Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Post Reply
Gearbox
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: March 20th, 2012, 10:47 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by Gearbox » May 3rd, 2014, 11:52 am

Anyone know how to build the protein prebuild for protein modeling?
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

Image

User avatar
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 116
Joined: February 23rd, 2008, 7:39 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by kentuckyfan1001 » May 3rd, 2014, 2:37 pm

zyzzyva980 wrote:Districts that have strong B-to-C connections are always going to have some form of an advantage- there's not much you can do about that. Also, C events typically do move back to B, because it's preferable to B events moving up to C (and the students that did them moving up with them)
Yep. You could say that for many of the events that are "unfair" - like the ID events, which are usually paired together anyways. At the least they do try to keep the mechanicals different.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 3183
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 173 times
Contact:

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 3rd, 2014, 4:40 pm

Gearbox wrote:Anyone know how to build the protein prebuild for protein modeling?
OH BOY SOMEONE ASKED A PROTEIN QUESTION

Well, first of all, there are threads here and here that have lots of great information. Also, the Center for Biomolecular Modeling, who sponsored the event before and probably will again, have information on their site about getting familiarized with modeling, and other pertinent info: http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/index.php

Good luck! I found Protein Modeling a really interesting event to do, even though I was usually more of an earth science/physics guy.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Gearbox
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: March 20th, 2012, 10:47 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by Gearbox » May 3rd, 2014, 7:11 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
Gearbox wrote:Anyone know how to build the protein prebuild for protein modeling?
OH BOY SOMEONE ASKED A PROTEIN QUESTION

Well, first of all, there are threads here and here that have lots of great information. Also, the Center for Biomolecular Modeling, who sponsored the event before and probably will again, have information on their site about getting familiarized with modeling, and other pertinent info: http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/index.php

Good luck! I found Protein Modeling a really interesting event to do, even though I was usually more of an earth science/physics guy.
Thank you so much, I find this info very helpful and cannot wait to get started with it next year. Btw, I think I saw u yesterday, Solar Systems?
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

Image

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 3183
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 173 times
Contact:

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 3rd, 2014, 7:19 pm

Yep, Solar System! I was only grading, but from what I saw it seemed to be a pretty good test. Got a nice range of scores too! You guys did pretty well, so good luck at nationals, and maybe you can bring home a medal! :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

ckssv07
Member
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: March 22nd, 2011, 7:33 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by ckssv07 » May 3rd, 2014, 7:54 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Yep, Solar System! I was only grading, but from what I saw it seemed to be a pretty good test. Got a nice range of scores too! You guys did pretty well, so good luck at nationals, and maybe you can bring home a medal! :)
Thanks but we had no idea what we were doing, we read the rules like a week before.

Gearbox
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: March 20th, 2012, 10:47 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by Gearbox » May 3rd, 2014, 8:10 pm

ckssv07 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Yep, Solar System! I was only grading, but from what I saw it seemed to be a pretty good test. Got a nice range of scores too! You guys did pretty well, so good luck at nationals, and maybe you can bring home a medal! :)
Thanks but we had no idea what we were doing, we read the rules like a week before.
Its true...
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

Image

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 3183
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 173 times
Contact:

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » May 4th, 2014, 6:31 am

Well... I guess now you have a little more time to study? :lol:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

User avatar
alwaysmatts
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: January 21st, 2014, 7:04 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by alwaysmatts » May 4th, 2014, 7:59 am

YUSO wrote:Can't give the source, but let's just say there are certain upsides to being a tournament director.

Next year's events (projected, but rarely do things change after this version) as of March 2014 are:
REDACTED

Basically, the guesses before are correct.

SO HAPPY to see Protein Modeling and Trajectory back on the list!!! (Blast back to the 2009-2010 season for me, that is)
is this accurate?
also, what is the green generation?
Scioly <3

User avatar
chinesesushi
Member
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: September 17th, 2013, 4:57 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by chinesesushi » May 4th, 2014, 9:33 am

Probably, given that last year's preliminary events looked to be in the same format.
Google it.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.

Post Reply

Return to “General Competition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests