how to choose the competition team?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
alwaysphonehome
Division: C
State: IL

Re: how to choose the competition team?

Postby alwaysphonehome » May 22nd, 2013, 9:10 pm

Has anyone ever had to deal with the 7 seniors rule? Because we have 10 currently that have all been participating for the last few years and how would you choose who participates in varsity and who doesn't? One option would be to do it by skill, but since everyone has different events, that's not really a useful thing to do. As much as I hate to do it, is there a fair way to choose between people that would still be good for competition? Thoughts?
We had 11 this year :3... It's been pretty rough.. PM me or hmcginny (he's had to deal with it more, being the captain and stuff).
We basically did it based on how bad a event is, if we have underclassmen that although are slightly worse at the event but won't bomb it... then fine. So basically how can you minimize your bad events, so even though you might have the best forensics pair in the country (which I think we might have.. No offense to our Junior who filled in) We had to choose the best 7 seniors that would overall cover the most amount of events that if they we're not there would bomb.
Yeah, we've been hit hard by the 7 senior limit these past couple years and often times it seems to come down to versatility - even though we might have a senior who we'd expect to do better than an underclassman in an event or two, we choose the underclassman because he/she can be trusted to do several events reliably instead of one or two. It's really difficult to tell those seniors - often longtime, dedicated members - that they didn't make the team.
So it basically comes down to versatility and reliability, meaning it would be better to have more events covered at a decent score rather than just have like 2 events that they're spectacular in? I mean we still have until next year to finalize the team, but it's concerning that we'd have to cut people, especially because everyone seems to hold their weight. Do you guys think there's any other option besides the use of past events (especially as new events come in and old ones cycle out)?

kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby kentuckyfan1001 » May 22nd, 2013, 9:20 pm

So it basically comes down to versatility and reliability, meaning it would be better to have more events covered at a decent score rather than just have like 2 events that they're spectacular in? I mean we still have until next year to finalize the team, but it's concerning that we'd have to cut people, especially because everyone seems to hold their weight. Do you guys think there's any other option besides the use of past events (especially as new events come in and old ones cycle out)?
This is probably the most important thing to realize in choosing team members. This is a difficult sacrifice sometimes, but it needs to be done. It is always better for the team to get say 7th and 8th in two events than 1st and 20th, even though you get a nice shiny medal in only one of those two scenarios. But it's ultimately dependent on what your team's goal is - whether to place well as a team, or just do the best in individual events.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

paradoxgirl
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby paradoxgirl » May 23rd, 2013, 8:39 pm

Has anyone ever had to deal with the 7 seniors rule? Because we have 10 currently that have all been participating for the last few years and how would you choose who participates in varsity and who doesn't? One option would be to do it by skill, but since everyone has different events, that's not really a useful thing to do. As much as I hate to do it, is there a fair way to choose between people that would still be good for competition? Thoughts?
I usually don't post on the boards (I'm more of a lurker, to tell you the truth), but I felt I should give some input on this subject. As jdogg so eloquently stated, hmcginny and I spent a lot of time debating this problem over the past year. This is one of the most heart-wrenching problems that a team has to face, considering the dedication of the oldest members of a team, as well as the fact that these students will never again have the chance to compete. You definitely have my sympathy for being in this position.

The way our team chooses the competition 15 is quite simple. It is the job of our captains and head coach to put together the best competition team on any given day. This means building a schedule of team members from grades 9-12, competing in 1-6 events, having 1-7 years of Science Olympiad experience under their belts. It doesn't matter how long someone has been on the team, or whether a senior "deserves" it more: build the schedule that best represents your entire team on their best day. Working under this principle is the fairest way to make the difficult decisions that come along with the seven-senior rule.

There are a few things to keep in mind in your upcoming year: First, be as up-front as possible about the way that the competition team will be chosen. Let your seniors know at the beginning of the year that you will be choosing which seven will compete by <these> criteria, and will let them know by <this time> who will be on the competition team. Secondly, ensure that all of your seniors know that they have a place on your team, even if they aren't competing at a given tournament. Some of our seniors had been doing Olympiad for 7 years, and they were undeniably priceless in helping prepare our competitors throughout the year, even if they weren't competing themselves. Third, no matter what the outcome of your seven-senior predicament, remember to enjoy your last year in Science Olympiad. Don't burn any bridges, and don't let drama or intra-team competition bring you down.

Good luck!
Harriton High School Science Olympiad

Return to “General Competition”