Top 3 teams from State for National Bids?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
sciolywatson
Has thanked: 0

Re: Top 3 teams from State for National Bids?

Post by sciolywatson »

I really appreciate providing all the details about the challenges involved in running National competition with additional number of bids. I also noticed that graders have to grade certain types of (short description) questions manually and hence it takes some time to complete the grading. However, it is still possible to accommodate with additional bids as we have seen with some invitationals with same amount of participations and same ratio of graders they were able to handle the competition(by taking additional days to announce the results). For Nationals also, it is possible to handle the extra bids with same graders ratio by taking additional days for announcing the results (as same being done in the regionals/state).

This year build events are considered as trial event, there is a major disadvantage for the state team with strong builds. To level the competition and also to provide another chance for the last year’s missed opportunity, this idea of picking top 3 teams(for this unique year only) was floated in this forum.
sAkEtH
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sAkEtH »

Instead of just a blanket top 3 teams per state (which doesn't really make sense with a lot of states having 10 or less teams in total this year) and with the significant drop in registration across all states, I personally think in this theoretical land that we're talking about here (because I know as the others have brought up, nothing will change anyway) , NSO should be more liberal with their bids, offering 3 to the states that currently have 2 and lowering their threshold for the 2nd bid (perhaps to 50 teams).
River Hill High '23, Clarksville '19
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sAkEtH wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:59 am Instead of just a blanket top 3 teams per state (which doesn't really make sense with a lot of states having 10 or less teams in total this year) and with the significant drop in registration across all states, I personally think in this theoretical land that we're talking about here (because I know as the others have brought up, nothing will change anyway) , NSO should be more liberal with their bids, offering 3 to the states that currently have 2 and lowering their threshold for the 2nd bid (perhaps to 50 teams).
Note that the threshold for 2 bids currently is a floating one, and presumably a hypothetical 3-bid system would need to relate these quantities relative to each other.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Competition”