Is Science Olympiad worth it?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
EpicFailOlympian
Division: Grad
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is Science Olympiad worth it?

Post by EpicFailOlympian » April 28th, 2010, 7:11 am

gh wrote:I didn't have a coach at all; it was a wholly student-run team (another story :).
:o :shock: How? I might try that... If you tell me... :P
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<robobear> well u know what efo, the table's angry
<robobear> ┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)I am 97th Assassinator

[dan]
Division: C
State: NY

Post by [dan] » April 29th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Yes. Completely yes. I would not have a work ethic or any sense of time management or ability to manage multiple difficult tasks at once without Science Olympiad.
My Division is C as in Cat, providing the coach lets me on the team after missing the first meeting.

Attention partners: I will always, always be mad at you for something. Even if you study.

eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 » May 1st, 2010, 12:03 pm

Absolutely, Always, YES
This is my last year of division B science olympiad, and for the first time ever, we won the state, and I won my favorite event, Wright Stuff. I've made friends that I wouldn't have, gone (or am going to) places that I wouldn't have, developed some incredibly useful skills, and learned some amazing things. The best part was being able to create a plane that weighs the same as 7 paperclips, and flies for over 3 minutes. It will always be worth it.
#ACESWILD

Helix_Nebula_Freak
Location: Somewhere gazing at the stars and pondering the nature of man's existence

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak » May 1st, 2010, 8:08 pm

I know everyone else had talked about the team aspect of SO, but I'm going to have to repeat it. My SO team became my family. They were the only friends I had for a long time. And they truly saved my life. Slowly but surly, my team and coaches pulled me out of a deep depression I was in 6th Grade. Before my peers' eyes the shy, reclusive, dismal 6th Grader they knew transformed into a bubbly, optimistic 8th grader. Thanks to SO, I was able to enter High School with my head held high, instead of memorizing the patterns of my High School's floors.

Also SO taught me patience and persisitance. In anything, it's so easy to give up, but something like SO requires a lot of patience. You work. You work. You work. You work. You fail. You work. You work. You work. You fail. You work. You work. You work. You succeed. You feel fantastic, and your team feels fantastic for you. And you know what? Little things that go wrong in your everyday life don't feel so bad any more; you realize you can overcome them, if you only keep trying.

For me, it was totally worth it. For you, it may not be. But DO NOT let one bad competition or even one bad season make you decide to quit. Next year might be better. Like you said, you're a freshman-- you've got time.

Whatever you choose, I hope it makes you happy in the end. :)
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May

Jocool

Post by Jocool » May 1st, 2010, 8:43 pm

i agree. i just had my states and we somehow did really badly. but, all it really did in the end was make my team more determined to defeat our rivals next year.
Go to Jocool's Userpage for my results.

Halo Series Fan
Male.
Assassinator #22.
C.P. Weber Scioly Team Rule #42: BLAME TEAM 3

cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert » May 3rd, 2010, 9:27 pm

Helix_Nebula_Freak wrote:I know everyone else had talked about the team aspect of SO, but I'm going to have to repeat it. My SO team became my family. They were the only friends I had for a long time. And they truly saved my life. Slowly but surly, my team and coaches pulled me out of a deep depression I was in 6th Grade. Before my peers' eyes the shy, reclusive, dismal 6th Grader they knew transformed into a bubbly, optimistic 8th grader. Thanks to SO, I was able to enter High School with my head held high, instead of memorizing the patterns of my High School's floors.

Also SO taught me patience and persisitance. In anything, it's so easy to give up, but something like SO requires a lot of patience. You work. You work. You work. You work. You fail. You work. You work. You work. You fail. You work. You work. You work. You succeed. You feel fantastic, and your team feels fantastic for you. And you know what? Little things that go wrong in your everyday life don't feel so bad any more; you realize you can overcome them, if you only keep trying.

For me, it was totally worth it. For you, it may not be. But DO NOT let one bad competition or even one bad season make you decide to quit. Next year might be better. Like you said, you're a freshman-- you've got time.

