Starting a new SO team

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

Re: Starting a new SO team

Post by Luo » December 7th, 2012, 4:30 pm

ThePrudentGuava wrote:thanks!

edit- how much do the materials, manuals, etc. cost? (typically)
Rule manuals are included with team registration, which costs $100 in Oklahoma. Since Oklahoma doesn't run Robot Arm (which can itself cost $100 or more), your team should probably be able to get all the materials it needs for a few hundred dollars.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

ThePrudentGuava
Division: C
State: OK
Been thanked: 0

Post by ThePrudentGuava » December 7th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Luo wrote:
ThePrudentGuava wrote:thanks!

edit- how much do the materials, manuals, etc. cost? (typically)
Rule manuals are included with team registration, which costs $100 in Oklahoma. Since Oklahoma doesn't run Robot Arm (which can itself cost $100 or more), your team should probably be able to get all the materials it needs for a few hundred dollars.
We have a robotics team at our high school so that wouldn't be much of a problem.
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders

ThePrudentGuava

Post by ThePrudentGuava » December 7th, 2012, 9:38 pm

but in the future, in the EXTREME offchance that we make it to Nats, would we need to build one because that is one of the events?
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo » December 7th, 2012, 9:47 pm

ThePrudentGuava wrote:but in the future, in the EXTREME offchance that we make it to Nats, would we need to build one because that is one of the events?
Yeah, regardless of the events your state runs, all nationals teams compete in all 23 national events. Technically you don't NEED to compete in all events, but that would lead to a score of 61 for no-show, so it would be highly advisable to compete in all events at nationals.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

ThePrudentGuava

Post by ThePrudentGuava » December 7th, 2012, 9:55 pm

that's what I was thinking, but with my luck we would finish it weeks before and then someone would forget to put it on the bus or our bus would break it.
~Sam Anders

liutony66
State: TX

Post by liutony66 » December 8th, 2012, 1:16 pm

I've been trying to start up a team as a freshman, and it just doesn't seem to be working.

First and foremost, we have literally asked almost all the suitable science teachers in the school, and only one agreed to be our sponsor. And he hasn't responded to any of my emails, which only require a one word answer. Is this typically the case?

Additionally, it seems in high school there is some sort of extreme bias against all freshman - essentially, nobody seems to want to take us seriously, purely because we are freshman and freshman are deemed inferior. We are definitely have not taken as many advanced classes as upperclassmen, but does this mean that we don't work as hard? This may be the reason the teachers were so reluctant. Again, is this the case in most high schools?

Now, it's already December and our competition is in February. In middle school we had a team as 8th graders and we literally had teachers wanting to sponsor us. I understand that high school teachers are extremely busy, but many of yall obviously have good, dedicated, teacher sponsors.

Can anybody help me evaluate this situation?

PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover » December 8th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Try starting a team with all freshman. If you get a good group, you should be able to do well, and maybe convince upperclassmen to join next year.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink » December 8th, 2012, 2:59 pm

liutony66 wrote:I've been trying to start up a team as a freshman, and it just doesn't seem to be working.

First and foremost, we have literally asked almost all the suitable science teachers in the school, and only one agreed to be our sponsor. And he hasn't responded to any of my emails, which only require a one word answer. Is this typically the case?

Additionally, it seems in high school there is some sort of extreme bias against all freshman - essentially, nobody seems to want to take us seriously, purely because we are freshman and freshman are deemed inferior. We are definitely have not taken as many advanced classes as upperclassmen, but does this mean that we don't work as hard? This may be the reason the teachers were so reluctant. Again, is this the case in most high schools?

Now, it's already December and our competition is in February. In middle school we had a team as 8th graders and we literally had teachers wanting to sponsor us. I understand that high school teachers are extremely busy, but many of yall obviously have good, dedicated, teacher sponsors.

Can anybody help me evaluate this situation?
tony, quite a bit goes into starting a team and, then, running one, especially for new coaches. You're asking quite a bit of everyone. One thing you may want to know about high school teachers is that many of them are tied up by one of two things in addition to grading papers and preparing lessons outside of class, either A)they already coach athletics or advise another after school club or B)they have kids or a dog at home waiting for them. Do not take it personally if none of them have an interest in your activity; they'd likely say no to anything whether it was you and Science Olympiad or me and karate or philosophy club.

A few other things to note...first, you don't need a science teacher. You're best served that way due to their knowledge base, but it's not a requirement. Also, they are bombarded with e-mails. A face-to-face conversation would serve you better, especially if this person would eventually become your coach.

Freshmen have taken less advanced classes, yes, and that disadvantages you in C division. The teachers likely aren't thinking in these terms, but there's truth to it. You don't know as much as upperclassmen. That's okay. Regarding upcoming competition, my personal intuition is you won't accomplish much in the short time between returning from break and February. It goes without saying I don't know what the late team registration fee is (doesn't seem your state has one...good). That said, what happened to middle school? You couldn't have competed or coached an event back at your former team as an alternative?

Whatever happens, I wish you luck. My best advice to you is, if things don't turn out for you this time around, find anothere activity like SO or try again in the fall.

ThePrudentGuava

Post by ThePrudentGuava » December 8th, 2012, 6:58 pm

would a math teacher work if no science teacher can/wants to/ do it.

Edit- I have just now realized that Im like the only active user from OK & found out that there are only 2 division C teams, both from the same city mind you, in OK. At least thats what the tourny results say. :shock:
~Sam Anders

Return to “General Competition”