Nats Bids

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Creationist127
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Nats Bids

Post by Creationist127 »

So, obviously, SciOly participation is going down this year. This is lame for everyone, especially the people in states that might have too little participation for a state tournament. Some silver lining, though, could be the redistribution of these lost bids to other states. I've been wondering...
  • How are Nats bids usually distributed, i.e. how do they decide which states get two, one, or none? (Obviously, yes, number of teams, but is the specific threshold known?)
  • When are they usually decided, and when do you think they'll be decided this year? (Or are they already known?)
  • Is the distribution usually publicly available, and if so, where?
  • Any predictions as to specific changes? (Unless, of course, bids are already known.)
(If there's a better place to post this, point me there!)
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Nats Bids

Post by Unome »

- Bids are allocated per-division. All states that accept a bid get a bid. The remainder up to 60 go to the largest states by number of teams in order.
- Typically by the end of March, but there have been occasions where a state has declined a bid as late as the end of April where another state got it (e.g. 2011 DC -> MN Div C).
- The national membership map and national tournament team numbers are generally posted around the same time in late March/early April.
- It's possible that some states will fall to low enough participation that they start declining bids. I don't know exactly how membership is this year though. I wouldn't expect any changes to the bid allocation structure.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Creationist127
State: IN

Post by Creationist127 »

Unome wrote: October 30th, 2020, 10:12 am - Bids are allocated per-division. All states that accept a bid get a bid. The remainder up to 60 go to the largest states by number of teams in order.
- Typically by the end of March, but there have been occasions where a state has declined a bid as late as the end of April where another state got it (e.g. 2011 DC -> MN Div C).
- The national membership map and national tournament team numbers are generally posted around the same time in late March/early April.
- It's possible that some states will fall to low enough participation that they start declining bids. I don't know exactly how membership is this year though. I wouldn't expect any changes to the bid allocation structure.
Interesting. I didn't know that state team numbers weren't known until that late--although it makes sense, since state tournaments aren't until then. Thanks!
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Creationist127 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 10:59 am
Unome wrote: October 30th, 2020, 10:12 am - Bids are allocated per-division. All states that accept a bid get a bid. The remainder up to 60 go to the largest states by number of teams in order.
Interesting. I didn't know that state team numbers weren't known until that late--although it makes sense, since state tournaments aren't until then. Thanks!
Yeah, I think the official deadline for states to submit their registration numbers is sometime in March.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jjwkim
Division: B
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

States sending two teams to nationals?

Post by jjwkim »

Anyone know where you can find the list of states sending two teams to nats this year?? Or when/where it will be released? Anxious state runner-up student here. CROSSING MY FINGERS THEY LET VIRGINIA DOUBLE UP.

State director said April 1st but hoping it will be sooner plus idk where to find them. ty.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Re: States sending two teams to nationals?

Post by pb5754 »

jjwkim wrote: March 28th, 2021, 1:46 pm Anyone know where you can find the list of states sending two teams to nats this year?? Or when/where it will be released? Anxious state runner-up student here. CROSSING MY FINGERS THEY LET VIRGINIA DOUBLE UP.

State director said April 1st but hoping it will be sooner plus idk where to find them. ty.
should be released on 4/1 on soinc.org
judging from registration numbers, i think va is pretty likely to get a second div b bid, but don't quote me on that
These users thanked the author pb5754 for the post:
jjwkim (April 7th, 2021, 10:23 am)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
Blesson
State: NY

Post by Blesson »

jjwkim wrote: March 28th, 2021, 1:46 pm Anyone know where you can find the list of states sending two teams to nats this year?? Or when/where it will be released? Anxious state runner-up student here. CROSSING MY FINGERS THEY LET VIRGINIA DOUBLE UP.

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... umbers.pdf

They were just released today.
These users thanked the author Blesson for the post (total 2):
IOnlyShoot3s (April 4th, 2021, 10:32 am) • jjwkim (April 7th, 2021, 10:20 am)
Syosset High School
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

Looks like you got your wish, congratulations on making nats!
These users thanked the author Umaroth for the post:
jjwkim (April 7th, 2021, 10:23 am)
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
jjwkim
Division: B
State: VA