Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

Postby geminicross » April 17th, 2012, 3:33 pm

An ultimate event with 5 people from each team in which questions from ALL the events can be asked. It would be run after all the other events, and spectators would be allowed. All teams will participate at the same time and scores would be broadcasted after each question. I'm not explaining it well, but I know they had something like this in the A Div. science olympiad.
Even if the event is run last, The "problem" with having running scores is that, teams already know who is getting medals before the ceremony even begins.

Scientific Society
Questions will be displayed on a projector, using signalling devices; teams will have 20 seconds to converse and enter in their answers. For each correct answer they will earn points for each incorrect answer they will lose points.

hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO

Postby hscmom » April 19th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Today, another mom (homeschool team) and I were talking and said it would be fun if the coaches could compete in some of the events. Not that we want to build vehicles, but after helping middle schoolers learn about microbes, rocks, aquifers, optics, or whatever, we're ready to go in there too. The high schoolers tend to figure out things on their own a lot more, but for middle schoolers we often have to figure it out ourselves and demonstrate/teach it... I'm ready to walk into Dynamic Planet, Aquifer (test only), and Microbes. It would be neat if they could let us take the tests and add us into the rankings! Ha ha...

Of course, that's not what the question is asking. I'd like to see impromptu computer programming. They walk in, see a problem on the board, and write the code for it. Tie-breaker would be good coding style and comments.

I miss Picture This. I wish it would come back and Mystery Architecture was fun too. How about Science Word?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Cedavis6

Postby Cedavis6 » May 11th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Genetics. That is awesome. We would win that event if I were on that team.

M-E-T-H-O-D MAN
State: ME

Postby M-E-T-H-O-D MAN » May 12th, 2012, 5:49 am

Genetics. That is awesome. We would win that event if I were on that team.
Modesty. You would lose that event if you were on that team.

Because I would win.
From the slums of Shaolin, Wu-Tang Clan strikes again
The RZA, the GZA, Ol Dirty B*****d, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon the Chef
U-God, Ghost Face Killer and the Method Man

Cedavis6

Postby Cedavis6 » May 12th, 2012, 5:51 am

Oh really now?
Hm... There should be a rollercoaster build event.

sciolyperson
State: CA

Postby sciolyperson » May 12th, 2012, 3:00 pm

I would own that one.
The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is 42.

The ultimate question itself is unknown. Can anyone actually read this?

sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby sciencegeek999 » May 19th, 2012, 11:53 am

An essay one on any current science olympiad event as your topic, very broad, and timed

fr00tl00p
State: UT

Postby fr00tl00p » May 22nd, 2012, 7:59 pm

I'd love to see a pure programming event. Like, sit down each kid with a C++ compiler and give him some problem, fastest most elegant solution wins. For example, you could provide a .csv with a list of 10000 names, emails, phone numbers, etc. in a random order, and you would have to write a program that would read this file and output the file with the entries in a specific organization. The team's program that completes it the fastest would win.

iYOA
State: NJ

Postby iYOA » May 22nd, 2012, 8:41 pm

I wish there was a purely math event, not just Technical Problem Solving and Fermi Questions.
Seconded
Thirded

actually, if you feel really strongly about an event, you could write up the sample rules and submit it because they like reading about event ideas and they may consider it for a trial event.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

Gearbox
State: PA

Postby Gearbox » May 23rd, 2012, 5:37 pm

I would really love to see an event dedicated to Virology, i know microbes was sort of like that, but it also had to do a great about protists and such. something that has viral identification, antigen identification, knowledge about the different types of nucleic acid, and the different types of proteins that viruses use to get into the host cell, take it over, and make more copies of itself. I don't know, just an idea
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

Return to “General Competition”