Whatever you choose, I hope it makes you happy in the end. :)
But what about when you join during junoir year at high school :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

gyourkoshaven

Post by gyourkoshaven » June 1st, 2010, 9:04 pm

Yes. 1,000,000% Yes.

I entered middle school timid and afraid. I was pretty smart, but that was pretty much it. I wasn't athletic or artistic or gifted in some other way. And for the first 2 months of school, all cared about was fitting in (Which I wasn't doing a great job of).
Mostly due to the convincing of Eyeball138, I showed up at our team's first meeting that 6th grade year. I interrupted a lot, asking a bevy of never-ending questions, and felt totally confused. After that meeting, I decided I would focus on 3 events, Science CrimeBusters, Food Science, and Mystery Architecture. My first day of CrimeBusters, I didn't know what solubility or alkalinity was so I was largely doing nothing productive. Then, not knowing any lab procedures, I put a jar of this clear liquid called a-moan-yah right up to my nose. I screamed and lost my sense of smell for about 15 minutes. I almost quit after that. However I did come back the rest of the week for the meetings for the other two events.
However, by mid-December I had failed miserably in all of my events, and decided I was going nowhere good. I decided that I would quit. After sitting at home really bored and miserable for a month, I decided I would give it one more shot. Best decision of my life.
We were a month away from the competition, however we didn't yet have a trajectory. They put me right on it. And even though I had no physics knowledge, I was determined to get this done. And over that one month, spent 2 hours every day making that trajectory. It taught me determination and patience. However, over that month I also became a lot happier. I was having a blast at Science Olympiad. And I really began to develop a personality, and became more energetic. And by the end of February, I had completed that trajectory, and I had also become one of the most popular kids in my grade.
And although the trajectory got 15th, and they had Haven Chuck build a new one that got 4th at states, I took a gazillion dollars worth of information and life lessons out of that trajectory.

In the following 2 years, Science Olympiad has taught me 3 very important lessons:
1. Life isn't always fair: I did Environmental Chemistry in 7th grade. My partner and I were truly a horrendous match. He was an 8th grader, so I figured that he would be more valuable to the event. However he had to focus all of his energy towards our annually horrendous (Until this year) Wright Stuff. So as a 7th grader, knowing nothing about chemistry, I had to exert a TON of energy into getting all of the testing equipment and soil samples that we needed. And truthfully, we sucked at it. (I will come back to this later)

In 8th grade (This very year), our team decided to register for the Solon Invitational. We were really excited for months, and were getting prepared. Then in mid-January (The invitational is the Saturday before the Super Bowl), my grandmother fell ill, and I was not able to go to Science Olympiad for nearly 2 weeks. However, due to my extended absence, I was unable to be placed on the competing team. Then, someone on our team pulled out from going. So the day before the competition, I was put back on the competing team. So I came to school the next day, rejuvenated and inspired in the miracles of life. Then all of the sudden, we are informed that the school district has decided to not let us go, due to an anticipated snow storm. That sucked.

2. Persistence pays off: After we got 4th at States in 7th grade (2009), and only passing two freshmen to the high school, Haven Chuck, myself, and others began a gut-wrenching campaign to get our team to make nationals. We (He) convinced everyone to start working their butts off over the summer. And as the year dragged on, and setbacks like that listed in the paragraph above occured, we began to slack off. However we won our regionals, and kept telling everyone to keep working their hardest, and good things would happen. Then, we went into states, feeling great.

3. You've gotta believe: The day was a disaster. Our plane which had consistently been getting 2+ minutes flew for 10 seconds. Our bridge broke after 2 cups of sand. Can't Judge a Powder was a disaster. My partner had to leave me halfway through Compute This. And as the list of misfortunes piled up, it honestly became challenging to focus on the task at hand in the afternoon events. I called my mom, sulken and upset. We weren't making nationals, the year of hard work was for nothing.
Our last event was Pentathlon. 2 of us (I was one of them) had mightily struggled with both our academic and physical challenges. Then our group physical challenge was to dunk sponges in water, then pass them to our partner who would ring them out in a graduated cylinder. You finished when the cylinders were full. We were almost done, when denmarksoccer slipped. He tapped the graduated cylinder on the side, and it bent at an angle, and you knew that the cylinder was going to fall over. Then, all of the sudden, it straightened itself out. We would've had at least an extra minute on top of our time, had it fallen.

