Science Olympiad 2013-2014

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2013-2014

Post by ScienceOlympian » June 22nd, 2013, 8:40 am

Asteroidea wrote:. Also, just out of curiosity, who's idea was it to name an event "Cow-A-Bungee"....I'm not sure how the cow fits into the scheme of things.
I'm pretty sure that the event name "Cow--A-Bungee" is a pun for Cowabunga
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

Cedavis6
Division: Grad

Post by Cedavis6 » June 22nd, 2013, 11:56 am

Crap, we have Entomology? Ugh. I hate bugs. So much.

That's the only thing I won't miss next season.

Although I probably won't do SO next season, I'll stay on here and help with events and stuff. And play Scioly Assassination.

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian » June 22nd, 2013, 12:17 pm

Cedavis6 wrote:Crap, we have Entomology? Ugh. I hate bugs. So much.

Although I probably won't do SO next season, I'll stay on here and help with events and stuff. And play Scioly Assassination.
-Gasp- Not doing Science Olympiad next year is not an option.
It's like a crime! :O
Just kidding, but still.

NOTE THAT COMPLEX MACHINES'S NAME IS NOW COMPOUND MACHINES
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology

Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 » June 22nd, 2013, 3:38 pm

ScienceOlympian wrote:

-Gasp- Not doing Scioly next year is not an option.
Just kidding, but still.
Well, there probably won't be a team next year. And even so, I'll be busy with theatre.

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian » June 22nd, 2013, 8:55 pm

Cedavis6 wrote:
ScienceOlympian wrote:

-Gasp- Not doing Scioly next year is not an option.
Just kidding, but still.
Well, there probably won't be a team next year. And even so, I'll be busy with theatre.
:( I would hate it if my school didn't have a team.
Good luck with theatre.

TwelveSquared
State: KS

Post by TwelveSquared » June 23rd, 2013, 6:28 pm

So, for clarification purposes, tell me if I'm right here...
Geologic mapping is basically an event on Global Information System, with a focus on the analytical side of the idea, interpreting already collected data.
Because if that's the case... i would already have experience with the event's concepts, having been on a team that works with GIS for the county gov't (informally) for a couple years now.
Tonganoxie High School
Astronomy, Geologic Mapping, Robot Arm, Hydrogeology

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro » June 23rd, 2013, 7:19 pm

TwelveSquared wrote:So, for clarification purposes, tell me if I'm right here...
Geologic mapping is basically an event on Global Information System, with a focus on the analytical side of the idea, interpreting already collected data.
Because if that's the case... i would already have experience with the event's concepts, having been on a team that works with GIS for the county gov't (informally) for a couple years now.
What exactly is GIS? I've heard of it, and I'm not sure how it works. From what I've done with Geomaps. Imagine taking parts of Road Scholar, Dynamic Planet, Remote Sensing, etc. Then make something that's somewhat (eg. near completely) different.

It's closest to Road Scholar imo, but it's much more involved in the geologic aspect (taking into account ways people use geologic map in the military, in college with field/structural geology, and hobbyists use maps). Does that help?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

TwelveSquared
State: KS

Post by TwelveSquared » June 23rd, 2013, 8:14 pm

syo_astro wrote:
TwelveSquared wrote:So, for clarification purposes, tell me if I'm right here...
What exactly is GIS? I've heard of it, and I'm not sure how it works. From what I've done with Geomaps. Imagine taking parts of Road Scholar, Dynamic Planet, Remote Sensing, etc. Then make something that's somewhat (eg. near completely) different.

It's closest to Road Scholar imo, but it's much more involved in the geologic aspect (taking into account ways people use geologic map in the military, in college with i field/structural geology, and hobbyists use maps). Does that help?
I believe so. GIS (which is actually Geographic Information System, not global information system) is basically the gathering of data about the earth, then interpreting & projecting that data. From the NY trial rules and you, they do seem to be pretty similar, although Geomaps seems to put more emphasis on geologic structures, whereas, for example, a recent project the above-mentioned team took on was mapping out objects & markers along the Missouri River, then interpreting that data and presenting it to Emergency Management. Thanks for the clarification.
Although, i do believe my GIS experiences will help with Geomaps, particularly with map interpretation.
Mwah Hah...
Tonganoxie High School
Astronomy, Geologic Mapping, Robot Arm, Hydrogeology

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro » June 24th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Interesting, but the event can always throw in a few surprises, so main recommendation in the end is to study :P. I could explain more, but if you've already read the past rules, then you should get the gist. Not really sure how many people I know go "huh?" when I just bring up the mention of stereonets, strikes, dips, and random structures that come up >.<. But the rules I guess could have some change for next year, who knows!

Edit: Forgot to say the classic "this is not the place for clarifications" or something :P.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice » July 8th, 2013, 2:09 pm

As far as I know, it's more of a structural geology event. Things like stereonets, topo maps, strike/dip, etc. There's probably some GIS on it, but I think the focus is more on maps.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “General Competition”