Science Olympiad 2013-2014

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2013-2014

Post by Skink »

I'm working from really hazy memory here, but I think Robot Ramble is the one where my team wired a Dualshock (I thought this was neat) to a simple robot that went in an arena and had n minutes to move balls into holes in the corners of the arena somethingorother. I suspect they used a can or something to pick up the balls, that or some kind of claw mechanism. I can't remember. This was a long time ago.
Bozongle
Division: B
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bozongle »

Here we come Shock Value! 2nd at State this year, hopefully 1st next year!
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

Skink wrote:I'm working from really hazy memory here, but I think Robot Ramble is the one where my team wired a Dualshock (I thought this was neat) to a simple robot that went in an arena and had n minutes to move balls into holes in the corners of the arena somethingorother. I suspect they used a can or something to pick up the balls, that or some kind of claw mechanism. I can't remember. This was a long time ago.

Yeah, I think you're right.

I have no idea what RoboCross is though. I'm not even sure it's a real event, it's entirely possible that I just made it up.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

gneissisnice wrote:
Skink wrote:I'm working from really hazy memory here, but I think Robot Ramble is the one where my team wired a Dualshock (I thought this was neat) to a simple robot that went in an arena and had n minutes to move balls into holes in the corners of the arena somethingorother. I suspect they used a can or something to pick up the balls, that or some kind of claw mechanism. I can't remember. This was a long time ago.

I have no idea what RoboCross is though. I'm not even sure it's a real event, it's entirely possible that I just made it up.
RoboCross is definitely a real event - my coach was the national event supervisor for it, back in the day.
Here is a presentation he made about the event for the 2007-8 season: http://www.sciencenc.com/coaches-instit ... sent08.pdf
Here is a presentation he made about the event for the 2008-9 season: http://bsmsscienceolympiad.wikispaces.c ... B+2009.pdf
Here is a diagram of the RoboCross playing field: http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/con ... 0Field.pdf

Warning to font connoisseurs: my coach likes Comic Sans.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

gneissisnice wrote:

Robo-Cross is the building of a robot that has to do various tasks. I think it was an event in 2009. :3 I research these kinds of things.

EDIT: pigeon, ninja'd. xD
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Ah darn, I was going to post a reply! I actually did Robo-Cross in 7th grade XD. Note to self, remember to make sure batteries you use work...including backups (even though they were working they day before T.T). I remember having a bulldozer-ish robot (but I think in general people probably used vex kits...I just made whatever kit we had on hand). I remember having a field with your classic objects, and I think there was a "harder to get to" quarter of the field that was a bonus area (really I think it just had a slight bump...). Also, I was going to link the wiki pages haha.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

I could never do something like that. I'm just so uncoordinated when it comes to building things. But I might challenge myself and take on a building event next year in Div. C. Maybe Scrambler or Gravity-Powered Vehicle. .-. I'll probably get a design from here, on the forum, and try to build it.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

caseyotis wrote:I could never do something like that. I'm just so uncoordinated when it comes to building things. But I might challenge myself and take on a building event next year in Div. C. Maybe Scrambler or Gravity-Powered Vehicle. .-. I'll probably get a design from here, on the forum, and try to build it.
I mean, it mainly takes practice...I'm not a real builder, but building from a kit isn't that hard (the one I made wasn't at least...I guess some can be harder especially if you want to improve them/make them competitive). Also, don't underestimate the work for all the events I think I've seen you wanting to do.

Also, it's just Gravity Vehicle, not Gravity-Powered (though, the tentative list puts on Scrambler, which is probable since the vehicle events I think have two year rotations)! The vehicle events can be nice...but in general for builds I feel like you have everything straight and all (there are major issues if you just go, cut, and put a car together without paying attention unless you just happen to do it right). At the same time, everything takes practice/work (I hear the general consensus with why building is so hard for people is because they give up when thinking the end product is too hard to get). If you could help it of course getting help is a good option...
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

syo_astro wrote:
caseyotis wrote:I could never do something like that. I'm just so uncoordinated when it comes to building things. But I might challenge myself and take on a building event next year in Div. C. Maybe Scrambler or Gravity-Powered Vehicle. .-. I'll probably get a design from here, on the forum, and try to build it.
I mean, it mainly takes practice...I'm not a real builder, but building from a kit isn't that hard (the one I made wasn't at least...I guess some can be harder especially if you want to improve them/make them competitive). Also, don't underestimate the work for all the events I think I've seen you wanting to do.

Also, it's just Gravity Vehicle, not Gravity-Powered (though, the tentative list puts on Scrambler, which is probable since the vehicle events I think have two year rotations)! The vehicle events can be nice...but in general for builds I feel like you have everything straight and all (there are major issues if you just go, cut, and put a car together without paying attention unless you just happen to do it right). At the same time, everything takes practice/work (I hear the general consensus with why building is so hard for people is because they give up when thinking the end product is too hard to get). If you could help it of course getting help is a good option...
I guess so... I don't have a flair for building, and I certainly don't have a steady hand. I think I'm more up to working for a bunch of study events than a building event.

Oh. xD Sorry. Yeah, I've noticed that with my own team. I agree with that general consensus. One of my teammates just gave up on Helicopters because they thought it was too hard. >.> If I do end up trying out a building event, which I probably won't, I will need a lot of help.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

syo_astro wrote:Ah darn, I was going to post a reply! I actually did Robo-Cross in 7th grade XD. Note to self, remember to make sure batteries you use work...including backups (even though they were working they day before T.T). I remember having a bulldozer-ish robot (but I think in general people probably used vex kits...I just made whatever kit we had on hand). I remember having a field with your classic objects, and I think there was a "harder to get to" quarter of the field that was a bonus area (really I think it just had a slight bump...). Also, I was going to link the wiki pages haha.
I believe it was 1/2" quarter-round surrounding the bonus quarter - I recall making the field for my region.

Return to “General Competition”