Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
fantasyfan
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Postby fantasyfan » May 21st, 2014, 7:54 pm

Astronomy will almost certainly NOT be exactly the same as this year. The DSO's in the rules change every year, and for several years now they've had different focus topics every year. However, what topic they'll choose this year is still unknown (at least to me).
I'm sorry about that, I don't know much about the vent, I was just going off of the predicted event chart, I placed the events in that category that weren't new and had no focus shift, I'll go back and edit that now
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!

Crazy Puny Man
Division: Grad
State: IN

Postby Crazy Puny Man » May 21st, 2014, 8:08 pm

Astronomy will almost certainly NOT be exactly the same as this year. The DSO's in the rules change every year, and for several years now they've had different focus topics every year. However, what topic they'll choose this year is still unknown (at least to me).
I'm sorry about that, I don't know much about the vent, I was just going off of the predicted event chart, I placed the events in that category that weren't new and had no focus shift, I'll go back and edit that now
Astronomy & TPS are two events that do tend to change from year to year, but they don't announce next year's topic beforehand like they do with other events such as Dynamic Planet & Anatomy

hmath729
State: CA

Postby hmath729 » May 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am

I think Immune won't go to Div B. I mean, it literally says on the wiki that Div B doesn't include the Immune system...
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-

fantasyfan

Postby fantasyfan » May 22nd, 2014, 4:14 am

I think Immune won't go to Div B. I mean, it literally says on the wiki that Div B doesn't include the Immune system...
1. The wiki is user created and grad moderated, so soinc officials don't get involved, typically. This means that the wiki reflects user experience and not the decisions of policy makers

2. That being said, I also found it unlikely, but I am going off of the event chart that YUSO posted here and then was redacted. Event decisions typically don't change after that chart is published.

Crazy Puny Man
Division: Grad
State: IN

Postby Crazy Puny Man » May 22nd, 2014, 7:06 am

That only refers to this year, not necessarily in future years. Whoever wrote that did so to distinguish between the B and C systems for this year only

alwaysmatts

Postby alwaysmatts » May 22nd, 2014, 5:44 pm

Since no one mentioned the projected focuses, I will do so now:

Anatomy divB: Immune(I don't know why this rotation happened, its kinda weird given Immune was a C only focus!!), Integumentary
Anatomy and Physiology: Immune, Integumentary, Cardiovascular (Which I would've expected for B instead of Immune!!)

Disease Detectives: Population Growth

Dynamic Planet: Oceanography

Meteorology: Climate

Chem Lab (Chemical Reactions/Stoichiometry & Kinetics)

Completely Stationary Events (events with no focus shift, there still might be differences) are for B Entomology, Solar System, Road Scholar, Simple Machines, Crime Busters, CJAP, Robo-Cross, Wheeled Vehicle, Experimental Design, and WI/DI;
and for C: Entomology, Astronomy, GeoMaps, Compound Machines, Forensics, Mission Possible, Scrambler, Bungee Drop, Experimental Design, TPS, WI/DI

And finally I'd Like to remind everyone that these are still only projected and won't be concrete until the Rules Manual is distributed Next Year
is ur prediction saying that the topic for tps will remain the same for next year?
Scioly <3

isaysroar
State: PA

Postby isaysroar » May 22nd, 2014, 6:13 pm

When do you suppose they'll post the official 2015 events?
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

fantasyfan

Postby fantasyfan » May 22nd, 2014, 6:26 pm

Since no one mentioned the projected focuses, I will do so now:

Anatomy divB: Immune(I don't know why this rotation happened, its kinda weird given Immune was a C only focus!!), Integumentary
Anatomy and Physiology: Immune, Integumentary, Cardiovascular (Which I would've expected for B instead of Immune!!)

Disease Detectives: Population Growth

Dynamic Planet: Oceanography

Meteorology: Climate

Chem Lab (Chemical Reactions/Stoichiometry & Kinetics)

Completely Stationary Events (events with no focus shift, there still might be differences) are for B Entomology, Solar System, Road Scholar, Simple Machines, Crime Busters, CJAP, Robo-Cross, Wheeled Vehicle, Experimental Design, and WI/DI;
and for C: Entomology, Astronomy, GeoMaps, Compound Machines, Forensics, Mission Possible, Scrambler, Bungee Drop, Experimental Design, TPS, WI/DI

And finally I'd Like to remind everyone that these are still only projected and won't be concrete until the Rules Manual is distributed Next Year
is ur prediction saying that the topic for tps will remain the same for next year?
I'm saying that the projections don't mention a topic shift for next year, although I have been recently informed that TPS and Astronomy typically don't have their topics released until the official rules come out, so the topic probably will shift.

pepino_picante
State: MN

Postby pepino_picante » May 23rd, 2014, 10:14 pm

For the Wright Gliders event for 2015, is it predicted to be elastic powered or capacitor powered?
Does anyone have any information??

Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Bazinga+ » May 24th, 2014, 11:04 am

well both are condidates right now. Most likely capacitor powered gliders because thats a new event and a trial event on their site. The only problem with that is the rules arent completely worked out yet. I personally hope they make it rubber band powered, since the capacitor powered version is either going to be impossible to get a decent time with, or people are going to get insane times of 10 mins+
Innovation =/= success

Return to “General Competition”