How does your school do tryouts for the competition team?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How does your school do tryouts for the competition team?

Post by thewinner » April 6th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Just asking.
I win.

starshine
State: NY

Re: How does your school do tryouts for the competition team

Post by starshine » April 6th, 2011, 6:56 pm

The coach chooses. It usually depends on events, participation, and dedication. After that, sometimes we have "test-offs", but that's rare. Also, past experience really helps.
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO

Post by hscmom » April 7th, 2011, 8:32 am

In all honesty we take anyone with a pulse.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 » April 7th, 2011, 8:35 am

hscmom wrote:In all honesty we take anyone with a pulse.
Us too! xD
Really the only person on the whole team who's science-obsessed is me. One other girl is interested, but the rest of the team is made up of my friends who are not really nerds or "science people" at all.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

thewinner
State: NJ

Post by thewinner » April 7th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Really? In our school SO is a club which you have to take a test to just get into. Around 60 people are in at any given time. Then, we have tryouts for each event to see who is the best at what, but in the end it's all the coaches decisions.
For me, SO is pretty competitive even before the actual competitions.
I win.

lolliexdd
State: PA

Post by lolliexdd » April 7th, 2011, 2:12 pm

For us it's mostly seniority and sometimes there are test offs but not often. I think there was only one or 2 this year.

The jr high team makes you take a test before you get in though, and then the coaches decide the rest, and a few test offs.
Stroudsburg HS Science Olympiad Graduate!
SUNY- College of Environmental Science and Forestry '17

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly » April 7th, 2011, 2:58 pm

In junior high, our coach was obsessed with precision, so there were ten tryouts. In each, the person who scored highest got a 25, the next highest got a 24, and so on. If you were worse than 25th, you automatically got a 1. After ten tryout events, the 15 who got the highest scores were on the team, and the next 15 were JV. The events were a mix of all types, for example, one year we had anatomy, meteorology, towers, measure this, rocks and minerals, WIDI, astronomy, bio process lab, ecology, and some other building event. usually two building, and a mix of lab and study were included, but WIDI, ecology, and anatomy were always on there, as was whatever balsa event there was (towers, wright, etc.). Events were done individually, which was challenging, but ID events were avoided. Usually a teacher that taught in the subject wrote the test, and the tests were usually better than the regional tests, so they were challenging. Also, 8th graders weren't allowed on JV. On varsity, events were chosen by people. He would go down the list and assign each person a number of events, with the top two or three getting five events, the next four getting four, and so on, until all 46 event spots were given. Then, whoever ranked first picked an event, then the 2nd picked one, and so forth until the bottom of the list was reached. Then everyone would pick a second event, in ranking order. after that, choices started at the top but the people assigned only two events, usually the lowest five people, didn't pick another. Then it would start again at the top, and those who were allotted four or more events picked a fourth. finally, the people getting five picked out of what was left. This worked well, because the good kids got what they wanted, but also had to take responsibility for the events people didn't really want. But then, the system fell apart my last year with div. B. He told me (1st) to just pick my five events, then 2nd picked their five, then 3rd picked their 4, and so on. This was good for me, but not so good for the team, because then not so good people were left with the deject events that no one wanted, like pentathlon and oceanography. So they didn't study, which wasn't too good. This whole system was in place because some 50 kids tried out, though in reality, it was more like 45 who actually came.

In High school, the system is much more mysterious. We take three tryouts, in the three areas of general science, and they place us on the team based on that, and an application on our credentials, including previous events, awards, classes, grades, etc. There are tryouts for events, but you only do the ones for events you want, and from what I see, the have little bearing on what you get anyway. People are taken up based on who was on the team last year, and how many people graduated, leaving spots to fill.

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat » April 7th, 2011, 8:11 pm

To the people whose teams use a tryout system: are you expected to be competent at all of the events to get on the team? I can do well with study and lab events for physical sceinces, but I try to stay 10 miles away from balsa events and only timidly approach other building and life science events. It just sounds to me like it could end up weeding out people who have the potentially to do very well on a few events (ie good at math and physical science events, but not very good with building and biology events like me.)

lllazar
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....

Post by lllazar » April 7th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Ya i actually tried to implement this for our team (my coach is a bit too laid back and does't really have "tryouts), but it failed. So essentially our team is based off seniority...and past experience. But really, i'm the only one on our team who truly has a love affair with science....but kjhs, that middle school system sounds awesome.

In order to have test offs, we need tests, and there aren't enough (and in some cases there aren't any) tests online for the events, and we only have 2 teachers coaching...neither of which are capable of writing tests for any of the events that would actually reflect the difficulty of competition.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 » April 9th, 2011, 7:59 am

in middle school we have an SO class and we have about 40 7th graders, 20 8th graders, and a few 9th graders. we get to choose whatever events we want to do, although in 7th grade we are limited to 1 building event and 3 total events. a couple of weeks before the invitational we get tests for the lab and study events (coach usually knows who is best at building events). from this they make out the two teams for invitationals. after invitationals the people who didn't get to go to invitationals take the invitational tests for their events, and then they come out with the competitive team for regionals and the three non-scoring teams. only a few people (mostly 7th graders who goofed off during class) don't get to go to regionals. after regionals there is usually a slight change (2-3 people) in the competive team if someone did really well on the non-scoring team
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Competition”