2011-2012 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2011-2012 Events

Post by chalker7 » May 30th, 2011, 11:43 am

Infinity Flat wrote: Why can't division C have fun names? :(
Division B gets "Reach for the Stars." We get "Astronomy."
It's just not fair
It is to make division C sound like a more professional/serious science competition and so you can utilize your participation on college/scholarship/job applications. There was a specific instance several years ago related to Reach for the Stars/Astronomy. I may be slightly off on the details, but essentially a student was interviewing for an elite university and mentioned how he was a national medalist in "Reach for the Stars." The interviewing committee assumed that this was not a particularly big accomplishment based off of the name, told him as much and he couldn't take advantage of his success.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director

sciolyswizzle16
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciolyswizzle16 » May 30th, 2011, 12:06 pm

chalker wrote:
sciolyswizzle16 wrote: If its merely the topic, why did its name change? And what aspects of the actual Water Quality event from years past is staying?
It isn't final what the name will be (i.e. could be Ecology or could be Water Quality). Regardless, we change names up all the time for various reasons small and large. For example, Keep the Heat is going to be called Thermodynamics Lab for Division C next year. It's virtually the same rules as the division B version of the event, which will be called Keep the Heat.
Regardless of the name change, is Water Quality slated to include the aforementioned things, like macroinverts, salinometers and water treatment?
Events for 2011-2012
Forestry (2nd at regionals) (1st at states)
Chem Lab (1st at regionals) (6th at states)
Towers (8th at regionals) (10th at states)
Team (1st at regionals) (3rd at states)

Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat » May 30th, 2011, 12:27 pm

chalker7 wrote:
It's just not fair
It is to make division C sound like a more professional/serious science competition and so you can utilize your participation on college/scholarship/job applications. There was a specific instance several years ago related to Reach for the Stars/Astronomy. I may be slightly off on the details, but essentially a student was interviewing for an elite university and mentioned how he was a national medalist in "Reach for the Stars." The interviewing committee assumed that this was not a particularly big accomplishment based off of the name, told him as much and he couldn't take advantage of his success.
Ah, that makes sense. Still, it's kinda disappointing to me that the "real world" has to come and ruin everything lighthearted and fun.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo » May 30th, 2011, 2:45 pm

chalker7 wrote:
It's just not fair
I think that the same issue is still present with the name "Disease Detectives." On résumés, I always feel that an explanation is necessary to clarify that the event is, in essence, Epidemiology. "Disease Detectives" is undoubtedly a more fun name than "Epidemiology," but I fear that it causes the event to sound less serious.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel » May 30th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Luo wrote:
chalker7 wrote:
It's just not fair
I think that the same issue is still present with the name "Disease Detectives." On résumés, I always feel that an explanation is necessary to clarify that the event is, in essence, Epidemiology. "Disease Detectives" is undoubtedly a more fun name than "Epidemiology," but I fear that it causes the event to sound less serious.
I agree...I like events with actual scientific names far more than made up, fun names. This problem also exists in Microbe Mission – whenever tell someone what events I do (who doesn't know about SO), I always call it microbiology to avoid confusion. I cringe at the thought of explaining this on a resume – it almost makes me less motivated to do well in the event.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex » May 30th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Come on, would you rather say to your friends "I placed in Science Crime Busters!" or "I placed in Forensics!"
One sounds legit, the other makes science olympiad look not as intelligent....
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

salcedam
State: IL

Post by salcedam » May 30th, 2011, 8:03 pm

But the point of Science Olympiad is also to make science fun so maybe giving it a more "fun" name makes it seem more appealing to learn and do. I guess what it comes down to is having a balance between fun and seriousness.
2011 - 2012 Season Results:
Whiting, IN - Astro (1st), 4N6 (2nd), Fermi (2nd)
Boyceville, WI - Astro (3rd), 4N6 (1st)
Belvidere, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (2nd)
WSU, OH - 4N6 (12th)
Loyola, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st), TPS (3rd)
OCC Regional - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st)
UCF Nationals - 4N6 (8th)

Atarah

Post by Atarah » May 30th, 2011, 9:41 pm

I agree with Chalker on this one. Having been one of those students who relied heavily on my SO credentials in the college application process, I did find that being able to talk about events like Ornithology and Protein Modeling a lot easier than Mission Possible or Write It Do It. Knowing that SO is starting to be recognized by colleges as a serious competition, I think the National Supervisors have a strong incentive to transition towards more professional sounding names for events. It's a pretty small change that wouldn't detract from the "fun aspect" of Science Olympiad that has made it so popular in the first place. At the very least, puns and pop culture references should try to be avoided, haha.
Proudly Retired from SO.

salcedam
State: IL

Post by salcedam » May 30th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Atarah wrote:I agree with Chalker on this one. Having been one of those students who relied heavily on my SO credentials in the college application process, I did find that being able to talk about events like Ornithology and Protein Modeling a lot easier than Mission Possible or Write It Do It. Knowing that SO is starting to be recognized by colleges as a serious competition, I think the National Supervisors have a strong incentive to transition towards more professional sounding names for events. It's a pretty small change that wouldn't detract from the "fun aspect" of Science Olympiad that has made it so popular in the first place. At the very least, puns and pop culture references should try to be avoided, haha.
Although I think that some event names would be difficult to change such as one you mentioned: Mission Possible. What type of serious name can you come up with that? Rube Goldberg Machine Making? That would be a bit awkward. But yes, serious names are definitely needed so as to make it seem like whatever event you are talking about is one that requires serious thinking and hard work.
2011 - 2012 Season Results:
Whiting, IN - Astro (1st), 4N6 (2nd), Fermi (2nd)
Boyceville, WI - Astro (3rd), 4N6 (1st)
Belvidere, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (2nd)
WSU, OH - 4N6 (12th)
Loyola, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st), TPS (3rd)
OCC Regional - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st)
UCF Nationals - 4N6 (8th)

Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat » May 30th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Atarah wrote:I agree with Chalker on this one. Having been one of those students who relied heavily on my SO credentials in the college application process, I did find that being able to talk about events like Ornithology and Protein Modeling a lot easier than Mission Possible or Write It Do It. Knowing that SO is starting to be recognized by colleges as a serious competition, I think the National Supervisors have a strong incentive to transition towards more professional sounding names for events. It's a pretty small change that wouldn't detract from the "fun aspect" of Science Olympiad that has made it so popular in the first place. At the very least, puns and pop culture references should try to be avoided, haha.
Alright, you guys win. :P
I'm a sophomore, so I haven't really had the pleasure of writing college applications and the like, so I hadn't really considered that.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “General Competition”