2011 Events.

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
blufoster6
Division: C
State: SC

Re: 2011 Events.

Postby blufoster6 » July 8th, 2010, 11:24 am

I think it has to do with bacteria and viruses and what not.
DOUBLE RAINBOW

blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby blue cobra » July 8th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Haha, way ahead of you. I actually emailed SOinc and asked them to put up the rest of the results so I could finish my spreadsheet. I am in the midst of transfering it to the wiki. Aren't you glad I did all the work for you?
What does your spreadsheet look like (I am assuming you are just transferring the information to the wiki, and not the excel file)? I am not too skilled with excel, and I feel my organizational structure leaves much to be desired.
In full color since 2006

2win
State: TX

Postby 2win » July 8th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Oh dears, been away from scioly too long i think... wahhh....

Well, as for Anatomy, i'm upset that they've kept the muscular system... it's soooo boring to me! :oops:
k-tx. retiring from scioly.

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » July 8th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Well, as for Anatomy, i'm upset that they've kept the muscular system... it's soooo boring to me! :oops:
Ugh...it's not just boring, it's dumb, and I hate it. First of all, I didn't want Anatomy, but I got stuck on the event anyways. Then, I had a conflict with Regionals, so I didn't even know what a typical test was like. And then the State test had Nats stuff on it, and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing because I was concentrating all my time on Solar System, Trajectory, and Dyn. Planet. :evil:

Ok, rant over.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

personasaurus rex

Postby personasaurus rex » July 10th, 2010, 4:39 am

It's not that fancy- I mean, I suppose they could have called it Acoustics instead of Sounds of Music, but I think the current name has something to do with the fact that you have to build musical instruments and play them, not just learn about the science of sound and take a test.
im pretty sure the current name is a allusion to the movie "sound of music" loll
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

fossilgirl4ever
State: NC

Postby fossilgirl4ever » July 11th, 2010, 6:23 am

I know this will probably sound stupid, but could someone explain to me exactly what optics, protein modeling, and wind power is? Like, in SO, not the definition. Thanks.
2011 Events: Regionals- Fossils 1st, Ornithology 2nd, Remote Sensing 1st, Food Science (NC) 3rd

Brother: We are learning about coordinate grids in math class.
Me: Oh, that's like the beginning of life!!

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Paradox21 » July 11th, 2010, 10:13 am

We can't be entirly sure of what these events will be, because they are new events, however all 3 have been run as trial events. Optics is just a code name for Physics Lab, with the emphasis being on optics, this year. How light behaves when it passes through lenses and other objects and whatnot. Grab a physics textbook, find the optics section. Protein Modeling will likely involve the construction of some protein prior to competition conprising pipe cleaners and other household items. There will then be an on-site construction of a protien and a test on proteins. Wind power will likely involve going to a competition and constructing a fan using parts provided by the rules. You are usually given a manilla folder and printer paper and tape, etc. The rules will spell out clearly what the event proctors must provide to the students. The big difference from the 2010 Physics Lab will be that the fan blade construction is on-site, everyone must use the same materials, and there may not be a written test.

***Note*** These descriptions may be flagrantly incorrect. They are simply the descriptions of the trial events of the past year and the Rules Committee may have radically altered any of these events.

fossilgirl4ever
State: NC

Postby fossilgirl4ever » July 11th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Thank you so much! I just wanted an idea because I really want to branch out this year. That was really helpful, thanks.
2011 Events: Regionals- Fossils 1st, Ornithology 2nd, Remote Sensing 1st, Food Science (NC) 3rd

Brother: We are learning about coordinate grids in math class.
Me: Oh, that's like the beginning of life!!

2win
State: TX

Postby 2win » July 11th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Ugh...it's not just boring, it's dumb, and I hate it. First of all, I didn't want Anatomy, but I got stuck on the event anyways. Then, I had a conflict with Regionals, so I didn't even know what a typical test was like. And then the State test had Nats stuff on it, and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing because I was concentrating all my time on Solar System, Trajectory, and Dyn. Planet. :evil:

Ok, rant over.
LOL, i agree with the hate part. xD

anyhoo, i'm also sad they took out environmental chem... it was my best event in b div.. does anyone know what chem lab is about??
k-tx. retiring from scioly.

personasaurus rex

Postby personasaurus rex » July 12th, 2010, 4:05 am

LOL, i agree with the hate part. xD

anyhoo, i'm also sad they took out environmental chem... it was my best event in b div.. does anyone know what chem lab is about??
from what i understand, you basically do a science-class-like lab on any topic in chemistry.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

Return to “General Competition”