Science Olympiad 2012

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2012

Post by pjgscioisamazing » March 25th, 2012, 8:29 pm

For anyone confused by the schedule, the tentative listing of events is:

B Division- Anatomy (Digestive and New System- I think they're up to Nervous again), Disease, Forestry, Water Quality, Heredity, Dynamic (Glaciers), Rocks and Minerals, Road Scholar, Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (I believe Everyday Weather is up again), Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission, Helicopters, Boomilever, Food Sci, Crime, Keep the Heat, Sounds of Music, Shock Value, WIDI, Experimental, Metric Mastery, Helicopter Egg Drop

C Division- Anatomy (Digestive and New System- I think they're up to Nervous again), Disease, Forestry, Water Quality, Designer Genes, Dynamic (Glaciers), Rocks and Minerals, Remote Sensing (Possible switch to another aspect of environment?), Astronomy (Maybe new topic? They tend to switch every year), Gravity Vehicle, Robot Arm, Glider, Boomilever, Materials Science/Food Science, Forensics, Chem Lab, Thermo, MagLev, Circuit Lab, WIDI, Experimental, Fermi, Technical

Bolded are new events/ Thoughts on new topics/subject areas for certain events
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

LCovington
Division: C
State: FL

Post by LCovington » March 25th, 2012, 8:32 pm

pjgscioisamazing wrote:For anyone confused by the schedule, the tentative listing of events is:

B Division- Anatomy, Disease, Forestry, Water Quality Heredity, Dynamic (Glaciers), Rocks and Minerals, Road Scholar, Reach for the Stars, Meteorology, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission, Helicopters, Boomilever, Food Sci, Crime, Keep the Heat, Sounds of Music, Shock Value, WIDI, Experimental, Metric Mastery, Helicopter Egg Drop

C Division- Anatomy, Disease, Forestry, Water Quality, Designer Genes, Dynamic (Glaciers), Rocks and Minerals, Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Gravity Vehicle, Robot Arm, Glider, Boomilever, Materials Science/Food Science, Forensics, Chem Lab, Thermo, MagLev, Circuit Lab, WIDI, Experimental, Fermi, Technical
YAY! I'm HAPPEH
2013 Events: Anatomy B (4) and Disease Detectives B (5)

Yes, the guy in my avatar is me, don't ask.

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat » March 25th, 2012, 8:50 pm

From the national supervisors videos, it sounds like next year's astronomy topic will be the evolution of very massive stars.

LCovington
State: FL

Post by LCovington » March 25th, 2012, 9:00 pm

What exactly is Metric Mastery about? That is, if you know.
2013 Events: Anatomy B (4) and Disease Detectives B (5)

Yes, the guy in my avatar is me, don't ask.

pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing » March 25th, 2012, 9:02 pm

LCovington wrote:What exactly is Metric Mastery about?
There are two parts to the event:

1st) You are given objects and you have to estimate different properties (area, volume, length, weight/mass, angles, etc.) in Metric Units.

2nd) You measure those objects for those properties using tools given to you, and you must use significant figures or something.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro » March 25th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Schrodingerscat wrote:From the national supervisors videos, it sounds like next year's astronomy topic will be the evolution of very massive stars.
I can't remember where, but I am sure I saw that it would be stellar evolution and type II supernovae (so yea very massive stars). Next year's events seem alright (hm circuit lab, but aw no microbes).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty » March 26th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Does anyone know what boomilever is about?

And to any moderator, is it possible to change the nameof this topic to scioly 2012-2013?

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach » March 26th, 2012, 12:50 pm

twototwenty wrote:Does anyone know what boomilever is about?

And to any moderator, is it possible to change the nameof this topic to scioly 2012-2013?

Balsa building event in the same vein as towers/bridge http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/20 ... 7.Eg.1.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/ttorretti/Science/boomers.html
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

noobforce
State: NJ

Post by noobforce » March 26th, 2012, 1:11 pm

rfscoach wrote: Replaced by Metric Mastery.
Do you know what that is?

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Re: Science Olympiad 2013

Post by Luo » March 26th, 2012, 1:56 pm

noobforce wrote:
rfscoach wrote: Replaced by Metric Mastery.
Do you know what that is?
It was run in some states as a trial event this year, so you can see the rules they used:
North Carolina Metric Mastery Trial Event Rules: http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/rul ... Crules.pdf
North Carolina Metric Mastery Trial Event Example Test: http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/exa ... 20Test.pdf
Virginia Metric Mastery Trial Event Rules: http://www.virginiaso.com/files/2011_20 ... vMar18.pdf

There is also a Wiki page on Metric Mastery, albeit a pretty bare-bones one: http://scioly.org/wiki/Metric_Mastery

Disclaimer: the national event rules next year will probably be different from these trial event rules, so some aspects of these rule pages may not be applicable next year.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Return to “General Competition”