Possible 2022 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
vehicleguy
Division: C

Re: Possible 2022 Events

Post by vehicleguy »

aakoala wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:48 am When will the topics of each event (ie Dynamic Planet: Tectonics, or Meteorology: Climate) be announced?
I don't believe they'll be announced until the rules actually come out. They're sometimes easy to predict though, so if you want some insight, maybe ask the threads for the events.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
aakoala
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by aakoala »

vehicleguy wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:34 am
aakoala wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:48 am When will the topics of each event (ie Dynamic Planet: Tectonics, or Meteorology: Climate) be announced?
I don't believe they'll be announced until the rules actually come out. They're sometimes easy to predict though, so if you want some insight, maybe ask the threads for the events.
I see. I'm kinda confused though because the Rules Replay and doing events twice and whether the Rules Replay counts as a year for the cycling is whacky.
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Machines rotating out is both surprising and disappointing :(
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by gneissisnice »

MadCow2357 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:01 pm Machines rotating out is both surprising and disappointing :(
I think Machines was always gonna be rotating out, it's been two years (not counting the replay for this year).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

gneissisnice wrote: April 10th, 2021, 5:24 pm
MadCow2357 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:01 pm Machines rotating out is both surprising and disappointing :(
I think Machines was always gonna be rotating out, it's been two years (not counting the replay for this year).
No, last year was Machines first year
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

I'm kinda surprised they decided to change all 3 physics events at once. Wouldn't it be difficult for a 6th grader/freshman to pick up a physics event in 2022-23 if everyone else already has 1 year of experience?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pb5754 wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:01 pm I'm kinda surprised they decided to change all 3 physics events at once. Wouldn't it be difficult for a 6th grader/freshman to pick up a physics event in 2022-23 if everyone else already has 1 year of experience?
Probably, although it depends on the teams. It's always harder for a new team member to pick up an event half way through its rotation - it's just happening to all the physics events in 22-23. But really, teams start the process by deciding who to place on an event in the first year. If teams put seniors / 8th graders on a new event this year, they need to find a replacement next year. If teams only put kids who are intending to return on new events, they don't have the replacement problem.

You're right that this might mean that there isn't an opportunity for some kids to start a physics event in 22-23, but once you factor in various internal team factors, I'm not sure it makes that much difference. (And look at the events. Crave the Wave / Sounds / WiFi lab have a lot of solid basic physics - it's all good, useful, core stuff to learn, rather than some esoteric corner. It's about time is a bit obscure - that's probably going to be harder to pick up in the second year. The more obscure bits of Sounds are the music theory bits, but if you have a new kid who is a musician with some theory training, they're probably useful even if it's the second year. And for new High School kids, there's a fair amount of carry-over from the B division physics events.

I'm pretty excited about Storm the Castle / Trajectory though, 'cause siege weapon events are just fun, and it'll be nice to have some fun builds when we're able to do things in person. It'll make a nice contrast to this test-only year to have a build-heavy year or two.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
Unome (April 11th, 2021, 9:01 pm)
aakoala
State: MI

Post by aakoala »

I just realized Division B has 7 build events! Is it normal to have almost 1/3 of the events building or no?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by jgrischow1 »

aakoala wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:57 pm I just realized Division B has 7 build events! Is it normal to have almost 1/3 of the events building or no?
Sounds and Storm the Castle are considered Physics events and PPP is considered an Inquiry event, I think. There are always the 4 tech/eng events (usually 1 vehicle, 1 flying, 1 structure, and 1 "contraption".)
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

aakoala wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:57 pm I just realized Division B has 7 build events! Is it normal to have almost 1/3 of the events building or no?
You can see past event rotations at https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Past_Event_Rotations

Let's go back ten years, and you'll see, in 2012, the B build events were Bottle Rocket, Towers, Storm the Castle, Mission Possible, and Mousetrap Vehicle. Keep the Heat and Awesone Aquifers had a substantial build component; Water Quality and Food Science had a small build component.

That's not so different from 2022.

Or go back five years, when some of the current C competitors were competing in B. In 2017, builds were Wright Stuff, Towers, Bottle Rocket, Mission Possible and Scrambler, Hovercraft and Wind Power had a substantial build component, Food Science had a small build component.

Compare 2022, where you have Bridges, Mission Possible, Mousetrap Vehicle, Ping Pong Parachute, Storm the Castle, and Electric Wright Stuff as pure builds, Sounds of Music as a half build, and Water Quality with a small build component.

That's half an event more building than five or ten years before. That's not so different.

Return to “General Competition”