Then we went into the awards ceremony. It turned out that we had WON Can't Judge a Powder and Compute This, and did pretty well as far as the medal count went. However we were still sure we had gotten 3rd as a team. And as the announcer read each team in reverse order, the tension mounted (I even breathed a sigh of relief after 10th place :lol: ). Then after 4th place was announced, it seemed that he took a pause that was a century long (More like 10-12 seconds). 3rd Place wasn't us. We had made nats. I cried on several occasions over the next couple of days, just out of true astonishment that we had done it. That's when I learned that it's truly not over until the fat lady sings. That you've gotta believe.

On top of that, I ended up winning meterology at Nationals. So in less than 3 years, I was transformed from a timid, shy 6th grader, into a confident, narcissistic, and excessively sarcastic 8th grader.

So it's taught me not to complain about some stupid question on a math test, that a teacher put on despite the fact that we've never seen the material. It's taught me that complaining doesn't get you anywhere. Working hard does. It's taught me that you need to be the change you want to see.

Also, I mentioned that I learned discipline and patience from Science Olympiad, along with my lack of athleticism. However, over the last year, I've used the discipline to do things like tone my abs (Thanks gh! :P ), and practice basketball for hours on end. I've gotten good enough that our basketball coach next year wants me to play (Instead of SO). So science olympiad has taught me a lot.

And to conclude this terribly organized essay-type thing, I need to touch on the most important aspect of the last 3 years of my life. The bonds I have created with my teammates will never be forgotten. I've truly come to think of them as brothers, and I've talked to at least one of them almost every day for the past year. I also discovered in the last week and a half that having fun is truly more important than winning. I can have so much fun with my teammates, that we actually ENJOYED the 15 hour bus ride home from Nationals.
And in all honesty, I may not remember 30 years from now that I got 2nd in Experimental Design at regionals this year. However I'm certain I'll remember doing a good luck ritual with eyeball before a DP test, and jamming to 50Cent with denmarksoccer, and having Haven Chuck throw a golfball at me, and mocking pretty much every single thing about LoveRespectPeace's life.

Science Olympiad has been my life for the last 3 years, and I'm incredibly glad that I haven't had to experience middle school without it.

EDIT: Btw, this legitimately took me an hour to write :lol:
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...

winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife » June 2nd, 2010, 3:37 pm

Wow...I just read that ENTIRE friggin' essay. Nice life story. You should write a book :lol:

I'm impressed that the thread is still alive, but I'm also touched. Or maybe I'm just turning soft since all the seniors (who have been some of my best friends this year) leave me for greater and better things in 11 days, and I won't see them after that.

Either way, I thank all of you who have shared YOUR Sci-O stories to inspire me to keep trying.

blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra » June 6th, 2010, 10:12 am

One of the best things about sci oly is the building skills I've gained. I'm confident that once I familiarize myself with the proper tools, I could build nearly anything (within reason) whether it be balsa, oak, or steel. In fact, I'm thinking of building and selling some chairs/tables this summer.
In full color since 2006

Jocool

Post by Jocool » June 6th, 2010, 10:41 am

i thought it was a nice experience. we learned how to build things, and i learned a lot about maps i made many new friends, and, when i was slightly depressed last year, it gave me purpose. i found this website too, and i am happy here. i know people on this website and it is nice. i plan on doing engineering things in my spare time, no matter where in life i am. but also, this experience has taught me there is always something you can be proud of. i never really thought i was a winner or the person who helped win a competition. but now, i no that i, with my partner, are the ones that got seconds an thirds for our team, and helped it to win. turns out we were very skilled at maps and building cars.
Go to Jocool's Userpage for my results.

Halo Series Fan
Male.
Assassinator #22.
C.P. Weber Scioly Team Rule #42: BLAME TEAM 3

Return to “General Competition”