Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Postby syo_astro » May 4th, 2014, 11:18 am

Multiple of the switches are already in cycle and are quite accurate. It is technically tentative (read "projected"), but as I just said that could maybe be more about the rules and whatnot specifically. If you don't think these are the switches, then you can always study/practice building for something else (or have fun doing something else in general!). Green Generation has been a national trial before, read through the trial events: http://www.soinc.org/trial_events.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

YUSO
State: CT

Postby YUSO » May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Can't give the source, but let's just say there are certain upsides to being a tournament director.

Next year's events (projected, but rarely do things change after this version) as of March 2014 are:

REDACTED

Basically, the guesses before are correct.

SO HAPPY to see Protein Modeling and Trajectory back on the list!!! (Blast back to the 2009-2010 season for me, that is)
is this accurate?
also, what is the green generation?
99% it is what it's going to turn out to be
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in January 2014 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: http://yuso.yale.edu/2014-results

Toms_42
State: PA

Postby Toms_42 » May 4th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Will Wright Stuff be with or without capacitors next year?
I doubt it, they would probably run a trial at Nationals this year for it if that was the case, and the event name wouldn't be the same.
sorry for responding to an old post, but they did do a div B trial for wright stuff-capacitors it in 2011. I hope it ends up being the case, as it was a fun year to be an alternate.

I'm a little bummed about the drop of circuit lab and maglev, as I am a freshmen currently interested in electronics (I'm in robo-x, shock, and have been helping my div c team with circuit) as well as meteorology, so seeing all of my favorite events go is disappointing. My plan is to do wright stuff, It's about Time, trajectory, and maybe mission, but those events already have people "claiming" them, which, at least at my school, means I probably have little chance at finding a good partner this late. On top of that, I am helping a friend manage and fund a small, rookie FRC team, which will consume a large amount of time. I guess I'm at a crossroads for whether or not I can keep up and want to continue putting so much time into scioly.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » May 4th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Will Wright Stuff be with or without capacitors next year?
I doubt it, they would probably run a trial at Nationals this year for it if that was the case, and the event name wouldn't be the same.
sorry for responding to an old post, but they did do a div B trial for wright stuff-capacitors it in 2011. I hope it ends up being the case, as it was a fun year to be an alternate.

I'm a little bummed about the drop of circuit lab and maglev, as I am a freshmen currently interested in electronics (I'm in robo-x, shock, and have been helping my div c team with circuit) as well as meteorology, so seeing all of my favorite events go is disappointing. My plan is to do wright stuff, It's about Time, trajectory, and maybe mission, but those events already have people "claiming" them, which, at least at my school, means I probably have little chance at finding a good partner this late. On top of that, I am helping a friend manage and fund a small, rookie FRC team, which will consume a large amount of time. I guess I'm at a crossroads for whether or not I can keep up and want to continue putting so much time into scioly.
Oh pleaseeee there's always time for scioly! Heh, and besides Div C has some of the best events like Geomaps...heh...AND ASTRO THE ACTUAL BEST EVENT EVER :p. It's About Time actually I find looks interesting.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy

Toms_42

Postby Toms_42 » May 4th, 2014, 8:46 pm

trust me I want to. It's just that the events I am interested in have people already studying for or proven to be good at. I'm interested in astro, but the two people who do it are VERY good at it, same with other events. also, if you don't know, FRC has a 6 week build period that will take up most of my time... scioly wil need to take second priority to that.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » May 4th, 2014, 9:12 pm

trust me I want to. It's just that the events I am interested in have people already studying for or proven to be good at. I'm interested in astro, but the two people who do it are VERY good at it, same with other events. also, if you don't know, FRC has a 6 week build period that will take up most of my time... scioly wil need to take second priority to that.
Actually, I do know about FRC. It just so happens my school only does FTC and sucks at it >.>. So...to each their own choice-wise. You'll figure out some balance of what you want to do and have fun with. As long as you're getting something out of it, that's what matters. To be honest, at my school majority of the time underclassmen don't get on our Team A because upperclassmen tend to take spots. But those underclassmen that stick around tend to get rewarded for clear reasons.

Toms_42

Postby Toms_42 » May 4th, 2014, 9:21 pm

I likely will keep at it, just not as competitively. And we too suck at First. (We didn't get last this year at states though! only second to last... haha)

Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN

Postby Astroknight » May 5th, 2014, 1:02 pm

I think we can all agree that Science Olympiad > FRC, though. I have friends who do First Lego League, and one who does FRC.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design

Toms_42

Postby Toms_42 » May 5th, 2014, 1:43 pm

FLL doesn't even come close. FRC is a blast for those 6 weeks of intense building though, especially if you have fun and dedicated teammates. Scioly is similar, but covers a much longer time period. and yes, I tend to enjoy scioly more, as we go to more tournaments and I have more friends doing it, but for the one or two FRC competitions, it is amazing.

Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN

Postby Astroknight » May 5th, 2014, 5:05 pm

It does seems like fun, and I might end up doing it if the school I end up attending doesn't have scioly. :|
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design

Return to “General Competition”