above and point out that it's still possible to be involved in SO without competing. Organizing tournaments and volunteering can be quite fun! You could also coach your team and help them get to nats. At the end of the day, you can be involved with Science Olympiad for as long as you want. That's one of my favorite things about the competition.
TJHSST '22
2021 Events: Code/Detector/Sounds
smayya337's Userpage

SilverBreeze
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by SilverBreeze » August 22nd, 2020, 6:43 pm

Just jumping on to say that you don't have to be out of high school to volunteer. There are lots of opportunities to help out! Make the most of your last year competing and then keep being a part of SciOly!
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

The team may be gone, but the program lives on...

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan » August 23rd, 2020, 7:20 am

I definitely know that feeling you’re going through right now. As a senior way back in 2015, I knew that my time as a competitor was coming to an end. I felt emotional about the whole thing, because I would miss competing immensely (and still to this day I do). I took that time to really give it my all to ensure that my time competing in SciOly wouldn’t go to waste (and it led to our school’s best finish at states, a memory that I will cherish forever). I don’t think I realized exactly what I could fully do after competing until I started volunteering at NJ regs. Once that happened, and I started to get involved in invitationals, I became excited for the opportunity to give back to the SciOly community through writing tests, supervising events, mentoring teams, and in general interacting with fellow scientists from across the country. So just know that your SciOly journey does not end with your final competition; indeed, I would say it would only continue as you enter the world of Division D and beyond.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

Booknerd
Division: B
State: IL
Location: Trying not to kill my eyes from too many hours on screens :')

Post by Booknerd » August 24th, 2020, 11:16 am

Looking back on what I wrote I realize that I repeat myself a lot and kinda go on a rant. Sorry. >.< I hope that you can at least get the main idea that I'm aiming for.

If it's your last year as a competitor, make the most out of it and look for the experiences that make you happy.

This year also (might) be my last year. I don't know if I'm going to continue scioly throughout high school in div. C. I'm also thinking about volunteering for my middle school's team. But I haven't made a decision about that yet, since I still have a year until I have to decide how I'll continue scioly. Either way, this is my last year in Div. B, and I'm going to make the most out of it. I know for sure that I definetely won't make nats. But that's okay. Just because I don't make nats doesn't mean that scioly wasn't a good experience. Scioly shouldn't just be about making nats and winning. It should be about trying your best and making memories along the way. This past year was tough for me. One of my invites was a complete bomb and regs was canceled 4 days prior. I had high hopes, which were crushed. Even though I didn't walk out of this year with as many medals as I wanted, I came out with something much more important. The memories. This year was still an incredible experience. I made new friends, who I still talk to today. I bonded with many others through strange and unusual experiences, like running around the hallways with our gliders, splattering paint all over our team shirts, and running out in the snow together. I got to connect with people, both on our team and people on our rival teams. This year, I lost everything. I lost my competitions, my hopes, and my motivation. But through losing it all, I gained something much more. I realized that scioly isn't just about the medals or trophies or state titles. It's about the experiences that shape us. I gained a better understanding of why I do scioly. I do it for the experience.

So this year I'm going to make the most out of it. Although I may not get any in-person competitions, medals, or even qualify to state, I'll try and make this a season I will remember forever. I won't do it all for the medals or a trophy. I'll do it all to connect with new people, find motivation and support from others, and bond with my team. I'm going to do it for the memories, so that if future me ever looks back upon this year, they'll be reminded of how much of a memorable and amazing year it was.

Because that's what we're all here for, isn't it? We're all here for the scioly experience that we know and love.
These users thanked the author Booknerd for the post (total 5):
sciolyperson1 (August 24th, 2020, 1:59 pm) • gz839918 (August 24th, 2020, 4:59 pm) • EwwPhysics (August 24th, 2020, 5:53 pm) • azboy1910 (August 26th, 2020, 8:15 am) • sneepity (August 28th, 2020, 11:29 am)
🥑 We don't talk about Pentathlon.🥑

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett » August 26th, 2020, 7:12 am

This will be my last year of SO as a competitor. I personally am merely looking to have fun, and enjoy scioly for once, rather than only keep my head down and grind. One thing that's made me a lot happier is test writing and reviewing. It makes me feel productive when I don't want to work on scioly (which is a lot of the time as of late)
Menomonie Scioly

2021 Events:
Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Possibly Geocaching.

X.

Return to “General Competition”