Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2014-2015 Events

Post by Astroknight »

YUSO wrote:
Crazy Puny Man wrote:Will Trajectory have like a mechanics/kinematics test for a theoretical portion? Or will it just be another one of those funny classifications, like Bungee?

EDIT: also, no themes for TPS? Or have those usually not been released until the rules manual is published?
No idea. Those things will have to wait until the rules come out.

TPS never used to have any themes back when I did it in 2009-2010. It was literally a grab bag of "can you think on your feet." The event at NY States that year included calorimetry, mass/volume estimation with calipers, Fermi-type questions, and so on. When topics started last year, they weren't released until the rules came out.
On that note, do you know what the topic's going to be for Solar System next year? The water and ice topic really shook everything up.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

I don't know at all what the topic will be for solar system! That's sure a warning. I would suppose they could go more specific like this year and go for planetary atmospheres, moons/rings, gravity and orbits/mechanics, volcanism, transits, or stuff related to the sun/heliophysics. There's certainly plenty more to mine ;). Also could depend on whether they want to make it more focused on certain objects like say gas giants, terrestrial planets, dwarf planets, or something totally different.

I'm also quite curious to see whether the astro topic changes or stays the same and only the DSOs change.

I assume for topic changes for stuff like these events they may not be revealed until later, but who knows. Recommendation is to keep eyes on the science olympiad part of AAVSO.org.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

syo_astro wrote:I don't know at all what the topic will be for solar system! That's sure a warning. I would suppose they could go more specific like this year and go for planetary atmospheres, moons/rings, gravity and orbits/mechanics, volcanism, transits, or stuff related to the sun/heliophysics. There's certainly plenty more to mine ;). Also could depend on whether they want to make it more focused on certain objects like say gas giants, terrestrial planets, dwarf planets, or something totally different.

I'm also quite curious to see whether the astro topic changes or stays the same and only the DSOs change.

I assume for topic changes for stuff like these events they may not be revealed until later, but who knows. Recommendation is to keep eyes on the science olympiad part of AAVSO.org.
I thought for sure Astro is changing back to galaxies >_>
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I think galaxies was a bit too recent for astro to change back to that just yet. Last time astro was variable stars, that was the topic for three or four straight years. Now, I don't think the same thing will happen this time around, but I would not be surprised to see the topic shift to a different aspect of variable stars, at least for one year. It's possible it changes back to galaxies, but I haven't heard that anywhere and it seems unlikely that they would have variables for just one year after having it for so long before.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I think galaxies was a bit too recent for astro to change back to that just yet. Last time astro was variable stars, that was the topic for three or four straight years. Now, I don't think the same thing will happen this time around, but I would not be surprised to see the topic shift to a different aspect of variable stars, at least for one year. It's possible it changes back to galaxies, but I haven't heard that anywhere and it seems unlikely that they would have variables for just one year after having it for so long before.
:D :D :D
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

I'm surprised to see Green Generation replacing Water Quality.

It makes sense since they're both environmental events, but Water Quality usually rotates out with Ecology, it's weird to lose Ecology. Especially when WQ and Ecology both rotate biomes, so it's never the same event from year to year.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

gneissisnice wrote:I'm surprised to see Green Generation replacing Water Quality.

It makes sense since they're both environmental events, but Water Quality usually rotates out with Ecology, it's weird to lose Ecology. Especially when WQ and Ecology both rotate biomes, so it's never the same event from year to year.
Agreed! I don't know if it's set in stone though for GG to be an event next year, though.
Medal Counter: 73
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

XJcwolfyX wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:I'm surprised to see Green Generation replacing Water Quality.

Agreed! I don't know if it's set in stone though for GG to be an event next year, though.
I don't think we're losing ecology, I think there's just another event added to the rotation.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by UQOnyx »

YESYESYES I HAVE BEEN WAITING SO LONG TO DO TRAJECTORY
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..
sjwon3789
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

Is Bridge Building the same as Elevated bridge?

Also, does Mission Possible change a lot from year to year?
(like would the concept change from energy transfers to something else? I would assume the bonus would change too?)
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible

Return to “General Competition”