Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Re: Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

Postby knittingfrenzy18 » May 24th, 2012, 3:15 pm

I want Bird Brain which is like Ornithology. Because it sucks bad that they don't have a bird event for Div B. Now I have to wait forever until I get into Div C and possibly another year or two if it's not in rotation.

Ooh fr00tl00p! Sounds good! Except Python might be better because I don't know C++. Not that I can't learn it. I personally like PHP better.

However I don't know how that relates to science. Maybe efficiency? But that's another of those things that's hard to judge.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

Cedavis6
Division: Grad

Postby Cedavis6 » May 25th, 2012, 8:45 am

I wish there was a purely math event, not just Technical Problem Solving and Fermi Questions.
Seconded
Thirded

actually, if you feel really strongly about an event, you could write up the sample rules and submit it because they like reading about event ideas and they may consider it for a trial event.
FOURTHED!!!!!
I can't think of any other event ideas.

space scientist
Division: C
State: TX

Postby space scientist » May 25th, 2012, 2:02 pm

There is actually a pure math, trial event in Texas called We've Got Your Number. In the event two partners are given two sets of four digits, and they have to create as many equations for numbers 1 to 100 as they can, using all of the numbers in the set and the allowed operators (Division B: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation (non negative exponents only), and combining the digits to form a multi-digit number (like combining 4 and 5 to make 45), Division C: same as division b except you can also use logarithms and factorials).
"The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." John Lawton
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it." William Arthur Ward

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » May 26th, 2012, 7:52 am

There is actually a pure math, trial event in Texas called We've Got Your Number. In the event two partners are given two sets of four digits, and they have to create as many equations for numbers 1 to 100 as they can, using all of the numbers in the set and the allowed operators (Division B: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation (non negative exponents only), and combining the digits to form a multi-digit number (like combining 4 and 5 to make 45), Division C: same as division b except you can also use logarithms and factorials).
That was a national trial event one year. I didn't do it at that tournament, but I did some practice ones just for the heck of it, I actually liked it a lot (and I'm not even a big math fan). It's a shame that is hasn't become a real event, it was pretty interesting. I imagine that it would be tough to grade though, since there are likely to be a lot of ties.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

tangentline
State: CA

Postby tangentline » March 5th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Fifth the math event.
But on topic:
Fluids--One of those things with a hole in it and the water leaks out, part of the competition is to build one that makes the water go the correct distance. And a test :)

Bozongle
State: IN

Postby Bozongle » March 6th, 2013, 6:02 am

Some sort of metallurgy event. I could get all the information I need from my dad :p.

mrcoolwhip
State: NC

Postby mrcoolwhip » March 6th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Comuter Science. Satisfy all of us Computer Geeks. Lol
Events: Expermental Design and Heredity
Go UK!! :D
I love Science and Jesus <3 Go Olympians!

wlsguy
State: OH

Postby wlsguy » March 6th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Fifth the math event.
But on topic:
Fluids--One of those things with a hole in it and the water leaks out, part of the competition is to build one that makes the water go the correct distance. And a test :)
Interesting….
I can picture the event now.

Students bring a bucket or similar container with a hole (or holes) at the bottom.
A target container is set up some distance away and below the hole in the student’s bucket.
This distance can vary as competition increases. A set amount of water is provided to all teams (again this can vary from competition to competition or can be decided by the students). The team who “catches” the most water in the target container wins that part of the event.

Add a test portion on fluid dynamics and you have an event

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby ScienceOlympian » March 17th, 2013, 9:08 am

History of Science

The event would be about Pangaea and the dinosaurs, and maybe evolution?
Like Charles Darwin, Paleozoic Era, Devonian Period, Mammoths, Early Humans
Every two years they would switch Eras, like Paleozoic, Precambrian, Mesozoic, or Cenozoic.
Also students would learn species of plants and animals from each era.
They would have to provide a brief summary of each period in the era.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

isaysroar
State: PA

Postby isaysroar » March 17th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Shoebox Glider? :|
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

Return to “General Competition”