What do you do at practices?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What do you do at practices?

Post by SOnerd »

We have parties after invites and regionals/state.
Last edited by SOnerd on March 24th, 2015, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Crzy
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Crzy »

We kind of screw around too, but as the competition gets closer (this weekend :shock: ) we get down to business! :mrgreen:
A wise man once said,"Hello."
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Crzy wrote:We kind of screw around too, but as the competition gets closer (this weekend :shock: ) we get down to business! :mrgreen:
Our competition is this weekend, and we were still screwing around on the last practice before competition.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Mortem_Haedo
State: OH

Post by Mortem_Haedo »

We meet twice a week, last year (when we formed) we met once a week for an hour but now our coach has conflictions and can only meet 30 minutes twice a week :(
But we stay after longer with other nice teachers
There are many different types of people. There's this guy with lab events he doesn't really "study" for so he just roams around the room and bothers others. Tech people build and study event people either screw around or just silently study (what I do) which is really BORING and can be done at home, so I eventually stop and screw around too. We meet with partners whenever we want, I do so during lunch xD
Study at home, meet for fun. :lol:
MHSscioly_1
Division: C

Post by MHSscioly_1 »

Can't forget about food. Tonight at Bungee Drop we had Paczkis. Those things are so good.
2014/2015 Events:
-Compound Machines, Green Generation, GeoLogic Mapping, and Mission Possible
1nxtmonster
State: PA

Post by 1nxtmonster »

Test build it events, eat, study, eat, eat, eat.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

What do I do at practices? Practice. Unless I'm tired, in which case I sit there and try to think, unsuccessfully.
Pigeon
State: CA

Post by Pigeon »

Eat lunch, haha. And then we go over our events with our partners, maybe update our cheat sheets if we feel up to it. Sometimes we as a team discuss what we're going to do for some of the builds. But mostly we eat!
ThatRoboGuy

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

Most specifically I run through an experiment for Experimental Design, write up a Write-It Do-It, then practice for Metric Mastery.
Here to help
Celestite
State: NJ

Post by Celestite »

So would you guys say that it's more effective to have a practice where everyone eats, plays, makes friends and gets to know each other, or is it better to be studying and practicing with your partners?
I'm sure a lot of answers will say that the best way to go is somewhere in between, but I think that eating and getting to know one another may be a bit more important than studying. It's a large part of science olympiad to have a tight knit community of friends, where everyone supports another, and I'm trying to figure out ways to do that to the science olympiad at my school. I see that a lot of the top scioly teams are very supportive and have a great community, and I'm wondering how they get that kind of feeling on the team.

My school right now uses practices for studying only, and I'm wondering if that's an effective method. In schools that usually do very well, they're always clapping and yelling and getting up to give any medal winners high fives during a medaling ceremony. But in our school, we're only clapping politely for one another. Any suggestions for how to make science olympiad teams stronger and more tight-knit?

Return to “General Competition”