SciOly Traditions

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Mr Sarcastic
Division: C
State: TN

SciOly Traditions

Postby Mr Sarcastic » May 5th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Here is a thread to share any traditions your school might have for Science Olympiad.

At the school that I moved away from, but now moving back to, we have one that we always do at the end of the bus ride home from competitions. It's late at night, I'm talking 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning for some invitationals (we go a long way for invitationals). And then boom! The Circle of Life song from the Lion King starts playing REALLY loud. And not to mention, everyone who is awake starts singing, but some also scream the song.

Now this wakes up most people, but I guess not me. On my first ever SO trip, I fell asleep on the way back. The song started playing, and I didn't wake up; not even the rest of the screaming people on the bus could. They even shook my arm. I was out cold. Eventually they plugged my nose and I woke up. I've never fallen asleep on the bus since then.
Events: Meteorology, Forestry, Keep the Heat, Shock Value, Mission Possible, Heredity, Anatomy, Metric Mastery

2013 Medals/Ribbons:
Anatomy- 2nd
Forestry- 2nd
Heredity- 6th, 1st
Meteorology- 3rd, 1st
Metrics- 4th
Keep the Heat- 7th, 1st
Shock- 7th

"We're back, Jack!"

tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad

Re: SciOly Traditions

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » May 6th, 2012, 11:04 am

Not really a tradition, but we've noticed that every time it precipitates, we do good at competitions :P
peter, peter, peter

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: MI

Postby John Richardsim » July 31st, 2014, 7:57 pm

One old tradition of my team is to see how many people can fit into a charter bus bathroom. Apparently people were doing it on the way back from state, and I didn't even notice.

Another newer tradition (well, we've only done it one year) is if and when we go to nationals, 5-6 people get together and have a 'party' in a specific person's room (e.g., next year it will be in Trent's room) after competition and before the awards ceremony. This year, Frank taped a little strobe light thingy that he got at trading to the ceiling fan (don't worry, he taped it well), Travis had his light up hat that he got at trading, and we stole Maiya's portable speakers. Next year I hope to do even better.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby iwonder » August 1st, 2014, 6:40 pm

My school had an orange hat that they wore in the Parade of States way back in like 96-06, so we've got an orange hat guy who wears it to each contest we go to (mostly during awards). It's an absolutely huge foam hat with Texas on the side. It seems to get handed down year after year. This year a kid from robotman's school got a giant sombrero and the two would have dance battles at contests every so often. If you're in the Houston area or went to Texas states you probably saw him (C div).
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » August 3rd, 2014, 11:30 am

I actually don't know of any traditions on our team.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

A Person
State: KY

Postby A Person » August 9th, 2014, 1:19 pm

We eat at Steak and Shake for important competitions.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

GoofyFoofer
State: CA

Postby GoofyFoofer » August 10th, 2014, 9:59 pm

My teams tradition is to get medals...
:P
Alumnus: Hermosa Valley School, California. Go Dolphins!!!
California Academy of Math and Science. Go Rebels!!!
Medal Count: 10
Wind Power, Ecology, Remote Sensing (why)
:D nuk nuk nuk 我喜歡科學

samlan16
State: TN

Postby samlan16 » January 12th, 2015, 5:36 pm

My B division team had a tradition of going to Golden Corral after every major or out-of-state tournament, and we would also make up some bad inside joke at each. It was fun and all, but...

My C division team is too stoic for such heresy!
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » January 14th, 2015, 2:36 pm

At regionals there is a metal statue of the school's mascot, and my team's tradition is every year to go touch it (or ride it in the case of most of us) and take pictures. I'm not exactly sure where the tradition came from, but it's fun. Another regionals tradition is after awards we go back to school and have a big party. We call it the win or lose party because it doesn't matter how we did as long as we had fun (at least in my coaches eyes that's how it is....). That is always really fun and everyone has a blast. Now that I think of it we actually have a lot of traditions.............
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 14th, 2015, 2:45 pm

My B division team had a tradition of going to Golden Corral after every major or out-of-state tournament, and we would also make up some bad inside joke at each. It was fun and all, but...

My C division team is too stoic for such heresy!
Golden Corral would have been nice after Friendship Christian, but unfortunately it was past midnight.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Competition”