Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

Postby geminicross » April 4th, 2013, 10:57 am

"Torque Team" (lol, if you get the reference)

A General Event about the laws of physics.
The test would mainly consist of a testing portion (80% or 100%) and a possible construction of a model/models (20% or Nonexistent)

mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Postby mrburrito » April 4th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Balsaphere

A structure building event where teams make a spherical object with a diameter of up to 10cm. The goal is like boomilever, hold as much as possible with weighing as little as possible. The loading block would be on the inside of the sphere.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

justsomedudenamedted
State: SD

Postby justsomedudenamedted » April 5th, 2013, 4:49 pm

"Orbital Amazing" (Yes, its cheesy. But its all I could think of)

This event focus on all the stuff that Reach doesn't cover. Mostly orbits and other astrodynamics (Or something not involving memorizing conseleations). It would be seprated into a writen test, and a " moon flight" useing a game (that I found on the internet), where teams would have to try to make a moon flight using one of a mulitude of prebuilt rockets, and try to land on the moon. the test would count for 60% and the simulation would count for 40%.
Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping, Dynamic Planet

3-time Nats participant.

I told you it was 75%, but noooooo

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » April 5th, 2013, 5:07 pm

"Orbital Amazing" (Yes, its cheesy. But its all I could think of)

This event focus on all the stuff that Reach doesn't cover. Mostly orbits and other astrodynamics (Or something not involving memorizing conseleations). It would be seprated into a writen test, and a " moon flight" useing a game (that I found on the internet), where teams would have to try to make a moon flight using one of a mulitude of prebuilt rockets, and try to land on the moon. the test would count for 60% and the simulation would count for 40%.
I feel like this could be changed around a bit. Mostly because I don't really know how challenging the moon flight game would be (but that is definitely a fine concept to work into an event...unless you meant building it). I just figure the orbital questions to already be included in Solar Systems especially. But maybe I guess I could see another Div B event focusing on a part of astronomy not already there.

Though, Solar Systems and the tests I get for astronomy in NYS have always made me wonder about science history tests/other info in astronomy (in NYS Astro States normally they ask some more current events or history questions that aren't exactly relevant, but more test overall knowledge). But I guess I do see the idea of an astro build to be interesting...perhaps hard, but interesting.

I guess other than that I do admit that covering the modern topics of nuclear, time, quantum, etc also seems interesting and were mentioned (and other lab ideas were mentioned using other areas of physics). I would say a nanotech or other more modern sciences, but I could see that being asked about in MatSci. I guess a Div C Meteorology event would be...interesting. I guess a random event I could come up with would be something about scientific instruments (there are so many, and I find the ways we have figured out how to take data nowadays to be really interesting). That said, I would say the event organizers have done a good job so far with coming up with pretty awesome events already.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby ScienceOlympian » April 14th, 2013, 10:06 pm

History of Science

The event would be about Pangaea and the dinosaurs, and maybe evolution?
Like Charles Darwin, Paleozoic Era, Devonian Period, Mammoths, Early Humans
Every two years they would switch Eras, like Paleozoic, Precambrian, Mesozoic, or Cenozoic.
Also students would learn species of plants and animals from each era.
They would have to provide a brief summary of each period in the era.
Maybe not evolution.
But the eras and wildlife seem pretty good. Any thoughts?
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby balsa » April 18th, 2013, 3:45 am

make codes & algorithms an event :lol:
Troy HS Science Olympiad
2015 Events: Protein Modeling, Geologic Mapping, Entomology

Toms_42
State: PA

Postby Toms_42 » April 21st, 2013, 8:33 pm

Fifth the math event.
But on topic:
Fluids--One of those things with a hole in it and the water leaks out, part of the competition is to build one that makes the water go the correct distance. And a test :)
Interesting….
I can picture the event now.

Students bring a bucket or similar container with a hole (or holes) at the bottom.
A target container is set up some distance away and below the hole in the student’s bucket.
This distance can vary as competition increases. A set amount of water is provided to all teams (again this can vary from competition to competition or can be decided by the students). The team who “catches” the most water in the target container wins that part of the event.

Add a test portion on fluid dynamics and you have an event
:D I second the fluid dynamics idea! Perfect for scioly!

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby ScienceOlympian » April 27th, 2013, 8:08 pm

A botany event.
No ID.
Basically sporophytes, gametophytes, etc...
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology

isaysroar
State: PA

Postby isaysroar » May 3rd, 2013, 7:16 pm

I know this is not about particular new ideas but just bringing the notion to ya! They should have a fun invitational just for the old events to test people's remaining knowledge or skills for that event! I know I would go to that. It could have stuff like Towers, Bottle Rockets, Optics, Junk Yard Challenge, and etc.
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby ScienceOlympian » May 4th, 2013, 10:08 pm

I know this is not about particular new ideas but just bringing the notion to ya! They should have a fun invitational just for the old events to test people's remaining knowledge or skills for that event! I know I would go to that. It could have stuff like Towers, Bottle Rockets, Optics, Junk Yard Challenge, and etc.
I like this idea.
I would love to do Optics, Physical Sci. Lab, Crave the Wave (got to love waves) and BioProcess Lab.

Return to “General Competition”