Scilympiad FAQ

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Scilympiad FAQ

Post by builderguy135 »

Scilympiad FAQ:
Q: Why did my question not save?
A: Chances are, you're either not using a supported browser, you didn't click out of the text box before time ended, you're logged into Scilympiad from multiple tabs or browsers, or you have internet issues. In addition, you may also not take two tests at the same time.

Q: How do I know answers are not saving and what should I do?
A: If the answer is saved, it will say "Answer Saved" in green under the question. If it continues not to save, then note down all of the answers that are not saved and reload the page. If this still does not work, see the previous question to help diagnose the issue.

Q: How are questions in Scilympiad graded?
A: Multiple choice and multiple select questions are automatically. It is very, very unlikely that Scilympiad has issues with grading these questions. If you did not receive partial credit for multiple select questions, it is likely because the setting for partial credit is turned off.

Q: But I got this multiple choice question correct, and I didn't receive credit!
A: It is overwhelmingly likely that the ES "skipped" this question when grading.

Q: This question is graded wrong!
A: This is not an issue for #scilympiad. Instead, try #general, #events, or #competitions.

Q: What events will be run? Am I allowed digital notesheets? (and similar)
A: These are tournament-specific questions. This channel is for Scilympiad, not invitationals or competitions. When in doubt, talk to your coach.

Q: Will time out of tab be tracked?
A: Again, this is tournament specific. If it is tracked, it is also extremely sensitive. If your window is not focused on the test itself, it will increment the timer. Depending on the competition, this timer may be used to detect cheating.

Q: How does horizonal grading work?
A: First, select a question in the dropdown on the top of the "Grade Online Tests" page. Then, click into a team's test - you should only see one question. Moving to other teams are self explanatory.

Q: I'm in the menu to select a test to take, but there's no link.
A: Read the text above the menu - it explains that tests may not have been published by the Scoremaster/Tournament Director, so you will not be able to see the test.

Q: How are waivers signed?
A: You, the student, may not sign them. Your parents have to make an account and sign the waiver using the link that was sent to your team.

Q: Why are the answers given on the test?
A: It is overwhelmingly likely that your Event Supervisor inputted the test incorrectly.

Q: How do I communicate with the Event Supervisor?
A: There is a chat box at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. You may type a message in this box to communicate with the Event Supervisor.

Q: As an Event Supervisor, how do I communicate with a team or make an announcement?
A: There are two buttons - one broadcasts the message to all teams (as ES-ALL) and another to send a message to one specific team.

Here's some guides that may provide extra information:
Director Guide
Student Guide
Event Supervisor Guide
Head Coach Guide
BEARSO Tournament Guide

If there's any questions about Scilympiad, please feel free to ask below (or in the Scioly.org Discord!)

-AC
These users thanked the author builderguy135 for the post (total 10):
gz839918 (January 25th, 2021, 2:48 pm) • AstroClarinet (January 25th, 2021, 5:28 pm) • sciolyperson1 (January 25th, 2021, 5:45 pm) • imaditi (January 25th, 2021, 5:46 pm) • lumosityfan (January 26th, 2021, 7:37 am) • LittleMissNyan (January 26th, 2021, 7:44 am) • Booknerd (January 26th, 2021, 8:26 am) • Umaroth (January 26th, 2021, 10:33 pm) • Giantpants (January 27th, 2021, 11:39 pm) • MadCow2357 (February 9th, 2021, 8:38 pm)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Scilympiad Audio File Guide

Post by builderguy135 »

Since there's been a lot of questions about it, here'sa quick guide to uploading audio files to Scilympiad, mostly used for the Ornithology and Sounds of Music events.

Please let me know if there's any questions!

-AC
These users thanked the author builderguy135 for the post (total 2):
Giantpants (January 27th, 2021, 11:38 pm) • lumosityfan (January 28th, 2021, 7:56 pm)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
meierfra
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Re: Scilympiad Audio File Guide

Post by meierfra »

builderguy135 wrote: January 27th, 2021, 9:35 pm Since there's been a lot of questions about it, here'sa quick guide to uploading audio files to Scilympiad, mostly used for the Ornithology and Sounds of Music events.
I found another option for embedding audio files when I found out the free users of DropBox have limits on the number of shares per day and shares per file.

You can get a direct link for a Google Drive file. There are third-part sites that will do it. I used:
https://www.wonderplugin.com/online-too ... generator/
It says something about an API key but that's only if your file is larger than 100MB, which a bird call will not be, so just skip that line.

This was the regular sharing link for my bird call in Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c1hWPk ... sp=sharing

When I put the sharing link into the direct link generator, it gives me the direct link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... 5sE0q_g3gu

So my final code was:
<audio controls=""> <source src="https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... 5sE0q_g3gu" type="audio/mpeg"> </audio>

So if you want insert an audio file, copy that line and replace my direct link with yours.
Once you've got your code ready, open Code View, (the icon with the slash between the sideways carets) and paste it at the bottom. Be sure to close the Code View before you save, otherwise it won't save.
Last edited by meierfra on February 9th, 2021, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author meierfra for the post:
builderguy135 (February 9th, 2021, 3:39 pm)

Return to “General Competition”