SO tryouts?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: SO tryouts?

Postby quizbowl » November 29th, 2010, 12:20 pm

haha, ok so no one has posted on this in FOREVER>>>>
we had almost 300 kids tryout this year (if not more...) and we get a 100 question test packet, a lab write up, and a series of questions... then we have a mini interview with the head coach and the last day of school results are released. :) and you have from 3 - 7 pm to finish everything. and out of 300 kids 17 8th graders and 17 7th graders make it...
That is absolutely ridiculous.
Oddly enough it is sorta similar to that where I am.
I'm making the fossils test for it as we speak (its this friday) and it is around 35 stations, with most having actual specimens. It is around 150 questions, but I'm sure that the top three will be in the high 140s.
Two years ago, I tried out for forensics - I stayed in there for around two hours, and i was one of the first ones done. I think she (super smart captain) must have given us every single powder on the list, three different scenarios and a lot of other stuff.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » November 29th, 2010, 1:46 pm

haha, ok so no one has posted on this in FOREVER>>>>
we had almost 300 kids tryout this year (if not more...) and we get a 100 question test packet, a lab write up, and a series of questions... then we have a mini interview with the head coach and the last day of school results are released. :) and you have from 3 - 7 pm to finish everything. and out of 300 kids 17 8th graders and 17 7th graders make it...
That is absolutely ridiculous.
Oddly enough it is sorta similar to that where I am.
I'm making the fossils test for it as we speak (its this friday) and it is around 35 stations, with most having actual specimens. It is around 150 questions, but I'm sure that the top three will be in the high 140s.
Two years ago, I tried out for forensics - I stayed in there for around two hours, and i was one of the first ones done. I think she (super smart captain) must have given us every single powder on the list, three different scenarios and a lot of other stuff.
For us, having enough people to necessitate that competitive of a tryout is...not happening. We basically have the same people try out and make the team year after year, with a few new people to replace the seniors/9th graders.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Primate
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Primate » November 29th, 2010, 4:10 pm

For us, having enough people to necessitate that competitive of a tryout is...not happening. We basically have the same people try out and make the team year after year, with a few new people to replace the seniors/9th graders.
Same here, though we did have a huge number of freshmen this year. (Had to have a simple, general pretest to rank people.)
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

lonestar
State: TX

Postby lonestar » November 29th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Tryouts? Haha I don't think so. We're lucky to have enough people interested in joining to make a full team.

sciolygirly
State: MI

Postby sciolygirly » December 7th, 2010, 1:18 pm

We had to take this test and it was kinda like an act test where you had to read graphs and stuff.
Events HIstory: Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, Pentathlon, Can't Judge a Powder, Compute This, Mousetrap Vehicle, Protein Modeling, Helicopters, Technical Problem Solving, Boomilever, Designer Genes, Forensics, Elastic Launch Glider, and MagLev.

Return to “General Competition”