Why do you love Science Olympiad?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
User avatar
VeritasEnVida
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: October 18th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by VeritasEnVida » October 22nd, 2011, 8:56 am

I assume that's why you're on here, anyways talk about why you love science olympiad. For me it's because its a gathering of people who are good at science and love what they do, it's a gathering of knowledge and passion.
Year: Event (state, nats); alternate/team (state, nats)
'11: Microbe (1, 17), Protein (2, 22), Experimental (3, --), Helicopters (11, 15), Mission(--,22), Wind Power (--, 20); team (1, 15)
'12: Microbe Mission (1), Protein Modeling (1), Helicopters (1), Chemistry Lab(10); team (1)

Lukesky180
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 2:10 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Location: Houston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by Lukesky180 » November 17th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Because my teacher recommended me (dragged me) into it.
Please visit the Harmony School of Excellence - Endeavor's Robotics Website!
http://endeavorrobotics.weebly.com

silverheart7
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Eastern Long Island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by silverheart7 » November 18th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Because I get to work with a lot of my friends, make new friends, watch my hilarious teamates (who are still pretty awesome, don't get me wrong) and cultivate my interests. :D :D :D
Last edited by silverheart7 on November 20th, 2011, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Orchdork
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: January 19th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: I'm trying to figure that out
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by Orchdork » November 20th, 2011, 7:49 am

because i get do lots of cool experiments, learn really cool things, and make tons of memories (things exploding, spazzing before tournaments, burning popcorn (don't ask >_<), and just having fun with friends) :D
Events (that I'm coaching)
Water Quality

kateak
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: November 10th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by kateak » November 28th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Because I love science and you get to learn a lot of cool stuff and have fun while your doing it.

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 927
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 9:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by gneissisnice » November 29th, 2011, 9:01 am

Because I love science and I'm also really competitive, and this was a fantastic way to combine both of them.

I also made a ton of friends and the stuff I learned in Scio is far more valuable to me in college than anything I learned in class. Rocks and Minerals, for example, trivialized the first half of my upper division Mineralogy class, while all the older kids in the class didn't know nearly as much as I did.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » November 29th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Orchdork wrote:because i get do lots of cool experiments, learn really cool things, and make tons of memories (things exploding, spazzing before tournaments, burning popcorn (don't ask >_<), and just having fun with friends) :D
hmph, it's not my fault I accidentally set the timer for 5 minutes

oh, and because I can find a way to make my interests useful. Also, it's a nice, friendly competition and it's great because you and your team really get to bond over the course of the Science Olympiad season :D
peter, peter, peter

silverheart7
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Eastern Long Island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by silverheart7 » November 29th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Also, I'm not the only nerd! Hopefully! :D I got a 75 on the nerd test!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Orchdork
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: January 19th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Location: I'm trying to figure that out
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by Orchdork » November 29th, 2011, 5:24 pm

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:
Orchdork wrote:because i get do lots of cool experiments, learn really cool things, and make tons of memories (things exploding, spazzing before tournaments, burning popcorn (don't ask >_<), and just having fun with friends) :D
hmph, it's not my fault I accidentally set the timer for 5 minutes

oh, and because I can find a way to make my interests useful. Also, it's a nice, friendly competition and it's great because you and your team really get to bond over the course of the Science Olympiad season :D
u were so gullible! isnt it common sense not to put popcorn in the microwave for more than like 2.5 min. ? but its ok we need moments like that to make memories :)
Events (that I'm coaching)
Water Quality

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you love Science Olympiad?

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » November 29th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Orchdork wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:
Orchdork wrote:because i get do lots of cool experiments, learn really cool things, and make tons of memories (things exploding, spazzing before tournaments, burning popcorn (don't ask >_<), and just having fun with friends) :D
hmph, it's not my fault I accidentally set the timer for 5 minutes

oh, and because I can find a way to make my interests useful. Also, it's a nice, friendly competition and it's great because you and your team really get to bond over the course of the Science Olympiad season :D
u were so gullible! isnt it common sense not to put popcorn in the microwave for more than like 2.5 min. ? but its ok we need moments like that to make memories :)
Hmph...well, glad to make another embarrassing memory :roll: :D :lol: ...and aren't I always the "mistake-maker" one? ;)
peter, peter, peter

Post Reply

Return to “General Competition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests