Help

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
engineer661
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Help

Post by engineer661 »

Hello all! I am new to Science Olympiad and wish to join this year. I know I need to prepare for this year, but when should I start. I don't know the events for the 2022 season so how should I prepare, and when? Thanks!
These users thanked the author engineer661 for the post:
sneepity (February 12th, 2021, 5:20 am)
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Re: Help

Post by gz839918 »

engineer661 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:35 pm Hello all! I am new to Science Olympiad and wish to join this year. I know I need to prepare for this year, but when should I start. I don't know the events for the 2022 season so how should I prepare, and when? Thanks!
Welcome to Scioly.org! We're here to support students across Science Olympiad, so by asking questions, you've already started your preparations! :) There are also other threads here where you can post questions about specific events: there are 23 events in total, and you'll choose a few of them to compete in alongside a partner.

If you're talking about the current Science Olympiad season, you'll want to check in with the leaders and coach of your school's team to see how you can get involved. However, because you mentioned 2022, if you're talking about next year's season, the 2021-22 rules manual will be released sometime in September on soinc.org. The rules will tell you how each event works, and what students will do as part of the competition.

Your team may ask you to do tryouts, or they may assign events to you based on your past experience or interests. Once you're on the team, you'll compete at a regional tournament, where you'll have the chance to compete in your events. The teams that do the best in all 23 events will move onto the state tournament, and the best 1-2 teams from the state tournament will move onto nationals. There are also invitational tournaments, which are practice tournaments that don't affect your regional/state tournament.

You can also browse some past threads of advice on starting out in Science Olympiad, and if you have questions or if you want to offer more information on your situation, feel free to do so here!

viewtopic.php?f=334&t=18007
viewtopic.php?f=334&t=9952
viewtopic.php?f=334&t=3204

And here's a fun thread about how people got started in Science Olympiad:
viewtopic.php?f=334&t=10156
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
cards104171
Division: B
State: OH
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Help

Post by cards104171 »

Hello!
This is my second year of Science Olympiad, but I think I can help (at least a bit).
Here’s a link to the SciOly Wiki Main Page, where it lists all of the events for this year: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Events for 2022 will be released next year.
You may want to check out the Wiki pages for different events to see which ones you’re interested in and get more info and study material on them. How you should prepare really depends on your school. In mine, we pick 3-5 events in which we familiarize ourselves with and focus on (like, hardcore studying on them so you’re not scattered). If your school works like that (check in with your Head Coach for details), then I suggest starting to pick out a few events that you’re interested in and read/study more about them. I know some schools assign you events, though, so checking out most event descriptions might be good.
However, in 2022, I think some events will be rotated in and rotated out, so they might not all be the same (check soinc.org... I think they have details on which events are planned to be rotated).
But in general, I suggest emailing your school’s Head Coach to get a grasp on how their team(s) work. Just scanning a few wiki pages might help too :D :
Last edited by cards104171 on February 11th, 2021, 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author cards104171 for the post:
sneepity (February 12th, 2021, 5:20 am)
Current Events -
Codebusters
Fast Facts
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy

Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Density Lab
Game On